Peace....

Moroccan KHOBZ bread recipe needed

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

Since my husband arrived here from Morocco, I have been playing around with many traditional recipes that come from Morocco. I have tried to stay as traditional as possible when it comes to flavors, spices etc as possible. The internet, you tube, has been pretty helpful as well.

Last night, I wanted to make some bread "Khobz". For those of you who have travelled to Morocco you know what bread I am speaking about as it is sold every where on the streets for dinner with mostly tagines.

So I have searched every single recipe on the internet and watched all LOL videos on You tube. My problem is, with all these recipes the bread comes out to hard and crispy on the outside (which as we know it's suppose to be kinda soft and able to just pull apart kinda like pita bread).

I am only using All purpose flour for this recipe, could that be the issue??? What about other types of flour. My husband's mom said it has to be the flour I am using, as all the other ingredients are fine.

So if there is anyone out there with moroccan husbands who knows anything about this bread, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make this bread.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You know I have tried making some things that my hubby would like. He is not here yet but I thought I would try. My sister in-law who is here in the states tried to teach me how to make the bread but mines never turns out like hers... LOL... At this point I have given up. We have 3 Moroccan restaurants in our area so when he is missing the foods from home we can go there :0) LOL Also it Occured to me... I have visited Morocco 3 times my last visit was 3 moths long and not once did anyone try to make anything I would have at home... LOL I was craving tacos like crazy lol and all I got was some nasty Mc Donalds... Try cooking with Alia she is on facebook and she has a website. She also has a book but there is no recipe for bread in it but maybe you can send her a message and she can give you some pointers :0)

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello all,

Since my husband arrived here from Morocco, I have been playing around with many traditional recipes that come from Morocco. I have tried to stay as traditional as possible when it comes to flavors, spices etc as possible. The internet, you tube, has been pretty helpful as well.

Last night, I wanted to make some bread "Khobz". For those of you who have travelled to Morocco you know what bread I am speaking about as it is sold every where on the streets for dinner with mostly tagines.

So I have searched every single recipe on the internet and watched all LOL videos on You tube. My problem is, with all these recipes the bread comes out to hard and crispy on the outside (which as we know it's suppose to be kinda soft and able to just pull apart kinda like pita bread).

I am only using All purpose flour for this recipe, could that be the issue??? What about other types of flour. My husband's mom said it has to be the flour I am using, as all the other ingredients are fine.

So if there is anyone out there with moroccan husbands who knows anything about this bread, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to make this bread.

Hi,

Just type the word "choumicha" on Youtube and you will have hundreds of Moroccan food recipes popping up. Good luck :):star:

Edited by Basalt

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The bread my inlaws made in the house always seemed to turn out harder than the stuff sold on the street. I guess there's more than one way to make it?

Timeline

Also it Occured to me... I have visited Morocco 3 times my last visit was 3 moths long and not once did anyone try to make anything I would have at home...

That might be a good thing. I really like my husbands parents. And I LOVE their moroccan food. However, his dad tried to make for me 'american hamburgers' and it was terrible. Just terrible. :blush: I guess it's the thought that counts, right? :thumbs:

As for the bread....I've tried the same thing and mine doesn't come out right either. :bonk: Let us know if you find the solution.

Timeline

That might be a good thing. I really like my husbands parents. And I LOVE their moroccan food. However, his dad tried to make for me 'american hamburgers' and it was terrible. Just terrible. :blush: I guess it's the thought that counts, right? :thumbs:

As for the bread....I've tried the same thing and mine doesn't come out right either. :bonk: Let us know if you find the solution.

Yeah I guess you are right... Mexican food is my fav and about a month into my visit the cravings were insane :0) We went some where for pizza... The worst pizza I ever had....

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah I guess you are right... Mexican food is my fav and about a month into my visit the cravings were insane :0) We went some where for pizza... The worst pizza I ever had....

Their Pizza Hut and Domino's over there is better than here. Beef pepperonis!!

Hi all, thanks for your replies.... I found this guy online who went to Morocco so many times and stayed with many different families and watched the women of the home make this bread. He was so fasciated with how the women made this bread, that he decided to start writing down many different ways of making it. He came back with a recipe that I decided to try as he spoke about the bread's texture should be easy to pull apart and be soft but not too dense inside. Here is the ingredients, if you want the whole recipe and how to make this let me know via here or PM here and I will write it down and send it.

After baking this bread, it turned out so good and my husband loved it and he a picky bread eater LOL.

