k_hudda

This is just a general topic: Which is the best place to live in america?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

We'll probably be returning to Indianapolis. It is cheap, has low unemployment, I have family and connections there, and all of that is important for when all of us return.

It is pretty boring though. I would like to eventually live somewhere else nearer to a large body of water.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

How 'bout Superior Wisconsin? Its right at the western most tip of Lake Superior :lol: Or on the Minnesota side in Duluth? B)

You could sail all the way from there to the Atlantic ocean thru the Great Lakes and Saint Laurence.

Did you know it costs more for a Great Lakes cruise than it does for a Mediterranean cruise? No idea why, I just thought I'd toss that in there.

Looks like fun tho

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have never thought of evaluating the US in terms of odours lol...that's a point of view!...maybe I should get check my nose to the doctor!
Drive around the country on a motorcycle for eight weeks and you'll get an appreciation for it. (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have never thought of evaluating the US in terms of odours lol...that's a point of view!...maybe I should get check my nose to the doctor!
Drive around the country on a motorcycle for eight weeks and you'll get an appreciation for it. (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

Well the motorcycle's gas smells, that's for sure! :lol: What about Russia?..i see on your profile...ex-communist countries are really polluted..

Seriously, generally speaking...being with my companion, where ever we are, i'm sure it will be great; and adaptation is the key!...every place has it's charm if one tries to see it...or create it...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

How about Grand Junction, Delta or Montrose Colorado? There is some really good fishing around there and very close to the ski places. I have been looking at property prices which are very reasonable. It is very laid back and I most likely will buy a place there when I retire.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

so far i see the GREATEST PART OF USA is CALIFORNIA NEVADA PART ,like sierra and reno......mmmwwwaaahhhh!!!!!!

Timeline
1). Draw a line across the U.S. through Washington D.C. Exclude everywhere south of that line.
Why?
2). Now exclude California and Oregon just on general principle.
Which principle?
1). I find that region to be uninhabitable, for reasons too numerous to list here.

2a). On the principle that California Sucks - for reasons too numerous to list, but are intuitively obvious.

2b). On the principle that Oregon is too close to California, and it also sucks on its own merits.

Well the motorcycle's gas smells, that's for sure!
Uh, no, not at all - unless maybe you're riding something built 50 years ago or something. That's not me. (:

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Timeline

1). Draw a line across the U.S. through Washington D.C. Exclude everywhere south of that line.

Why?

1). I find that region to be uninhabitable, for reasons too numerous to list here.

Give me your top 10.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
Give me your top 10.
Off the top of my head, and without too much thought:
  1. too hot
  2. too little rain
  3. too much rain
  4. too many hurricanes
  5. too much government
  6. culture
  7. too flat
  8. too much BS in general
  9. too dark in summer
  10. too many farm animals
  11. too much religion
  12. too many people
  13. too much crime
  14. too much pollution
  15. gangs
  16. cheerleaders
  17. football
  18. too much law enforcement
  19. too much traffic
  20. too many taxes

Filed: Timeline
Give me your top 10.
Off the top of my head, and without too much thought:
  1. too hot
  2. too little rain
  3. too much rain
  4. too many hurricanes
  5. too much government
  6. culture
  7. too flat
  8. too much BS in general
  9. too dark in summer
  10. too many farm animals
  11. too much religion
  12. too many people
  13. too much crime
  14. too much pollution
  15. gangs
  16. cheerleaders
  17. football
  18. too much law enforcement
  19. too much traffic
  20. too many taxes

You think that's true of the SOUTH? Where do you live? I'll create my own list of reasons why I'd never go there.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Timeline

I gotta disagree on the flat...I live near the mountains in NC. They're hardly flat :P

Yep, we get a lot of rain...and we lost a dogwood tree in a storm yesterday. Its lying on our front yard right now :(

Yep, there's an awful lot of BS here, but that can be said for the entire planet.

There's hardly too many people or too much traffic, not compared to the northeast of the country, that's for sure. Yes, some larger cities (anywhere) have a lot of traffic, but in general, I believe the South is less densely populated than the northeast.

Yep, taxes in NC are a pain in the ###.

And it is darker here in summer at night time probably because there's not at much light pollution as around, say New York. And it gets dark earlier here than I'm used to back home in Ontario, which obviously is further north, so in summer time it stays light longer. And in winter time its the opposite.

It really is just a matter of opinion...but you obviously haven't been *everywhere* in the south, otherwise you wouldn't say its flat :P;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I gotta disagree on the flat...I live near the mountains in NC. They're hardly flat :P

Albertans or Coloradans might call them "hills" instead of "mountains". But some areas of the Appalachians are quite scary to drive through at night (I've driven through NC, TN, AL, VA and KY).

