Anna C.

Anybody a tip or hint for Linux?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi anyone,

My beloved laptop crashed yesterday. Windows won't start anymore. Since I assumed to spend only 6 months in the US (came as j1 trainee) I didn't bring any installation CDs. And Windows is about 100 bucks!!! So I decided to download a Linux version since it is for free. It is called Mandriva. I read positive reviews about it.

Does anyone of you use Linux and might have helpful tips for me?

I also know that I won't be able to play my favourite game (simcity) since it is for Windows or MAC ony. Do you know if there is a program for Linux which kinda emulates Windows so that I am able to play my game (the SimCIty CD I brought! yeah! what else could I do all day!!)?

Thanks,

Anna.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What specifically are you looking for with Linux besides generic tips? Linux can be everything from desktop environment (like windows) to web server and internet gateways.

as to playing games... there is WINE and Lindows programs available that will run programs in windows mode... just for games.. havent tried so not sure how well that will be.

Mandriva is a decent distro. there is also Ubunto, Suse, and Fedora as other common distros (just to give a few other names in case you want to try them later)

one hint though... when settig up the virtual desktop... make it at least 2X3 so you have 6 VDT's to use and go back and forth with. Dowload OpenOffice as well (or it might be with distro of Mandriva, dont know)

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline

Thanks Mirorgate!

I need a Desktop version - simply to run all my applications (OpenOffice is included in Mandriva). I worked with Suse at college, but I didn't like it too much. I am not able to program anything, just to use, so an easy version would be best.

I will google the programs you suggested to run my game...

I mostly use my Laptop for writing, emailing, internet, game, work on photos and watch videos (has a s-video port).

Do you know if I will encounter problems using my netgear wireless card? All my components are brand components (Infineon, ATI, Fujitsu, Intel Pentium 4, Netgear, LG, Logitech). I am pretty sure that on their websites they offer driver's for Linux, though Mandriva claims to be compatible with most devices.

Thanks! :)

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

Removal of conditions

Citizenship

Done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Thanks Mirorgate!

I need a Desktop version - simply to run all my applications (OpenOffice is included in Mandriva). I worked with Suse at college, but I didn't like it too much. I am not able to program anything, just to use, so an easy version would be best.

I will google the programs you suggested to run my game...

I mostly use my Laptop for writing, emailing, internet, game, work on photos and watch videos (has a s-video port).

Do you know if I will encounter problems using my netgear wireless card? All my components are brand components (Infineon, ATI, Fujitsu, Intel Pentium 4, Netgear, LG, Logitech). I am pretty sure that on their websites they offer driver's for Linux, though Mandriva claims to be compatible with most devices.

Thanks! :)

I honestly havent used Mandriva... though it used to be Mandrake earlier distro. most things now-a-days with Linux are plug n play... so you should be good. just when installing new hardware choose from dropdown (had to do that with my net-card with fedora) its simple enough now. for the simple desktop stuff like that... Fedora "might" be a better fit for you since they have had a lot of desktop functionality built in... but again I havent used mandriva so cant say for certain. when installing (if you havent yet) use teh manual choice option so you know exactly what you are installing v "load everything" .. just an fyi

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline

Thanks! I will follow your advice. I hope my lil' laptop will make it!

:) Anna

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

Removal of conditions

Citizenship

Done!