VinhBao MyTam

Interview next month

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My SO has her interview on October 17th. She gave me a list of what she needs from me:

I-134 Form original signed, which she mentioned I had already done... but I haven't... actually until this minute, I was thinking of a different form, but ok, that settles that one.

1040 & W-2 from 2010

Job Letter (what do we need for this, b/c I promise my job is one of those kinds that makes you go through a toll-free or website to verify employment)

Bank Statement

Birth Certificate

Why would they need my birth certificate? My citizenship has already been established on this side. They don't have a right to re-adjudicate that right?

She also asked for a copy of everything I sent in with the petition, which I hope I can find... though they should definitely have that.

Anyway, it's been a LOOOOOOONG while since I've been in the chats, being back to work and all, any important advice at this point? How has it been going in our beloved HCM lately?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

US Embassy looked at my USC husbands original birth cert and original divorce papers and compared them right in front of me, then handed back the originals and nothing else was said about it during the interview.

I'm assuming its to make sure they are not fake and that you are who you say you are because you have access to the originals etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

My SO has her interview on October 17th. She gave me a list of what she needs from me:

I-134 Form original signed, which she mentioned I had already done... but I haven't... actually until this minute, I was thinking of a different form, but ok, that settles that one.

1040 & W-2 from 2010

Job Letter (what do we need for this, b/c I promise my job is one of those kinds that makes you go through a toll-free or website to verify employment)

Bank Statement

Birth Certificate

Why would they need my birth certificate? My citizenship has already been established on this side. They don't have a right to re-adjudicate that right?

She also asked for a copy of everything I sent in with the petition, which I hope I can find... though they should definitely have that.

Anyway, it's been a LOOOOOOONG while since I've been in the chats, being back to work and all, any important advice at this point? How has it been going in our beloved HCM lately?

You should download the appointment package from the Consulate website to get all the required docs ready..

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/iv/forms/package.html

Job letter - all you need is a one-page employment verification letter from personnel/HR stating your employment status, since when, job tittle..etc on a company letter head. You let them worry about verify it if needed :)

For the interview, if you read the appointment package..they need the original BC of both of you. May be not in your case, but lots of time..for example the last names are the same and they want to see if there is a family connection/relationship.

You should have made photocopies of the I129F package you sent in to USCIS..and gave her a copy. Bring back all the original bona fide stuffs for her interview.

Remember the new letter of intent for your I-134.

Go through the appointment package (Pkg 4) if you don't have it already..get most of items ready for the interview. Good luck!!

Timeline

Thanks for the reminder on the new letter of intent. That would have been forgotten.

What I mean about the employer is that they don't write letters. There is just a number that can be called to verify employment. I guess I can call H/R tomorrow and ask them to make an exception or else I'll call the toll free number and see if I can be issued a letter that way.

I'm just against the notion of the birth certificate, but in the end, I don't actually mind sending it.

I scanned in everything I sent with the petition since it was hundreds of pages with the call logs and since had a computer crash, but hopefully that part was on my backup. I guess now would be a good time to check that. But wasn't the whole point of sending that before so they would already have it?

Does anyone think it's gonna be an issue that I'm not coming for the interview? I just think it's unnecessary :-) As much as I'd like to see her I'm not rich like that.

Last year I was on unemployment so that's all the tax forms will show--though now I have a bonafide job. I hope that's ok too.

