lynn2018

Cell phones in Morocco

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi guys!! hope everyone is having a good week and hope you have an amazing upcoming weekend! my Fiance' is from Morocco and right now he is having trouble with his cell phone. i want to get him a phone where he can use his sim card within it. anyone know of good phones used overseas?! i would love to have one that he can load skype to it or get from the app market so we are able to talk with each over through skype on our cell phones. i have looked on ebay and amazon but i dont really know much about cellphones and what will work overseas. im also trying to surprise him so im not wanting to ask him anymore questions than i have to. let me know if anyone has insight with this! THANKS!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Buy a phone with your current provider. Then call their tech support and tell them you will be traveling overseas and would like to unlock the phone for use with a foreign sim card. Note that this will not work with a Verizon or a Sprint phone, only ATT, Cricket, or Tmobile. Otherwise, you'd have to buy an unlocked phone off of Ebay. The phone has to be unlocked to use with a network other than the one it was originally assigned to. Unlocked phones are usually more expensive to buy, that's why I suggest you get one from your provider if you can. When you send it, make sure you have it insured for the full amount it's worth. He'll have to pay a tariff to get it out of customs, but at least if it's lost or stolen, you'll be covered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks guys! his phone the screen has went out on it and he cant see texts or see incoming calls. i have been looking on ebay and whatnot for unlocked phones to send him but didnt know if certain ones were better than another. what do you mean when u say he will have to pay a tariff? im new at this :-/ i would wait and just take with me in dec but id like for him to have it before then.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks guys! his phone the screen has went out on it and he cant see texts or see incoming calls. i have been looking on ebay and whatnot for unlocked phones to send him but didnt know if certain ones were better than another. what do you mean when u say he will have to pay a tariff? im new at this :-/ i would wait and just take with me in dec but id like for him to have it before then.

Unlocked Cell phones are widely available in Morocco for prices starting from $30 (sometimes even cheaper) . I would not recommend sending him a phone from the US because he will have to pay a ridiculously expensive custom fee. But if you really insist on getting him one :

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1317341108

Good luck

Edited by Basalt

I was thinking the same thing about the price of cell phones there.

Also the cost of sending it to morocco in any safe way would be more than the phone in morocco costs.

A piece of unsolicited advice - be careful of buying & sending things to anyone in another country youbhavent met.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Phone are not expensive in Morocco ... if you want to buy unlocked phone here and send it to morocco will cost you a lot of money ... i am not sure if you agree to the idea of sending him money to get a phone ... but if your fiancee works and have a minimum wage salary or no salary at all , he will be able to get a phone so you can reach him.

"An unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you want him to have internet on his phone, he will have to have a data plan... which means it might be easier to wire him money for a data plan and he can get a discount on a nice phone when he gets his plan...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.