3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

While patiently waiting for NOA2 it looks like that my wife's interview in Montreal will be scheduled for the next year.

And here's the problem.

My wife has been Canadian resident since January 2005. Up to that time she had been living in Ukraine.

When she was visiting her parents in January 2011 she got her PCC telling as of January (date), 2011 she has never been convicted or sentenced (something like that) etc in Ukraine.

Just couple days ago she obtained one from Toronto for Canada. And as it was told, PCCs are valid for one year at US embassy/consulate.

My question is: will she have to update her PCC from Ukraine (which is expiring somewhere in January 2012 - but it says nothing about expiration date on it) for her interview?

Personally, I don't see any reason to get newer from Ukraine since:

1. She left Ukraine in January 2005 and never lived there since for over 6 months (just couple parents' visits).

2. Her Ukrainian PCC clearly stated non-criminal background as of January 2011 and since January 2011 she had constantly kept her Canadian residency.

It doesn't make any sense for me to obtain another PCC from Ukraine since my wife is no longer residing in Ukraine. In addition, if the current Ukrainian PCC states about no criminal records as of January 2011, how could you possibly have committed crime in Ukraine prior to January 2011 since you're in Canada and have Ukrainian PCC covering that period before January 2011? What's the point of getting newer PCC from Ukraine as of, let's say, January 2012 if you have one covering up to January 2011 and the person resides in Canada on permanent base between January 2011 and January 2012? You see guys where I'm heading to?

The bottom-line is: Canadian PCC should be up-to-date, not Ukrainian.

I'd really like to hear from anybody else who had similar issue or how to deal with.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It doesn't matter what you think makes sense--contact the embassy and ask--it's a pretty simple yes or no answer.

In our case, police reports are only valid for 90 days in Costa Rica, and our interview is scheduled on day 100, so the embassy said we must get a new one, but that means nothing to you--every embassy does things a little differently.

email or phone--take your choice and don't waste time--and certainly don't wait for someone here to give you the answer you want to hear--only the embassy can tell you for sure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.