pooh_loves_muffet

Taxable income

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Greetings.

I am from US. My fiancee is from Nassau. We have been dating and engaged a total of 2 years.

I've been divorced for 5 years, and owed my small-business partner gobs and gobs of money, as he got dragged into the mess, financially. (We are not a corporation or something. Just 2 guys, living together, who do specialty carpentry.) As such, it seemed practical, at the time, that I simply not receive a paycheck. I have no taxable income to show prior to this year, as I did not receive paychecks then.

Still struggling financially, but not so badly. Now, I've met THE ONE. She happens to live outside the U.S. and I am discovering complications on my end for uniting us. It is certainly not a lack of love. Most of her belongings are here. She is visiting and in the other room as we speak, sending emails and photos from her birthday party, celebrated here. She is at home here.

I read in a forum that one year's taxable income will do. I was told on the phone that I require three years.

Can I start the K-1 visa process with one years income?

I have a willing and financially able sponsor.

I am not sure if my lack of activity prior to this year is going to come into question. I worked for free because I owed. The lawyer with whom I spoke on the phone ended the conversation as she thought I was up to no good.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe I should have claimed false income? If I claim now, it looks a mess, anyway.

This is so distressing. :(

SO, the question: Is one year sufficient?

For a K1 Visa one year of taxes is enough. When it comes to Adjustment of Status, you will need three years of taxes OR you will have to supply a reasonable explanation as to why you cannot submit them. Maybe you should consider having a co-sponsor just to be safe.

I hope that helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It depends!

You can check with your fiance's specific Cons. office. I know Vietnam wants 3 years Tax! something they don't!

The big picture you need to see here is: To get approved, you need to show them you two have solid relationship, genuine love, finanically stable RIGHT NOW and in the foreseen future (a year from now) etc. How are you going to prove that? What is your game plan to prove it?

ITR (Income Tax Return) is only a part of this whole picture! Don't be discourage! An example I often use is: There is a Medical student who has not made any money for the past 5 years, just study and does his residency. However this med student will graduate next year and will be making 6 figures income in the coming years. Would the Cons. Office will fail him because he didn't make any money for the past 5 years, or file tax return or what not! I doubt it, but it could happen.

The bottom line is each case will be examined and invaluated to the specific case/situation. Relax and collect your evidences first OK!

Good luck.

chuck and kim

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Timeline

pooh_loves_muffet,

You need adequate and sustainable income now. Your past income history goes to the sustainability issue, and your recent history doesn't seem to give much support to your current situation. But, if that turns out to be a serious weakness for your case, you say that you have someone who is qualified and will help out. So start the immigration process if you wish.

You say that your fiancee is in the country, so maybe a visa is not the way to go. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

But you say that you have consulted with an immigration attorney, and they had qualms about your case. Maybe consult with another attorney, and in person this time. And take a hard look at the way you present yourself - maybe the information is the problem, but maybe not and the problem is your presentation.

Yodrak

Greetings.

I am from US. My fiancee is from Nassau. We have been dating and engaged a total of 2 years.

I've been divorced for 5 years, and owed my small-business partner gobs and gobs of money, as he got dragged into the mess, financially. (We are not a corporation or something. Just 2 guys, living together, who do specialty carpentry.) As such, it seemed practical, at the time, that I simply not receive a paycheck. I have no taxable income to show prior to this year, as I did not receive paychecks then.

Still struggling financially, but not so badly. Now, I've met THE ONE. She happens to live outside the U.S. and I am discovering complications on my end for uniting us. It is certainly not a lack of love. Most of her belongings are here. She is visiting and in the other room as we speak, sending emails and photos from her birthday party, celebrated here. She is at home here.

I read in a forum that one year's taxable income will do. I was told on the phone that I require three years.

Can I start the K-1 visa process with one years income?

I have a willing and financially able sponsor.

I am not sure if my lack of activity prior to this year is going to come into question. I worked for free because I owed. The lawyer with whom I spoke on the phone ended the conversation as she thought I was up to no good.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe I should have claimed false income? If I claim now, it looks a mess, anyway.

This is so distressing. :(

SO, the question: Is one year sufficient?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.