rebeccajo

Hard Drive Crash

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Same thing happend to me a while back. I had a storage drive (D drive) with all my pictures of Luz, thousands of MP3's and all my tax records. One day it started giving me weird "file not found" errors when I tried to access it. Then it started clicking. I rushed right out and bought a new drive. After my old drive cooled off for an hour it would let me access it long enough to copy a gig or so over to the new drive. I repeated that until I had all 50 gigs copied. Very close call. Now I burn stuff I can't afford to loose to a DVD. That reminds me, I need to back up again! :D

Another thing to keep in mind. The DVDs (and CDs) that you "burn" on a PC are not as long-lasting as we once thought. Professional pre-recorded DVDs/CDs have a thin metal plate inside which has pits burned into it by a laser, so are essentially permanent, unless they are not properly sealed at the factory (which is pretty rare). DVDs/CDs that you burn at home are different. Instead of a metal plate, they have a disc with a kind of ink which, when exposed to a laser, turns dark. The dark spots correspond to the pits on professional discs. The problem is, over time the ink fades, making the disc unreadable. Instead of decades, the useful life is measured in years. It is highly recommended to make copies of your home-burned DVDs/CDs every couple years or so. I also make at least two copies whenever I burn a DVD, just in case one fails prematurely.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Same thing happend to me a while back. I had a storage drive (D drive) with all my pictures of Luz, thousands of MP3's and all my tax records. One day it started giving me weird "file not found" errors when I tried to access it. Then it started clicking. I rushed right out and bought a new drive. After my old drive cooled off for an hour it would let me access it long enough to copy a gig or so over to the new drive. I repeated that until I had all 50 gigs copied. Very close call. Now I burn stuff I can't afford to loose to a DVD. That reminds me, I need to back up again! :D

Another thing to keep in mind. The DVDs (and CDs) that you "burn" on a PC are not as long-lasting as we once thought. Professional pre-recorded DVDs/CDs have a thin metal plate inside which has pits burned into it by a laser, so are essentially permanent, unless they are not properly sealed at the factory (which is pretty rare). DVDs/CDs that you burn at home are different. Instead of a metal plate, they have a disc with a kind of ink which, when exposed to a laser, turns dark. The dark spots correspond to the pits on professional discs. The problem is, over time the ink fades, making the disc unreadable. Instead of decades, the useful life is measured in years. It is highly recommended to make copies of your home-burned DVDs/CDs every couple years or so. I also make at least two copies whenever I burn a DVD, just in case one fails prematurely.

Cool information.... thanks!! :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

also plan on the expected life of that cd/dvd to be about 4 years.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

also plan on the expected life of that cd/dvd to be about 4 years.

There are DVD/CDs that should last 100 years plus. The problem is the format will have changed by then. There are online data storage options available that will update the format of your data as time changes.

ATT online backup

Gold media for 300 years of storage

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Oh - the hard drive is toast. Bummer.

Sorry about that! It's happend to me too many times in the past. Now I won't touch a computer without a RAID array.

Bartek