SDB112585

Fiance on disability will this be a problem (i'm petitioner)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Me and my fiance recently recieved packet 3 and are getting paperwork together so i've been doing research on the financial documents and I came across this

"Not having adequate income will not usually be a problem if you have a co-sponsor, according to experiences

posted on the newsgroup, as long as the co-sponsor has adequate income/assets.

Be aware that the co-sponsor must have enough income/assets for both your fiance, any fiance children that will

be immigrating, and his/her own household. However, that IF the US fiance has been on welfare or other

government benefits for a lifetime or has no plans to work actively, the consulate can still deny the visa based on

the likelihood that the foreign fiance will become a public charge. Just having a co-sponsor may not be sufficient.

An actual case has been documented wherein a fiance visa was denied because the petitioning fiance was on

government benefits and would not be working, even though the US fiance had two co-sponsors."

my fiance has been on welfare in australia for 4 yrs recently got switched to disability due to a anxiety problem, he has worked in the past for 5yrs his work history and info is showing on his biographic data sheet and he plans to get a job when he arrives in the states will this be a problem for us? I am also a full time student about to get out of school so I am currently unemployed but I have my mom and stepdad to co sponsor they make over the income requirement so I hope eveything goes ok will any of this be a problem any advice is greatly appreciated.

as1cJOC0g410810MDAwMTQwOGx8MDA5Njk4c3xEYXlzIFNpbmNlIEZpbGVkIEZvciBLLTE.gif

Me and my fiance recently recieved packet 3 and are getting paperwork together so i've been doing research on the financial documents and I came across this

"Not having adequate income will not usually be a problem if you have a co-sponsor, according to experiences

Be aware that the co-sponsor must have enough income/assets for both your fiance, any fiance children that will

be immigrating, and his/her own household. However, that IF the US fiance has been on welfare or other

government benefits for a lifetime or has no plans to work actively, the consulate can still deny the visa based on

the likelihood that the foreign fiance will become a public charge. Just having a co-sponsor may not be sufficient.

An actual case has been documented wherein a fiance visa was denied because the petitioning fiance was on

government benefits and would not be working, even though the US fiance had two co-sponsors."

my fiance has been on welfare in australia for 4 yrs recently got switched to disability due to a anxiety problem, he has worked in the past for 5yrs his work history and info is showing on his biographic data sheet and he plans to get a job when he arrives in the states will this be a problem for us? I am also a full time student about to get out of school so I am currently unemployed but I have my mom and stepdad to co sponsor they make over the income requirement so I hope eveything goes ok will any of this be a problem any advice is greatly appreciated.

All of the above info about sponsorship pertain to the petitioner. I don't think they care about what he makes. They are just worried about you supporting him.

Best of luck!

12-27-2010: I-129F arrived at USCIS sent packet on 12/23

12-29-2010: Notice date on NOA1

12-31-2010: Check cleared

01-02-2011: NOA1 received via SMS & E-Mail

01-06-2011: NOA1 hardcopy received via USPS[/color]

2-17-2011:Touched

04/12/2011:NOA2!!!!!

4-18-11: Received by NVC

4-20-11: Left NVC

4-24-11: Received by the consulate in Abu Dhabi

4-27-11:Received both packet 3 & 4 via e-mail from Abu Dhabi

7-25-11:Interview date-Administrative Processing

8-3-11:Administrative Processing ended - APPROVED!!!!!! :D

8-25-11:POE-SFO

9-10-11:Married!!!

9-26-11:Sent AOS Packet

10-6-11:Received NOA1s via text and E-mail

10-9-11:NOA1 hardcopies received, along with biometrics appointment letter

10-25-11:Biometrics Appointment

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I know they do look at health/mental health issues and whether you would have to support someone based on health issues or have more expenses because of health issues. If he needed meds or, God forbid,hospitalization, he would not have access to health insurance initially here. Was he able to work while classed as disabled? I can't imagine it would look good that he is classified "disabled" by his diagnosis. I don't know the answer to your question but maybe this is something that will impact the answer? If it is a problem, perhaps a doctor would help you document he is stable, able to work, etc. and that might possibly help? I don't know but I hope some of the more knowledgeable folks weigh in on this.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

I know they do look at health/mental health issues and whether you would have to support someone based on health issues or have more expenses because of health issues.

I was wondering that. The health/mental health issue may raise some additional questions.

12-27-2010: I-129F arrived at USCIS sent packet on 12/23

12-29-2010: Notice date on NOA1

12-31-2010: Check cleared

01-02-2011: NOA1 received via SMS & E-Mail

01-06-2011: NOA1 hardcopy received via USPS[/color]

2-17-2011:Touched

04/12/2011:NOA2!!!!!

4-18-11: Received by NVC

4-20-11: Left NVC

4-24-11: Received by the consulate in Abu Dhabi

4-27-11:Received both packet 3 & 4 via e-mail from Abu Dhabi

7-25-11:Interview date-Administrative Processing

8-3-11:Administrative Processing ended - APPROVED!!!!!! :D

8-25-11:POE-SFO

9-10-11:Married!!!

9-26-11:Sent AOS Packet

10-6-11:Received NOA1s via text and E-mail

10-9-11:NOA1 hardcopies received, along with biometrics appointment letter

10-25-11:Biometrics Appointment

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The income is solely about the petitioner and whether you are able to support him. You will yes need a co sponsor for the 134 and also 864 when you do AOS after marriage if you don't have a job by then. As far as anxiety goes his medical in Australia is about blood tests and TB x rays. SO Unless he has been admitted to a phych hospital for a time there is nothing to worry about as you the petitioner are solely responsible for hm in the US.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.