Sherifeg

Letter to IO after citizenship interview

76 posts in this topic

Maybe Al Franken himself is great, but his staff isn't exactly helping! They don't even return phone calls!

Might help if you schedule an infopass appointment and talk to an USCIS officer in person.

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

Your case is under review with a supervisor.

Is the only pertinent information on your email, amazing that a supervisor can stare at that same N-400 for over four months. Or maybe that supervisor died and no one there noticed that yet, still staring at your application.

Good old St. Paul, not even in St. Paint, but in Bloomington, people in Bloomington take offense to that. Misplaced my I-130 form for my stepdaughter, delayed her green card for 45 days, even though could provide the original NOA of I-130 approval and a identical copy of the I-130. Then misplaced my wife's over three inch thick N-400 application for her oath ceremony. Then wanted proof my stepdaughter paid her small traffic violations, but they corrected that and wanted details of her arrest for being an abuser when she was 17 months old.

Are these people smoking crack? But sure got their act together when either Fiengold or Kohl's office contacted them. Can't blame St. Paul for losing our I-751, positively no one at the USCIS knew that was transferred to California and was misplaced. All they could do was get on the interest to that worthless processing site and tell me with still have another two years to wait. What a bunch of idiots! Feingold's office found that in seconds.

So your case is still being reviewed, without even giving you a single reason "WHY" its being reviewed. But maybe your file is like ours and sitting in a corner someplace gathering dust like ours were. Surprised Al won't help you, what else can we say?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have an appointment with an attorney on Friday to discuss what is the next move, I guess I want to know WHY it is being reviewed for more than 130 days! USCIS line lady told me, I have no idea why it is taking that long! Feels great!

Filed: Other Timeline

So do you guys think I should sue?

Sue whom for what? The U.S. government for taking its time to review your request? Which law tells you how much time they are allowed to take? It would cost you several million dollars in legal fees to even get such a lawsuit to a level where the DoS even would take notice. And once they do take notice, somebody would make a phone call to Janet and then decide that your application for naturalization is being denied with prejudice. A few days later you will be stopped on the way home and they'll find marijuana in the trunk of your car. You'll be arrested, jailed, sentenced, and deported. You are a foreigner, a guest in this country, and you want to take on the U.S. government? That is so ridiculous, it's almost funny.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Sue whom for what? The U.S. government for taking its time to review your request? Which law tells you how much time they are allowed to take? It would cost you several million dollars in legal fees to even get such a lawsuit to a level where the DoS even would take notice. And once they do take notice, somebody would make a phone call to Janet and then decide that your application for naturalization is being denied with prejudice. A few days later you will be stopped on the way home and they'll find marijuana in the trunk of your car. You'll be arrested, jailed, sentenced, and deported. You are a foreigner, a guest in this country, and you want to take on the U.S. government? That is so ridiculous, it's almost funny.

Wow, nice scenario...not very helpful though. I suggest you keep your sarcasm to less important things Brother. If you have anything useful to say, I will be grateful, otherwise silence can be a virtue.

Wow, nice scenario...not very helpful though. I suggest you keep your sarcasm to less important things Brother. If you have anything useful to say, I will be grateful, otherwise silence can be a virtue.

I really don't think you will be "suing" the government for not giving you a decision. To my understanding, it means that you are requesting the Judicial system to make a decision about your case from scratch, instead of the Executive Branch (DOH). You are not benefiting from anything because they can still deny your application. Nobody is going to jail or paying big fines out of this process, I'd assume that it would only look bad in USCIS monthly statistics. It looks bad on the supervisors for not using resources efficiently.

I'd assume that if send a letter to your IO (which you are allowed, if you read the interview results) and mention that 120 days have passed and that you are intending to solve the case through judicial system within a period of time, they will act on your case. And USCIS knows this, otherwise they would not print it in small letters on the interview results. You are not wasting taxpayer's money, it's a right given to you to chose getting a decision through the judicial system.

@Brother, its better not to say anything when you don't have knowledge about the process. Scaring people with remarks that is far from reality is just not good. I see your posts all the time and most of them are very helpful.

