Future Southern California Oath Ceremony Dates

75 posts in this topic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interview passed in Los Angeles, CA!

My experience:

Main backstory - I'm here on a 10 year GC that's set to expire in May; citizenship was never a high priority for me but as my GC neared expiration and my desire to travel without needing a visa for Europe and other countries pushed me over the edge finally. Prior to that I arrived in the US with my parents in 1993. In April of 2012 I'll have been in the US for 19 years!

Big issue was in 2005 I was arrested for essentially shoplifting (took an item with 20 dollar value from a place I thought was closed but turns out was being attended to); I did community service and the case was dismissed.

So the big complication was getting all the paperwork for that. I was ready for my interview to go well but for them to not approve me on the spot, because of this.

My timeline real quick:

11/09/11 - NOA

12/06/11 - Fingerprints

1/25/11 - scheduled for interview

3/07/11 - Interview

I brought with me, just to be certain: all certified copies of my court issues, certified copy of driving records (I had two speeding tickets I disclosed), all my old passports, my DL, GC, my selective service card, 5 years of tax returns, and in the car on the way to the interview I played the study guide CD on random play to refresh.

My appointment time was at noon in Los Angeles, I arrived at 11 to find the line was super long. I was hoping to have enough time to go to the place in the building where you can get passport photos quickly, as the document said it was recommended to bring another pair, but the line was so long I didn't want to risk it. Luckily they cordoned off the people getting interviewed and put them on a separate line that moved quicker.

Got to the waiting area at 11:30; there's a window where you place your appointment letter to let them know you've arrived, then you wait in the waiting area.... where I waited... FOR TWO HOURS! I was finally called in at around 1:45, almost two hours after my appointment time. There were still tons of people there and it seemed like some would wait all day.

My interviewer was an older white man, seemed to be the only white person interviewing people. He was friendly but softspoken and didn't seem to want to make much chitchat (probably a good idea because if things go wrong it might really upset people). He had me surrender my driver's license and green card, and then had me stand up and take the oath.

Then he had me take the test. Can barely remember the questions, I think they were:

1) What does the Cabinet do?

2) What did the Declaration of Independence do?

3) How many years do we elect a senator for?

4) What is an amendment?

And now I can't even remember the rest. All easy stuff though, and I got all 6 right so they skipped the rest.

Then they asked me to read "Columbus Day is on what month" and had me write "Columbus Day is in October." Or something. At around this same time I heard the interviewer next door having real trouble with the comprehension of his interviewee... at one point I heard him say loudly "NO, sorry, that's the incorrect answer" as though the man kept repeating the wrong answer insisting it was right. Later the interviewer told the guy to write down "George Washington was the first president" and the man SIGNED HIS NAME, and the interviewer yelled again, shocked. I feel like that guy might not have passed his interview.

Then my interviewer went through my entire application one by one, very matter of factly. When they got to my arrest issue, he confirmed that I did community service for 20 hours and charge was dismissed. He did NOT ask for any documentation, even though I had only sent photocopies with my N400. He asked about my speeding tickets, but didn't ask anything either.

He DID ask for my Selective Service registration, which I got a few months ago via the mail (I don't remember ever getting it when I originally registered). Then he had me sign a few forms, make sure my name and address was correct for my certificate, and then made a photocopy of my SS registration, my GC, and my license. When he returned he handed me the form saying he was recommending me for approval! I thanked him and left (again he didn't seem all that excited, but hey an approval is an approval).

He did mention that the oath ceremony may be 2-3 months away, which I was surprised by. He said it could be shorter but he can't promise that. Next two oath ceremonies are March 22nd and April 17th, hopefully I can get at least the April one.

It's the best outcome I could possibly ask for, and after calling my mom and dad I picked up my fiancee and we had lunch at Pink's Hot Dog in Hollywood, seemed like a very American thing to do!

Interview passed in Los Angeles, CA!

My experience:

Main backstory - I'm here on a 10 year GC that's set to expire in May; citizenship was never a high priority for me but as my GC neared expiration and my desire to travel without needing a visa for Europe and other countries pushed me over the edge finally. Prior to that I arrived in the US with my parents in 1993. In April of 2012 I'll have been in the US for 19 years!

Big issue was in 2005 I was arrested for essentially shoplifting (took an item with 20 dollar value from a place I thought was closed but turns out was being attended to); I did community service and the case was dismissed.

So the big complication was getting all the paperwork for that. I was ready for my interview to go well but for them to not approve me on the spot, because of this.

My timeline real quick:

11/09/11 - NOA

12/06/11 - Fingerprints

1/25/11 - scheduled for interview

3/07/11 - Interview

I brought with me, just to be certain: all certified copies of my court issues, certified copy of driving records (I had two speeding tickets I disclosed), all my old passports, my DL, GC, my selective service card, 5 years of tax returns, and in the car on the way to the interview I played the study guide CD on random play to refresh.

My appointment time was at noon in Los Angeles, I arrived at 11 to find the line was super long. I was hoping to have enough time to go to the place in the building where you can get passport photos quickly, as the document said it was recommended to bring another pair, but the line was so long I didn't want to risk it. Luckily they cordoned off the people getting interviewed and put them on a separate line that moved quicker.

