---

young couple confused about K1 proofs,Islam revert, & affadavit questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi!

I was just wondering what you guys sent in as proofs of ongoing relationship for the k1 visa. I know the obvious like skype photos, conversations, phone bills, etc but did any of you send in anything else that is sort of outside these expected proofs such as poems or something?

Problem #2 I converted to Islam way before I met my fiance, I was wondering if this could cause an issue if the interviewer might think he forced me to convert because I read previous cases were denied because of this. Any ideas on how I could validate that my conversion was prior to meeting him? I'm just sort of scared this could be a problem!

Question #3 So me and my fiance are students (I am 18 he is 20) at university so we currently don't have jobs due to full time enrollment in school. Though still enrolled, I am striving to find a job in my area but unfortunately there isn't anything available at the moment. I was wondering if having my mother as a co-sponsor would be sufficient for the affidavit(I 864)?

Should I inform the person reading my package that I am a student that is why there is no full time job in my I134 affidavit at the moment, in my cover letter?

Can you have more than one co-sponsor?

Does the Casablanca Consulate require both affidavits (I-134 and I-864) ?

Also, Can you meet the 100% of the poverty guideline or is it absolutely necessary to meet the 125% mark?

Thank you for your help!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

Salaam ya Margaret!

What stage of the process are you in? My fiance and I just got our NOA2 and are done with USCIS, but are facing the bigger problem of dealing with a partially closed embassy in his home country and other countries not wanting to take on another case. But seeing as we got our I-129F approved, I think I can give you some good advice!

#1 The things you listed should be fine. In our I-129 packet I included emails, facebook messages/wall posts, our Skype call log (you can get it on skype.com) and pictures. I thought there might be a problem because on FB and in email my fiance writes to me in Arabic (arabic letters, but english words) and I write in English (sometimes real english, sometimes arabic words with english letters). But it wasn't a problem whatsoever. They didn't ask for translations or anything.

#2 I converted to Islam 2 years before meeting my fiance. For me, I did it the very official way and have a certificate that shows when I converted. I didn't include anything about that in our packet and it wasn't a problem. I would say IF they bring it up as an issue, or if they send you a request for further evidence, that might be something to consider shedding a little more light on. But its definitely not necessary in the first round of info you send in. Your religion is your business. If you're still worried about it later in the process, maybe send your fiance a copy of your certificate of shahadah to take to the interview with him if they bring it up.

#3 In your I-129F packet, you don't need the affidavit of support. If you're in the embassy stage of the process, then as far as I know, a "co-sponsor" is actually like the ONLY sponsor. When you fill out the AOS form, there's only a spot for one person's name, so that person would become your mother. My mother is doing the same for me...I graduated recently and don't have a job that meets the requirement. So it will be her name on the form and it will show that SHE is the one with sufficient financial support for my fiance, not a combination of our incomes. You will also need copies of her tax returns for the last 3 years. But if you're only in USCIS stage....you don't need it at all yet!

K1 Fiance Visa Process
3/30/2011: I-129F sent
4/5/2011: NOA1 received from VSC
7/11/2011: consular services in Damascus suspended
8/3/2011: NOA2 received online via USCIS website
8/5/2011: NOA2 hard copy received
8/8/2011: transfer requests sent to Beirut, Ankara and Amman consulates
8/12/2011: NVC received case
8/21/2011: transfer request approved by Amman
8/23/2011: NVC approved case transfer, new case # assigned
8/25/2011: case mailed to consulate from NVC
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
9/25/2011: INTERVIEW! Result: Request for further information
10/11/2011: Additional information sent
11/14/2011: Case placed into Mandatory Administrative Processing
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam
4/22/2012: Requested documents sent to Embassy
5/8/2012: VISA IN HAND!!!

Total time from petition to approval: 58 weeks
Total time in AP: 25 weeks

6/17/2012: POE @ JFK Airport
7/14/2012: Married in Rochester, NY (L)(L)

Adjustment of Status & Employment Authorization

9/24/2012: I-485 and I-765 sent, filed jointly

9/27/2012: NOA1 for I-485 and I-765 received from NBC

11/5/2012: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

6/30/2015: I-751 sent to VSC

7/10/2015: NOA 1 for I-751

8/6/2015: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office
Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

2/13/2017: CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY

Filed: Timeline

First off, thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply and all the details. THANK YOU!!!

Well, I am actually not in a part of the process yet, I am just trying to get most of my questions answered before I start so I know what the heck I'm doing! lol

My masjid unfortunately did not give me any certificate and the Imam there is not consistant... different one every week. But Insha'Allah I am going to go there and see if there is any way possible they can give me some sort of form that verifies my conversion. I am just worried about later in the process, I don't want there to be any misunderstandings.

So your mom filled out the I-134 in place of you?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

First skype will not give you a print out of phone conversations so you need to use MSN. yahoo; or a land line to keep a good record of these:

Second skype photos? you need real photos of the tzo of you meeting and meeting his family is also important:

third; i also converted 2 months before I met my husband and yes; they thought he converted me and this could besa,e problem for you; we were denied afte 17 monhts of marriage; you need strong proof you were muslim before you met; We have been fighting --so to speak-- with immigration since July 2009 when we first applied for K-1

you can have co)sponsor but it must be a strong sponsorship and they need to understand the responsibility.

and the 125 persent if the guideline--nothing less.

and be prepqred to spend the money for meeting in Morocco; Meeting the family; spending a lot of time with them

keep all chats; all emails; all phone call records; all text messages; everything; my husband was asked the color of my house and many stupid quesitons like that so talk of everything to each other

Question #3 So me and my fiance are students (I am 18 he is 20) at university so we currently don't have jobs due to full time enrollment in school. Though still enrolled, I am striving to find a job in my area but unfortunately there isn't anything available at the moment. I was wondering if having my mother as a co-sponsor would be sufficient for the affidavit(I 864)?

Should I inform the person reading my package that I am a student that is why there is no full time job in my I134 affidavit at the moment, in my cover letter?

Can you have more than one co-sponsor?

Does the Casablanca Consulate require both affidavits (I-134 and I-864) ?

Also, Can you meet the 100% of the poverty guideline or is it absolutely necessary to meet the 125% mark?

Thank you for your help!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.