Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

What qualifies as legal copy of a birth certificate?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I returned to my parent's house today to obtain documents that I would need for my I-129F petition.

One of these documents was my birth certificate. I was planning on making a photocopy of this tomorrow but upon reading my certificate closely it reads the following: "Warning: It is illegal to duplicate this copy by photostat or photograph"

Uhhh..... ok so how am I supposed to provide a front and back copy of my birth certificate record when its apparently illegal to make a copy? Is there a way to request a legal copy directly from the Department of Health?

I could just copy my passport but I believe the same rules apply for making copies.

I am the petitioner.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can get certified copies of your birth certificate from the city where you were born (this assumes a US city). I ordered several copies online from the records office, or City Clerk, or something. Check the city web-site for it. Good Luck.


Travelers - not tourists


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.