2 cups whole wheat

2 cups of Bread Flour

2 tsp. salt

2 TBSp of vegetable oil

1-2 TBS of honey

1 1/4 + tablespoon of water water

Here is a list of things that I have made over and over and we just love them as they are very traditional in the Moroccan way of cooking. If you see something here you want the recipe for let me knowgood.gif

Chicken Tfaya w/ couscous

Lentils Soup

Kefta hamburger stuffed in Msemen

Chicken and Lamb kababs

Chicken Shawarma

Tajine Beef and prunes

Chicken Tajine

Lamb and Pea/Potato Tajine

Saffron Chicken

Zaalouck (eggplant)

Sellou

Barley Soup

Semolina Soup

M'semen

Harira Soup

Harsha Bread (kinda like sweet cornbread muffins we have here)

Batbout Bread

Khobz dyal Smida

Their Pizza Hut and Domino's over there is better than here. Beef pepperonis!!

Yeah Squeaky your right, we ate Pizza Hut near the beach like every week. I love their salad bar which is so different than here. I hated those purple beets and turnips all my life until I went to Morocco, and now I eat them all the time thanks to Pizza Hut.

good place for sure........................

You know I have tried making some things that my hubby would like. He is not here yet but I thought I would try. My sister in-law who is here in the states tried to teach me how to make the bread but mines never turns out like hers... LOL... At this point I have given up. We have 3 Moroccan restaurants in our area so when he is missing the foods from home we can go there :0) LOL Also it Occured to me... I have visited Morocco 3 times my last visit was 3 moths long and not once did anyone try to make anything I would have at home... LOL I was craving tacos like crazy lol and all I got was some nasty Mc Donalds... Try cooking with Alia she is on facebook and she has a website. She also has a book but there is no recipe for bread in it but maybe you can send her a message and she can give you some pointers :0)

Yep, I watched her video's too, but my husband says she tries to add to much of the american ways to her cooking and she doesn't stay traditional with her spices that they use in Morocco. But I still watch them LOL.

Hi,

Just type the word "choumicha" on Youtube and you will have hundreds of Moroccan food recipes popping up. Good luck :):star:

Oh yes, she is a very popular lady in Morocco and very popular with the ladies there when it comes to cooking. The only thing about her videos is that they are in french and arabic and my husband says wait back up and let me hear here again and then I lose patience after an hour LOL. But she does do lots of cookies, etc that love yummy.

Hi, You know what I have had to discovery the hard way.... it's all about kneading the bread in the correct amount of time they say. I use my mixer for kneading and then use my hands to feel for the right texture when it comes to making moroccan bread for sure. This is by far the hardest thing I have had to learn when it comes to cooking the way the Moroccans do.

Timeline

Yep, I watched her video's too, but my husband says she tries to add to much of the american ways to her cooking and she doesn't stay traditional with her spices that they use in Morocco. But I still watch them LOL.

Depending on where someone lives those ingredients are not so easy to get that is why she does it the way she does... To make it easier and when you are able to get it, it is crazy exspensive unless you bring it back with you....

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have been making a lot of Moroccan food since my hubby has been here. Almost two years this coming November. I have had to rely on cookbooks, cooking with alia, and youtube to teach me the traditions. What I have learned is that cooking with alia, for many of the dishes, when she stays traditional they are authentic. For some, I can say I appreciate the adjustments as they help me cook faster and the ingredients are either too expensive or hard to find, like saffron. I bought a mixture specifically to assist me with making the bread and have not mastered up the courage to make it. I am with you though, I think kneeding it in the mixer and then by hand is the best way to go, but the hand work looks so hard.

Casandra and Aziz's Timeline
03/26/07 - Received my first call from Aziz
07/21/07 - 1st trip
12/14/07 - 2nd visit to Morocco
05/20/08 - 3rd visit to Morocco
07/10/08 - Married in Morocco
02/15/09 - 4th trip to Morocco

05/12/12 - 1st trip to Morocco together

CR1 Visa Journey
10/06/08 - Sent I-130 Packet
10/09/08 - Received NOA1
04/24/09 - Approval Notice Sent for I-130
07/13/09 - Informed by NVC Casa consulate busy***wait for September interview
07/27/09 - Received appointment letter from NVC WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/14/09 - CR1 interview in Casa @ 8:00 am ******APPROVED******
09/15/09 - Visa in Hand
11/07/09 - Travel to US
11/27/09 - Received greencard
ROC
10/21/11 - Sent I-751 package
10/24/11 - USCIS receives the package
10/31/11 - NOA1 received
11/18/11 - Biometrics Interview in JAX
06/27/12 - Approval Notice sent

N-400

09/21/13 - Application filed

09/26/13 - NOA received

10/24/13 - Biometics apt

12/12/13 - Interview date

01/01/14 - Approval notice sent

03/27/14 - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.