Jim_G_123

L1 Visa Holder + US Citizen Marriage

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My Fiance (Mexican Citizen, L1 Visa living and working in the US ~2.5yrs) and I (US Citizen, Born here, Live & Work here) were planning on getting married next year, but things have changed a bit.

I am being relocated for work to a new state (CA-->MI) and she will be coming with me and leaving her job. Trouble is, her visa is very specific and she won't be able to get a new job as far as I can understand it. So we asked ourselves, why are we waiting to get married, we should start the process now so we can remove these restrictions from her so she can try for a new job in the new place sometime next year.

Questions:

Can she stay in the country without issue if she resigns from her company (the sponsor of her L1)?

Our plan is to get married with a simple civil ceremony at the LA courthouse to move forward (not sure if this is jumping the gun?). After that, we are not quite sure what our next steps are ...

We have been dating 6+ years, living together ~2yrs and have our first child due mid-Oct, so we've got evidence of life, family, photos etc if we need to substantiate anything.

If I could just get a short list of actual forms that are recommended to focus on, I will gladly do the reading, etc ... I just want to be sure I'm doing the right things here and I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance! I really would appreciate any advice I can get here

Take care,

Jim

Edited by Jim_G_123

Hi Jim,

Here is the guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

If you file these papers, then she can stay in the country while it processes. Good luck!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.