utst10

Life in Vietnam

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

After visting Vietnam in the last few years, I throughly enjoy it.

The culture and the people...you got the goods and the bads.

Have any you consider buying house in Vietnam after retirement?

Dat Lat is a great place to retire in.

My wife definitely wants a house in Vietnam when we retire. I like to spend 6 months of summer in Dat Lat and 6 months of winter in good old Houston.

Pros: Cost of living is low, people in Vietnam are easy going, wife would be really happy, less stress, time to see all of Vietnam and surrounding countries.

Cons: Hot and humid (Houston is a worser Hell if you look at it this way...it hotter and more humid in Houston than Vietnam), cost of travelling back and forth and travel time

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We have home in China and US. I have a friend an ex-seal who lives in China and loves it.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

COL may not be what you think it is... Land costs more there than it does here... A house can cost the same to get built or to buy one already built... food costs have gone up considerably in the past year. The economy there is hurting just like it is here... there are far fewer tourists and couple that with a decline in demand for VN goods.. its really tight now... Once you buy or build a house there, it would have to be in either the spouses name or a family members.. you will need to have someone care for the property to keep it from getting seized..having a decent income there is something that needs to be addressed...

We will start spending less time in the US in 4 years... between now and then the new house will get completed and the few things I miss the most here can get sourced there or in some cases taken over on the summer trips.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

My wife definitely wants a house in Vietnam when we retire. I like to spend 6 months of summer in Dat Lat and 6 months of winter in good old Houston.

Pros: Cost of living is low, people in Vietnam are easy going, wife would be really happy, less stress, time to see all of Vietnam and surrounding countries.

Cons: Hot and humid (Houston is a worser Hell if you look at it this way...it hotter and more humid in Houston than Vietnam), cost of travelling back and forth and travel time

If someone else pays for the house, sure, I'll buy it.

If I have to cough up with MY OWN money, no thanks. Why? I'm from that country and I know how the laws in that country function. I'm not STUPID to bring my money to a place full of bribery and the law got bent to whatever angle the gov't officials see fit. Are you kidding me? After I was able to get out of that hell hole, I consider myself reborn for the second time this lifetime. Why on earth would I wanna move back there?(that's just my own opinion)

Now if your family or hers get some kinda connection with the gov't over there, then by all means, enjoy the wonderful life.

OP, you forgot one important fact about Vietnam, they prefer to use the US dollars. No other country in the world (yes, even the poorest country in Africa) would have a currency exchange rate of $1 USD to $20,000 Dong. There must be a reason for it right? I'm no economist but I can tell you that's not a society I myself wanna live in nor for my children.

The US is not the best in the world but given 2 choices you asked, for me, it's a clear and easy pick.

Edit to add: Yes, Houston is HOT but when was the last time your electricity got cut off due to lack of resources? In Saigon and almost elsewhere in VN, "Cup dien" is as often as sun sets and sun rises. No thanks.

Edited by Hot Vit Lon

One more thing and this issue is about my wife. She loves to "price match" here in the US and use coupons for grocery shopping. I personally love the "easy" return policy of most retailers in the US.

Is there such a thing in VN? I wouldn't think so. Have you shopped at the Hong Kong Market on Bellaire Blvd? Have you seen how people behave at the seafood counter? (they just don't care to wait in line for their turn) You want that kinda lifestyle (prob 10 times worse) in VN?

For me, a big No thanks.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No other country in the world (yes, even the poorest country in Africa) would have a currency exchange rate of $1 USD to $20,000 Dong.

When I worked in Zaire in the mid-1990s, $1 US= 3 billions Zaires. People were getting tired of counting billions out to buy even a stick of gum, so the government decided overnight to remove 6 zeroes from the currency. So then $1 US = 3,000 "new Zaires". Inflation was running 7,000% per year.

I agree with Hot Vit Lon, there ain't no law in VN. It's an ok country to visit, but a terrible one to live or invest in.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dau Que,

Yes, Vietnam government is corrupted. I have known that and have come to accept it...you deal with it and make it work for you.

