Codeblue009

Need information to get a Ukrainian Citizen a Mexican visa

10 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I need some help with obtaining a Mexican visa for my Ukrainian girlfriend. Ok here is what I know.

She has never traveled outside Ukraine (not good); She is currently not working (yeah, not good); There are travel agencies I know we can use in Ukraine who can arrange such a trip, but it will cost more than if I did it myself. I know she doesn't need a visa for Cuba or Dominican Republic, but it would be beneficial to me for her to be in Mexico (selfish reasons-need to be close to work, cost to go to Mexico, and flight convienence).

So I am thinking if I purchase the plane tickets and the hotel for her, do you think the Mexican consulate in Kiev would grant her a visa? If not, please give me some ideas. I already know about the travel agencies in Ukraine and I kind of wish to avoid them. Ohhh...before I forget, I will have her transfer in Houston, Texas and I will board the plane in Houston with her. Do you think she needs a transfer visa from U.S. for this? She will have to go through customs at POE to connect to her flight. If so, how do we get that one? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm not sure about a Mexican visa... I know for US Citizens and some other countries a visa is not needed to enter Mexico. I have no idea if someone from Ukraine needs a visa to enter Mexico. I kind of doubt it, and if they do need one, I'd be willing to bet that it's very simple to attain. Mexico loves their tourists and they like to make it easy for them to get into the country.

I DO know that she will need a visa for the US even if she is just going to be transferring to a different flight and never leaving the airport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ukrainian citizens don't need a visa, she can get an Electronic Authorization online prior to her trip.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Solicitud_de_Autorizacion_Electronica/en.html

Edited by P.A.T

Timeline

From the US Embassy's website in Kiev:

"All travelers in transit through the United States require valid C1 visas unless they are nationals of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Transit visa holders may stay for a maximum of 29 days in the United States. C1 visa holders may not change their status to any other non-immigrant status and may not accept employment in the United States. In some cases, an individual who qualifies for a transit visa might also qualify for and receive a B1/B2 non-immigrant visa instead."

She'll need to apply for a transit visa at the Embassy in Kiev unless she has a US tourist visa already.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure about a Mexican visa... I know for US Citizens and some other countries a visa is not needed to enter Mexico. I have no idea if someone from Ukraine needs a visa to enter Mexico. I kind of doubt it, and if they do need one, I'd be willing to bet that it's very simple to attain. Mexico loves their tourists and they like to make it easy for them to get into the country.

I DO know that she will need a visa for the US even if she is just going to be transferring to a different flight and never leaving the airport.

?????????? Why would she go to the US if there is direct flights to Mexico available?

Timeline

?????????? Why would she go to the US if there is direct flights to Mexico available?

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone flying direct from Ukraine to Mexico City or Cancun, unless you're referring to charter flights (which are seasonal) which stop to refuel in various European airports without letting out the passengers.

Thanks for the information. There are no direct flights to Mexico from Kiev. Plus, I want her to come through Houston so we can fly there together. Thanks about the consulate information. I still wonder if it will be difficult to get a transfer visa from the U.S. consulate, especially if they allow a 29 day stay in U.S.

Timeline

I know couple of Ukrainians who got US transit visas in the past, they were also heading to Mexico. Don't think it should be difficult if you can show proof of confirmed travel (tickets, hotel, car rental)...just make sure it's all refundable or buy travel insurance that allows cancellation and refund for any reason.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.