Yep, we get a lot of rain...and we lost a dogwood tree in a storm yesterday. Its lying on our front yard right now :(

Yep, there's an awful lot of BS here, but that can be said for the entire planet.

There's hardly too many people or too much traffic, not compared to the northeast of the country, that's for sure. Yes, some larger cities (anywhere) have a lot of traffic, but in general, I believe the South is less densely populated than the northeast.

True. Even the south's biggest city (Atlanta), I've seen some periods of heavy traffic over 24 hours and other periods of almost NO traffic (and this was on 285). Try that around DC (on 495, minimum is about "regular" amount on 285). At least some of the arterial roads in the south are better designed (I-75 in Cobb County has at least 5 lanes per side from perimeter to Wade Green Rd; in contrast I-95 with much heavier traffic has only 4 between 495 and 695).

Yep, taxes in NC are a pain in the ###.

And it is darker here in summer at night time probably because there's not at much light pollution as around, say New York. And it gets dark earlier here than I'm used to back home in Ontario, which obviously is further north, so in summer time it stays light longer. And in winter time its the opposite.

It really is just a matter of opinion...but you obviously haven't been *everywhere* in the south, otherwise you wouldn't say its flat :P;)

At most akdiver might have meant "been through EVERY STATE in the south" which is not the same as "everywhere". Some of the southern states (GA, FL, AL, NC, SC) are fair-sized (admittedly, a lot smaller than ON).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Interesting thread :thumbs:

I'll be in USA by the end of November if everythings goes well in our visa process.

my husband is living in New Orleans, LA and plans to relocate somewhere... Oregon (Portland or Eugene) comes at the top of the list... anybody has an idea about this city/state?? :)

Najia

I'm sorry, I've heard nothing but negative things about Oregon...the weather, the economy, house prices, etc.

For those who like hot weather, I'd say Arizona. My in-laws live in Northern Arizona and it's just gorgeous there! Cool in the winter and hot in the summer. I'm going to live there once I move to the US.

I also love San Francisco...it's just a bit tooo cold in the summer for me.

And Portland, OR is a really great place, with lots of friendly people!

It does depend heavily on what kind of enviroment you want to live in.

but for Najia:

I found Portland, Oregon to be the most wonderful place I have ever lived. It is incredibly picturesque, sitting on the rivers in a deep green valley between the mountains. The city is packed with beautiful parks with huge trees, rose gardens and fountains. The beautiful pacific ocean and the lush coast range mountians are an hour in one direction, the cascade mountains and the columbia river gorge an hour in the other. The local music scene is cool, and even if your not into the outdoors there are always tons of things to do.

It is a little city, nowhere near the size of Settle to the north or San Francisco to the south, and it benefits from that for several reasons: it's a cleaner place, with much more affordable housing, relaxed and friendly people, no sales tax, and the best public transport system in the US. The ecomony is about average for the US, not booming like some but not rotting like others.

The weather in Portland.... is actually very warm and dry for 5 months of summer, it only rains a lot in the winter. Winters tend to be short, mild, and green because temps typically average about 41 F and about 30 inches of rain comes down.... if your a sun worshiper, or allergic to trees, Arizona is definitely for you. ~Asha

... You eliminate for smell, that probably excludes Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota. That means the only places worth living in the U.S. are:

Maine, New York, Michigan, Washington, and Alaska.

AKDiver

:lol: I can only assume the part of Michigan you sniffed was not Detroit.

and just out of curiosity, where does Utah rank on the smell-o-meter?

14 July 05 - "wow! now THAT is a first kiss"

23 March 06 - "let's get married!"

22 August 06 - "here we go, I129F for K1 to NSC today"

13 January 07 - "Visa in hand!!"

02 March 07 - Joy "I Do!" Judge "what about you?" Asha "Me Too!" Judge "OK then, you're married!!"

13 April 07 - "Uncle Sam, here's the papers."

21 June 07 - "application transferred to CSC, Yippie!"

07 July 07 - "why yes, that is a conditional Permanent Resident card in my hand!"

08 April 09 - will file to lift conditions

usaCa.gif

... You eliminate for smell, that probably excludes Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota. That means the only places worth living in the U.S. are:

Maine, New York, Michigan, Washington, and Alaska.

AKDiver

:lol: I can only assume the part of Michigan you sniffed was not Detroit.

and just out of curiosity, where does Utah rank on the smell-o-meter?

Also, akdiver couldn't have been within 161 km of NYC; and I guess akdiver also allergic to the smell of salt (which you will find lots of in UT).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.