I know as a non Viet Citizen, you can buy land but have to return it in 50 years...I also know most of the laws in Vietnam...both written and unspoken.

Like any other country, you take the good with the bad. It's a hell hole because most people have no oppertunity to grow...that's what communist do to a country.

But have you seen the younger generation of Vietnam lately? They want to change the country. Most have evolve to embrace the western culture and idealism.

For me, walking around a country where people does not look at me DIFFERENTLY makes me feel at home. I grew up with racism and like it or not, it's still around.

The feeling of being free, with no burden, when you set foot in Vietnam is enough for me to bare it's ugly sides.

If you plan well, life is good...plan ill, life is hell...that's everywhere.

When was the last time you were in a rolling black out or your ac broke down in Houston?

When was the last time you were in a Hurricane that took out electricity for weeks and you had to go to work?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Dau Que,

Yes, Vietnam government is corrupted. I have known that and have come to accept it...you deal with it and make it work for you.

I know as a non Viet Citizen, you can buy land but have to return it in 50 years...I also know most of the laws in Vietnam...both written and unspoken.

When $$%T hit the fan, these laws which you thought you knew will get bent or throw out the window right in front of you, unless you have enough money to turn the table around, money talk when it comes to laws, both written or unspoken.

But have you seen the younger generation of Vietnam lately? They want to change the country. Most have evolve to embrace the western culture and idealism.

By worshiping Britney Spears, adopting Valentine day & school violence? yes! As far as individual rights/freedom and such, a few more might embrace but none are willing to do anything about it, hell they can't even protest peacefully without being hauled away at night (refer to all the recent protesters against China taking over vietnam's land/islands).

For me, walking around a country where people does not look at me DIFFERENTLY makes me feel at home. I grew up with racism and like it or not, it's still around.

Very true, are you vietnamese? If not then the statement above just doesn't make sense.

The feeling of being free, with no burden, when you set foot in Vietnam is enough for me to bare it's ugly sides.

You're speaking as if you're running away from problem

If you plan well, life is good...plan ill, life is hell...that's everywhere.

Exactly, if you plan it well, you wouldn't need to move to Vietnam to obtain the feeling of being free with no burdens.

Wow. I guess Hot Vit Lon just covered it all but I still want to put my 2cents in for this topic.

My wife just got here 5 months ago and of course everything is new and different. The first thing she noticed is the Cashier at a Grocery store. The first sentence that cashier said is "Hi, how are you?" the second is "Did you find everything you are looking for?". She was like wow she is so nice. Why do random people ask me how am I doing and stuff. Makes me feel like I've known her for a long time. So I told her, most of the cashiers here in the U.S are like that. Very friendly and not just cashiers but also waiters and waitresses. She doesn't believe me so I took her to Apple Bees. You know how it goes. So my conclusion, Do you get these kind of "Kindness" in Vietnam? Or you have to really live the life of this saying "You Touch You Buy"?. I've so many bad experiences with cashiers and waiters and waitresses in Vietnam. They're like those people who never have a proper education where communication is so Lack. I'm so sad talking about my people like that but it's the truth.

Like I said, Hot Vit Lon already mention all of the bad about the country. Medical is something you should consider once you're older. You don't get that good of a treatment there. Even if you have lots of money, you still not getting what you have here in the U.S. Rich people in vietnam want to go to the U.S to get all of their Medical needs once they're older. I don't know why we all have the luxury of it and want to go to Vietnam and live there.

Okay, now is the goods of Vietnam. The scenery, the underdeveloped side of the country, the cost of living (if you're just a regular person), the vegetables that you could grow, etc... Oh, the vegetable at the market place isn't the same as 5-10 years ago. The Chinese teaches them to put steroid in all of them to make it look healthier, bigger, but it's not good for your body.

Oh well, I talk too much. Ultimately, you'll be the one making the decision of living there. For my parents who are 82 years old? Hell no, I'm not letting them live there in Vietnam as long as I live.