I am definitely not an organized paperwork person. :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was also against the birth certificate but luckily they didn't make a deal out of it. I'm Viet Kieu so I had it translate to English notary stamped and copy the original birth certificate. It is not an issue that you can't be there. When submitting documents I had a binder with tabs labeling each section with a Table of Contents. So when they ask for the document she can easily locate it quickly. I made sure she knows the document names so I label it English and VNese. Best wishes and good luck for both of you guys!!

sorry to hijack, but I'm trying to understand this a bit...so a copy of the birth certificate as long as it's notarized is fine?? and everything has to be in English?? nothing has to be translated to Viet?? Thanks, Long

Edited by long&kieu

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

sorry to hijack, but I'm trying to understand this a bit...so a copy of the birth certificate as long as it's notarized is fine?? and everything has to be in English?? nothing has to be translated to Viet?? Thanks, Long

You don't even need to translate it. Viet or English is fine. My original birth certificate is in Viet. I just copied that. I just went the extra step. I took the original and got it translate into English. I didn't want the risk of it being lost. They never saw my original birth certificate but they have copy of it. The consulate actually want the original and a copy. Hope this explains it. Don't worry about the translating, it is not needed . They can read Viet and English

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I didn't have my birth certificate and didn't submit it.

They didn't make a big deal out of it. My wife and I and different last names.

I think that's why they didn't ask for mine. She submitted her's.

Filed: Timeline

about the employment letter, my company too uses the 800 number or website for job verification, but I talked to HR, and explained that i needed a letter for immigration purposes because I was sponsoring my wife, and my employer obliged. it's not a requirement anyways, but certainly nice to have.

if you are worried about the birth certificate, just bring the original, but don't submit it unless they ask. if you don't bring it, and they ask, then you might get a blue for that.

i think it's a good idea to show up at the interview if you can, seems like more pinks were given when the petitioner was there, but there were also some where it was just the beneficiary at the interview and still got pink, so if you can't make it, don't worry, it's certainly not a requirement. though, i think, if you are there, it may increase your chance for a pink. it also gives your wife moral support, my wife was very jittery on the interview day. I was too, but i tried to hide it and tried to make my wife feel better.

to be sure, all the documents that you need to provide are in the appointment letter. you also need the appointment letter for your wife's medical.

Edited by Dan_P

Timeline

i think it's a good idea to show up at the interview if you can, seems like more pinks were given when the petitioner was there, but there were also some where it was just the beneficiary at the interview and still got pink, so if you can't make it, don't worry, it's certainly not a requirement. though, i think, if you are there, it may increase your chance for a pink. it also gives your wife moral support, my wife was very jittery on the interview day. I was too, but i tried to hide it and tried to make my wife feel better.

But when you say 'show up at the interview' my understanding is that you can't show up at the interview. They won't let you in anyway. If we could both be there, I'd have planned to go for it in a second... but with the fact that even if I were to fly all the way over there, I'd just sit across the street anyway, it didn't make sense!

How do they even know if you're there if you don't get to go in?

Timeline

But when you say 'show up at the interview' my understanding is that you can't show up at the interview. They won't let you in anyway. If we could both be there, I'd have planned to go for it in a second... but with the fact that even if I were to fly all the way over there, I'd just sit across the street anyway, it didn't make sense!

How do they even know if you're there if you don't get to go in?

The rules have changed. They let you into the interview with your significant other now at the HCM consulate.

Timeline

The rules have changed. They let you into the interview with your significant other now at the HCM consulate.

You have got to be kidding! That's a huge change. When? I mean it's waaaaay to late to plan to go in like 3 weeks from now. But I don't think they'll reject her, so I guess if they call her back for a second interview I ought to do my best to be there.

Filed: Timeline

You have got to be kidding! That's a huge change. When? I mean it's waaaaay to late to plan to go in like 3 weeks from now. But I don't think they'll reject her, so I guess if they call her back for a second interview I ought to do my best to be there.

Yeah, they let the so into the consulate now. 3 weeks should be enough time to buy a ticket and get the visa this time of year, if you can get time off work. If you go, be prepared, they may ask you questions.

Timeline

Yeah, they let the so into the consulate now. 3 weeks should be enough time to buy a ticket and get the visa this time of year, if you can get time off work. If you go, be prepared, they may ask you questions.

Questions I can handle. The cost of a ticket is a bit on the high side for me right now. I could probably take enough time off work to finagle 10 days or so abroad, but then I wouldn't have any time left for wedding/honeymoon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.