missicy

SSN mess!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I came to the US on K-1, applied for SSN and received the card in my maiden name, got married and received my GC.

About a month ago, I went to SS office with my marriage certificate and GC to change my name. I didn't fill out a new application form, the lady just re-typed my information that they already had on the file, and made a change of name. She gave me a piece of paper, stating it will take up to 4 weeks to receive a new card.

It's been a month so I decided to give SSA a call to find out what's taking so long but their 800 number is pretty much useless (can't talk to a real person). I called the Oxnard office (office that I went to) but they are already closed. Then I noticed that the lady messed up my address big time!! She got the house number wrong, 714 instead of 743, and zip code 93030 instead of 93010. And no apartment number (I live in a apartment complex). Now, I know that my address on their file was correct before because I received my first card with the right address on it, so she must have made the mistake when I went to the office to change my last name. Do you think that the new card was mailed out and delivered to the wrong address (our mailman will sometimes deliver mail as long as the address matches, even if the person doesn't live there; I know because a few times I received mail from people that don't live here but the address was mine) or returned to SSA? I'm freaking out because I don't want somebody else to receive my SSN (I've heard too many stories of people using other ppl's SSN to steal identities)!!

How do I find out what's going on with my card?? Should I call Oxnard office again tomorrow? Will they be able to give me some information about it? Should I go back to the office? The IRS change of address form that I found on the internet says that it takes 4-6 week to process change of address. I don't need change of address, more like correction, so what do I do? :help:

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: Timeline

Did you look up to see if it was a real address? You can do this on usps.com. If not, it was probably returned to the SSA.

Your best bet would be to go back to the office with an ID that has your correct address, state your problem, and they'll fix it. It will be processed immediately, but you'll have to wait the same length of time for your card to arrive.

What does the IRS have to do with your problem exactly?

Edited by CC90

Filed: Other Timeline

Oxnard?

I'm so sorry!

Your SSN never changes, so even if they got your address wrong and mailed your new card to that wrong address, it's no biggie. Go there again with your Green Card and this time fill out an SS-5 like anybody else. Trusting an SSA employee not to screw something up is like having unprotected sex with 100 men, hoping the Almighty will take care of it.

They will mail you a new card, free of charge, and right now it takes about 7 or 8 days. Trust me, I know.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

What does the IRS have to do with your problem exactly?

Sorry, I meant SSA, was typing fast, I don't know where IRS came from haha. Thank you for your answer.

Thank you, Bob. I will go back and hopefully they can fix it. It's such an inconvenience because I've been waiting to get a new card so I can get a driver license (can't get one until the name change has been updated with SSA and I will be sure that it has when I get a new card).

Edited by missicy

My Immigration Journey:

First off you did submit a new application. As I have repeatedly said SSA no longer uses the SS-5 when you apply in person. Next SSA does not keep a record of your address unless you are receiving benefits.

I would call the SSA 800# (800-772-1213) to see if the card has been issued. If the card has not been issued, go back to the office to get the address corrected. If the card has been issued and it has been over 14 days from the date the card was issued, go back to the office to report the non receipt, and make sure the address is correct when they take the action to issue another card.

You can speak to SSA toll-free number representatives from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on business days.

The 800-number telephones generally are less busy during the early morning from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and in the late afternoon and evening from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

When you call and receive a recording, the following should help you to move through the recorded message and speak to a representative.

Early in the recording you will hear, “Please tell me briefly the reason for your call.” Once you hear this statement, you should say, “Speak to agent.”

The recording will respond with a list of automated services that do not require speaking to a representative. You will eventually be asked, “Would you like to try it?” You should answer “No.”

At this point the call will be routed to a representative. The recording will provide an estimated wait time and you should continue to hold until a representative comes on the line.

Timeline

Thank you, I Quit. I called again and was able to talk to a representitive who told me that a new card hasn't been issued yet. So I told my husband that we would have go back to the office to change the address but he insisted that we call the office first before going there in person. We called and the person on the phone was able to correct the address and told me that they are still waiting for verification from DHS and that it can take 6 weeks or longer (then why tell people it will take up to 4 weeks if it's really 6 weeks? :huh: )

My Immigration Journey:

Thank you, I Quit. I called again and was able to talk to a representitive who told me that a new card hasn't been issued yet. So I told my husband that we would have go back to the office to change the address but he insisted that we call the office first before going there in person. We called and the person on the phone was able to correct the address and told me that they are still waiting for verification from DHS and that it can take 6 weeks or longer (then why tell people it will take up to 4 weeks if it's really 6 weeks? :huh: )

4 to 6 weeks is if everything needs to be done to verify your immigration status. I think they just tell people that to keep them from asking about what's going on with the application. If it's been a month I would try sending an e-mail to SSA to see what is going on:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/ask

Be sure to explain everything as you have here, such as you arrived as a K-1, got married, and now have a Green Card and applied for a name change a month ago. Include your phone number, the application reference number and the office where you applied (city and state)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.