wildcard

Return to US from Canada?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it possible for me to return to the US from Canada if my Temp I-551 (Green card) is expired, I have filed my I-751 but have not yet received my NOA?

My temp GC is expiring 9/9 and I just sent in my I-751 on saturday (USPS shows it was delivered yesterday).

I need to return to Canada for a funeral. Is it possible for me to get back in the US if I don't have my NOA in-hand? I imagine by the time return, it will have been processed and mailed to me, probably sitting in my mailbox. I will be returning to US on 9/19.

What do you think? Am I out of luck as far as going to the funeral? Any special exceptions for funerals?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do not travel without the NOA1 or a stamp in your passport. Make an infopass appointment and try to get a new stamp.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Is it possible for me to return to the US from Canada if my Temp I-551 (Green card) is expired, I have filed my I-751 but have not yet received my NOA?

It's not impossible, but it's a big risk.

I'm a U.S. Citizen by birth. A few years back, I was approaching the border crossing at Niagara, New York when I realized I had left my U.S. passport at home. I got to the Canadian booth and explained what had happened. They told me that they could let me into Canada, but that it would be *at the sole discretion of the U.S. agent* whether or not I would be allowed back into the U.S.

I was just there for an overnight. I came back the next morning and explained things to the U.S. agent. I had a vehicle from Massachusetts registered in my name, my Massachusetts driver's license, and a consistent record on the computer of visiting Canada and returning to the U.S. I was allowed back into the U.S.

There is no exemption for funerals.

The argument is going to be that you should have known that your green card was expiring, and that you should have acted sooner to renew it. And that's assuming you can convince them that you have a legal right to return...they don't have to look you up or anything.

If it was my wife, I wouldn't let her go to the funeral. But I'm also paranoid about the expiration dates and would never let her green card expire.

Care,

Bill

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I think you are right. I think I am going to have to miss the funeral... unless by some chance that the NOA1 comes before Friday. Or I could have someone send the NOA1 to me while I'm in Canada... but it's risking it if for some reason they don't send me an NOA1...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.