Got to the waiting area at 11:30; there's a window where you place your appointment letter to let them know you've arrived, then you wait in the waiting area.... where I waited... FOR TWO HOURS! I was finally called in at around 1:45, almost two hours after my appointment time. There were still tons of people there and it seemed like some would wait all day.

My interviewer was an older white man, seemed to be the only white person interviewing people. He was friendly but softspoken and didn't seem to want to make much chitchat (probably a good idea because if things go wrong it might really upset people). He had me surrender my driver's license and green card, and then had me stand up and take the oath.

Then he had me take the test. Can barely remember the questions, I think they were:

1) What does the Cabinet do?

2) What did the Declaration of Independence do?

3) How many years do we elect a senator for?

4) What is an amendment?

And now I can't even remember the rest. All easy stuff though, and I got all 6 right so they skipped the rest.

Then they asked me to read "Columbus Day is on what month" and had me write "Columbus Day is in October." Or something. At around this same time I heard the interviewer next door having real trouble with the comprehension of his interviewee... at one point I heard him say loudly "NO, sorry, that's the incorrect answer" as though the man kept repeating the wrong answer insisting it was right. Later the interviewer told the guy to write down "George Washington was the first president" and the man SIGNED HIS NAME, and the interviewer yelled again, shocked. I feel like that guy might not have passed his interview.

Then my interviewer went through my entire application one by one, very matter of factly. When they got to my arrest issue, he confirmed that I did community service for 20 hours and charge was dismissed. He did NOT ask for any documentation, even though I had only sent photocopies with my N400. He asked about my speeding tickets, but didn't ask anything either.

He DID ask for my Selective Service registration, which I got a few months ago via the mail (I don't remember ever getting it when I originally registered). Then he had me sign a few forms, make sure my name and address was correct for my certificate, and then made a photocopy of my SS registration, my GC, and my license. When he returned he handed me the form saying he was recommending me for approval! I thanked him and left (again he didn't seem all that excited, but hey an approval is an approval).

He did mention that the oath ceremony may be 2-3 months away, which I was surprised by. He said it could be shorter but he can't promise that. Next two oath ceremonies are March 22nd and April 17th, hopefully I can get at least the April one.

It's the best outcome I could possibly ask for, and after calling my mom and dad I picked up my fiancee and we had lunch at Pink's Hot Dog in Hollywood, seemed like a very American thing to do!

congrats on ur approval.........bt wait for 2-3 months is little disappointing me ):

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Yayyyyyyy yayyyyyyyyyy! Congrats!!!!!!! i never got ask for Selective Service registration but i did gave him all my certified court disposition like 8 of them he also had me sign a few forms, make sure my name and address was correct for my certificate hopefully that's a good sign ! blush.gif

congrats on ur approval.........bt wait for 2-3 months is little disappointing me ):

Edited by Joker69

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi arvin, my interview was today. it went great and i got my approval letter. I didn't wait too long just 30 min and then got called. It took only 20 min for the interview. It was not hard at all. Six simple questions; one sentence to read and one sentence to write. The officer told me to wait for 90 days maximum for oath letter and he said it's gonna be done before april anyways......so let's see. gud luck to u too. And let me knw abt ur experience too (:

Sounds like you will get March 22 in that case! That's when I have my Oath Ceremenony too (My interview was in Santa Ana last month my experience was very similar to yours, all very simple and over very quickly!)

Sounds like you will get March 22 in that case! That's when I have my Oath Ceremenony too (My interview was in Santa Ana last month my experience was very similar to yours, all very simple and over very quickly!)

when did u have ur interview and r u done with ur oath by now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

when did u have ur interview and r u done with ur oath by now?

My interview was on Feb 21 and my Oath will be on March 22.

For those still waiting for interviews I would say just have everything in order, know the answers to the civics questions (they are pretty easy!) and you should be fine.

My interview was on Feb 21 and my Oath will be on March 22.

For those still waiting for interviews I would say just have everything in order, know the answers to the civics questions (they are pretty easy!) and you should be fine.

That means there are not good chances for me to get march 22 for oath ceremony as i just did my interview on march 6 ):

That means there are not good chances for me to get march 22 for oath ceremony as i just did my interview on march 6 ):

Yeah looks like you and me Sonia (and Joker too hopefully) will probably be looking at April. Hey, it's better than May or June!

Yeah looks like you and me Sonia (and Joker too hopefully) will probably be looking at April. Hey, it's better than May or June!

yea right better than may or june bt in that case i would miss my sister's wedding in april ): ):

Found this info that may be useful for you guys.

Naturalization Ceremonies. CA

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Timeline

OMG !!! that would be nice in April but who know's! it's still a wating GAME and it can be for a while its only for what I've read in the forums...

Edited by Joker69

Got this today, had you guys gotten it also? Any chance at all that notice is gonna say March 22? ;)

Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Your Case Status: Oath Ceremony

On March 9, 2012, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies.

Timeline

Wow! that was fast nice congrats! so you know now its official on the way yayyyyyyy! I'm happy for you

Got this today, had you guys gotten it also? Any chance at all that notice is gonna say March 22? ;)

On March 9, 2012, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies.

Edited by Joker69

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules

same day oath ceremonies.

Oh wow!!!!!!! congrats, bt my status still says "testing and interview" ): let us knw when u recieve ur letter .........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.