No mean to Flame. It's just my thought on the topic.

Edited by Huong and Phung

event.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If I have to cough up with MY OWN money, no thanks. Why? I'm from that country and I know how the laws in that country function. I'm not STUPID to bring my money to a place full of bribery and the law got bent to whatever angle the gov't officials see fit.

You think you really own land in the USA? I challenge you to buy a house or property and not pay your property taxes or HOA fees and then see who the true owner is.

You think you really own land in the USA? I challenge you to buy a house or property and not pay your property taxes or HOA fees and then see who the true owner is.

You're not even close to compare apple to apple.

In VN, when you already paid your dues and own outright your properties, the gov't can change the law(s) any time it sees fit and take away your properties or limit your ability to sell them. (ask your wife how the gov't can hold your house hostage and make you pay dearly for that "red book")

Here, if you've paid your mortgage on time and all of your dues (mind you, if noone wanna paid property taxes and HOA dues, who will provide services like police, garbage collection, fire, public school, etc???) noone will take away your properties.

Bottom line, if you feel your money will serve you better in VN, please, feel free.

Just remember one thing, 35 years after the war ended, VN is still NOWHERE compared to other Asian countries. It's still among the poorest in the world. South Korea prospers and North Korea is.......?

See the common bond here?

Edited by Hot Vit Lon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In VN, when you already paid your dues and own outright your properties, the gov't can change the law(s) any time it sees fit and take away your properties or limit your ability to sell them. (ask your wife how the gov't can hold your house hostage and make you pay dearly for that "red book")

Here, if you've paid your mortgage on time and all of your dues (mind you, if noone wanna paid property taxes and HOA dues, who will provide services like police, garbage collection, fire, public school, etc???) noone will take away your properties.

Bottom line, if you feel your money will serve you better in VN, please, feel free.

Just remember one thing, 35 years after the war ended, VN is still NOWHERE compared to other Asian countries. It's still among the poorest in the world. South Korea prospers and North Korea is.......?

See the common bond here?

Do a Google search on "eminent domain". You own property in the US as long as the government doesn't have any interest in taking it away from you. However, if the government decides your property would serve the public good better if it were part of a new shopping center then you're going to lose your home, and there is very little you can do to stop it.

I recently saw the city council in my town clear out an entire neighborhood using eminent domain. They wanted to build an office park, supposedly to attract businesses to the city "for the public good". The investor backed out after they'd already condemned all of the homes, so they sold the property to another investor who just leveled the homes and built new ones that sold for twice as much as the original homes. Some of the original homeowners sued the city trying to get their properties back for the paltry sum the city originally paid them. They lost.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey there,

I suggest that you do what makes YOU feel happy and comfortable. You enjoy the culture and people in VN and if you have the money to go back and forth between VN and Houston that is a big plus.

My maternal grandparents are now retired and living in Thailand. I personally would not live in Thailand but they are retired and are older people now. They do it because it makes them happy and comfortable. I don't see a problem with you wanting to spend your retirement in VN. Now if you were in your 20's or 30's and wanted to move to VN to build your life this would be a different story but we are talking about retirement. Do what makes you happy and don't listen to what some stranger says on the internet says. If you decide to go to VN, relax and have fun :thumbs:

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Read again what JimVaPhuong said about eminent domain.

You can also do some research into banks foreclosing on houses that they know they don't own. Usually some kind of clerical error gets a house the bank doesn't own in the foreclosure process. The bank reviews the paperwork, discovers they don't actually own the mortgage for the house, but they proceed on foreclosing the house anyway and the government allows this. A license to steal basically.

There is also a tax lien if you don't pay your taxes. This gives the government the right to property you currently own, as well as all property that you acquire after the lien is placed. (There is a statute of limitations on a property lien which spans a 10 year period.)

There is also a judgment lien which can be placed on your property if you don't pay some kinds of debts. Whether your house is forclosed upon depends on the lien holder.

Liens are a bit fairer, but they still give the government or somebody the right to your property if you owe them money.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.