@Sherifeg, There is a whole process of doing writ of mandamus which normally costs your $350 to file if you are representing yourself. I did and got my I-485 approved in 20 days. Hiring a lawyer can cost $2000-5000 depending on who you talk to. I would suggest talk to a few. What I did was researched some prior cases and I assure you, you can find 100s of them online including some involving ACLU, and copy the information that relates to your case and then modify it with your events. Get it checked from a lawyer (costs $400) and submit it with the federal court in your area of residence. Here are links to this:

http://www.jclawoffice.net/lawsite/en/news/Expediting_Naturalization.pdf

The statute of filing is:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f3829c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=f3829c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.legalactioncenter.org/sites/default/files/lac_pa_100605.pdf

This is actually not calling a writ of Mandamus but filing a 1447b. You can read quite a bit about it everywhere. Believe me, it will not cost a million dollars or no one is calling Janet etc. Thats a bunch of BS. Make sure you exhaust all options including contacting Senator or Rep. of your area and doing several infopasses before filing since you will have to prove that you tried to get this resolved. Don't worry, no one will pick on your for exercising your right.

Our Timeline

06/23/2006 Happiest day of my life, got married to my lovely Wife!

AOS

11/27/06 I-485 / I-765 Sent (Overnight)

11/28/06 I-485 / I-765 Received

12/01/06 Notice Date for both

12/02/06, 12/04/06, 12/05/06, 12/06/06, 12/10/06, 12/11/06 Touched !!!

12/19/06 Interview letter Issued!

12/26/06 Interview Notice Received!

02/13/07 Interview

08/25/08 Filed Writ of Mandamus (Law Suit) against USCIS, DOS, FBI

09/16/08 Application Approved (IR6)

09/22/08 Card Production Ordered

09/23/08 Welcome Notice Received

09/29/08 10 YR. GC Received!

N-400

07/18/11 N-400 Sent (Overnight) UPS

07/19/11 N-400 Received

08/23/11 Case status changed - FP letter sent

08/26/11 Fingerprint notice received in mail

08/26/11 Early Fingerprints completed

09/13/11 Original Fingerprints scheduled date

08/30/11 Case status updated: In-Line to be scheduled for an interview

09/12/11 Case status updated: Interview is now scheduled

09/15/11 Interview letter received!

10/19/11 Interview at Santa Ana, CA - I-130 is not approved in file

10/19/11 RFE issued

10/27/11 RFE response received and is being reviewed - even though I didn't get any RFE or responded to one!

11/11/11 Notification for Placed in que for oath ceremony

11/15/11 Notification for Oath being scheduled

11/18/11 N-445 Oath letter received

12/15/11 Oath Ceremony - Its all over! I AM FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Other Timeline

Shakil,

he was asking if he should sue. Your answer is not in response to his question.

Mine was. He just didn't like it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

LOL :blink:

Timeline

A lot has changed in this country since 9/11 that we are all paying the price for. You are from Egypt where there are terrorist camps, could be your name is similar to some nasty guys. Suing implies a court settlement where the suer is the plaintiff, the USCIS would be the defendant, the burden of proof relies upon the plaintiff.

When a decision could not be made, I was shocked to learn the number of criminals that shared the same name as my stepdaughter, a very common Latin American name. Provided proof to my senators office that she wasn't one of these nasty persons. Just speculating this could be one of the reasons why you are experiencing delays.

First response to an incident like this is on of absolute anger, had to clam down, compose myself, and write a very brief unemotional letter just stating the facts. While you may feel the USCIS is a bunch of idiots, nevertheless, they have the responsibility to to assure the safety of this nation. Its your head on the block and they are holding the ax.

Another bit of suspicion is why isn't Al helping you? How are you approaching his office? You could take the USCIS to court, all they have to say is we have to do further checking, case dismissed.

Timeline

Thanks for the advice (Helpful or not).

@NickD, I am not sure why Al Franken is not helping! I sent an email inquiry! The first time around, his staff said that I should hear something by Mid August. When mid August passed and I still heard nothing, I called them once more time and never got a response back. Does that answer your question?

This whole thing is confusing to me...I am curious to WHY this is taking all that time, more than anything else.

@Shakil, thanks for the advice...I knew it wasn't going to cost millions of dollars to take this thing to court. I must have used the wrong word when I said "sue". At that point, I know the process quite well, but apparently the wording REALLY upset Brother! One correction for him though, it is DHS and not DoS!!!

@NickD, I am not sure why Al Franken is not helping! I sent an email inquiry! The first time around, his staff said that I should hear something by Mid August. When mid August passed and I still heard nothing, I called them once more time and never got a response back. Does that answer your question?

This whole thing is confusing to me...I am curious to WHY this is taking all that time, more than anything else.

@Shakil, thanks for the advice...I knew it wasn't going to cost millions of dollars to take this thing to court. I must have used the wrong word when I said "sue". At that point, I know the process quite well, but apparently the wording REALLY upset Brother! One correction for him though, it is DHS and not DoS!!!

yeah, DHS, just a typo...

Timeline

No, would call them again, and again, and again.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.