Blake and Cherry

Questions about taxes and transcripts

7 posts in this topic

Our interview date is this January 10th 2012. I am planning on getting my tax transcripts for years 2010, 2009, and 2008.

Question #1:

Will I need to provide tax information for 2011?

Question #2:

If my fiance and I get married before April 15th 2012 when taxes for 2011 are due, will we be able to file as married and take advantage of those tax breaks?

Question #3:

I know I made far above the minimum income requirement for tax year 2010, but I am not sure I will be able to meet those numbers for years 2008 and 2009. Do all three past years need to be above the minimum income requirement or just the previous year? I will also surpass the minimum income requirement for 2011 as well if that is even applicable in my case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Our interview date is this January 10th 2012. I am planning on getting my tax transcripts for years 2010, 2009, and 2008.

Question #1:

Will I need to provide tax information for 2011?

Question #2:

If my fiance and I get married before April 15th 2012 when taxes for 2011 are due, will we be able to file as married and take advantage of those tax breaks?

Question #3:

I know I made far above the minimum income requirement for tax year 2010, but I am not sure I will be able to meet those numbers for years 2008 and 2009. Do all three past years need to be above the minimum income requirement or just the previous year? I will also surpass the minimum income requirement for 2011 as well if that is even applicable in my case.

1. No, unless your interview is after April 15, 2012

2. No. Your marital status for 2011 is determined at midnight, December 31, 2011, you must be married before then to claim "married"

3. No. Nor are you required to present three years taxes. Why would you unless it is required by the consulate (not likely) or it helps you (it apparently does not)?

CURRENT income is far more important.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

1. No, unless your interview is after April 15, 2012

2. No. Your marital status for 2011 is determined at midnight, December 31, 2011, you must be married before then to claim "married"

3. No. Nor are you required to present three years taxes. Why would you unless it is required by the consulate (not likely) or it helps you (it apparently does not)?

CURRENT income is far more important.

Perhaps i am confusing the three years of tax transcripts with what is required for AOS?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I agree with the above post on #1 and #2.

#3. You need to check the consulate in UAE to see if they require the 3 previous year tax returns, it can also be beneficial to you if you are trying to show that you have stability in providing for the household. You current pay needs to show you make sufficient income to support your household or need for co-sponsor. A letter from you current employer showing you income on the job is helpful also. We did have to submit 3 years of tax returns for our interview (I would check with people who have just had interviews at the consulate you will be going to for your interview). Of course this is just my opinion. Its better to have too much info for NVC and the interview then not enough.....to wait to submit paperwork just causes delays.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Perhaps i am confusing the three years of tax transcripts with what is required for AOS?

I just read the reviews for the UAE consulate and most of the reviews only took the latest tax return (2010) and letter from employer about current pay. One post did say they had 3 yrs and handed in all 3 years ( I think if it shows stability then doesnt hurt to take all three). I would read the most current reviews for tips on what you do and dont need...etc.

Timeline

Three years is not required for AOS either. I only sent one year. You attach ONE year tax returns or transcripts and simply list your gross income from the two years before that, you do not have to attach copies of the returns. They CAN ask for them but rarely do.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I agree with the above post on #1 and #2.

#3. You need to check the consulate in UAE to see if they require the 3 previous year tax returns, it can also be beneficial to you if you are trying to show that you have stability in providing for the household. You current pay needs to show you make sufficient income to support your household or need for co-sponsor. A letter from you current employer showing you income on the job is helpful also. We did have to submit 3 years of tax returns for our interview (I would check with people who have just had interviews at the consulate you will be going to for your interview). Of course this is just my opinion. Its better to have too much info for NVC and the interview then not enough.....to wait to submit paperwork just causes delays.

Read answer three again. It says "unless it is required by the consulate" VERY few consulates require three years tax returns but there are a very few that do. The instructions in packet 3 would state this.

I just read the reviews for the UAE consulate and most of the reviews only took the latest tax return (2010) and letter from employer about current pay. One post did say they had 3 yrs and handed in all 3 years ( I think if it shows stability then doesnt hurt to take all three). I would read the most current reviews for tips on what you do and dont need...etc.

Better to read the instructions. The fact that someone submitted more than necessary does not make it necessary to submit more.

Read the consulate instructions.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.