J.J. & Diana

Medical Exam for K-1 immigrant

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm curious about the experiences of those of you who have gone through the medical exam in the foreign country or who's significant other did and what the experiences were. Like... what exactly do they test for with the blood tests and what do they ask you to do in the exam?

I know the USCIS website says the blood test is for HIV and syphilis but is there anything else or do they just specifically check only for those?

Thanks to all for your input!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
I'm curious about the experiences of those of you who have gone through the medical exam in the foreign country or who's significant other did and what the experiences were. Like... what exactly do they test for with the blood tests and what do they ask you to do in the exam?

I know the USCIS website says the blood test is for HIV and syphilis but is there anything else or do they just specifically check only for those?

Thanks to all for your input!

Exam is simple, heart, bood pressure, eyes... medical questionnaire... In Paris blood test is for HIV and syphilis or viruses of that family (VDLR), that is all, also a lung X ray for tuberculosis.

Nothing 'hidden' in the tests...

- Carole -

K1 journey (2006) - the toughest one!

03/30/06 - I-129F mailed

07/31/06 - NOA2

08/26/06 - Packet 3 received

09/07/06 - Checklist sent back to Embassy

09/16/06 - Packet 4 received

10/03/06 - Interview

10/07/06 - Visa received by post

10/22/06 - Entered USA

01/06/07 - Wedding :-)

AOS journey (2007) - getting easier!

01/18/07 - AOS and EAD applications sent (USPS)

01/23/07 - NOA received

02/14/07 - Biometrics appointment

03/16/07 - Initial interview for AOS

04/08/07 - EAD card received

06/11/07 - CA Driver's License. EAD was needed to be allowed to pass the test in CA :((

07/23/07 - CONDITIONAL GREEN CARD!

I-751 journey (2009) - so much easier!

04/27/09 - Sent I-751 by regular mail

04/29/09 - NOA1 (received by mail on 05/12/09)

07/01/09 - Biometrics appointment (received by mail on 06/20/09)

07/25/09 - Approved - card in preparation (received by mail on 07/31/09)

07/29/09 - Card produced (received by mail on 08/05/09)

Taking a break from USCIS before applying for citizenship...

----

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

They do check for HIV and syphilis. The doctor may also ask for serology of some diseases if the applicant doesn't have their vaccine records (I was tested for varicella). The doctor also asked me to take some vaccines (according to age/medical history) and asked for a chest X-ray.

I answered a lot of questions to determine medical history. Very straightforward and simple questions. Then I had the "say 33" thing, a very basic eye test (with glasses on) - reading letters from a chart across the room, then he peeked "down there" and I had a very basic breast exam. Some other girls were asked to bring a basic gynecological exam report from their doctors. Oh, yeah, and he asked me to open my mouth - he said they have to make sure we have teeth.

With the test results, I went back to the doctor and he typed the report I'm supposed to bring to the interview. He also gave me a copy of the vaccine sheet that will be needed / will be useful for AOS.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

I'm not sure whether the procedures are exactly the same in other countries. I'd guess they'd have to be extremely similar, because I assume there must be regulations for that.

I cannot say that they'll only ask for HIV and syphillis - but that's what the doctor appointed by the consulate asked me for. And yes, breast exam and peek 'down there' was needed in my case. He said that they need to check whether women had been mutilated and they also check for STDs scars. But like I said, other doctors in different cities asked for the gynecological exam report from their doctors to be brought to the appointment and the whole undressing thing wasn't needed at the appointment.

Also, the appointment happens in 2 different dates - at least for me. On one date, the doctor asked questions and I had the exams at the office. He asked me for whatever blood tests neeeded, vaccines and X-ray. When I had them ready, I got to the office again and he completed the report.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Mew, are you from Sao Paulo? If yes, who was your doctor?

I called Dr. Celso Fava and a very nice woman said me which exams I had to do. I have them already done. Dr. Celso will be back from vaccation on 09/25 and I am going to schedule my appointment. :)

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Timeline
Mew, are you from Sao Paulo? If yes, who was your doctor?

I called Dr. Celso Fava and a very nice woman said me which exams I had to do. I have them already done. Dr. Celso will be back from vaccation on 09/25 and I am going to schedule my appointment. :)

Yes, I'm from São Paulo and I had my appointment with Dr. Edwin. Very nice doctor, very helpful, answered all my questions and was kind enough to explain a lot the medical.

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.