CanuckGuy

Pretty complicated situation

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

We haven't been able to get a straight answer about any of this, even after visiting a lawyer.

We both work on the seas, we got engaged and decided to get married. She's from the USA and I'm from Canada. We're planning on getting married in the USA, but if we apply for a K1 it most likely will not be approved by the time I would enter the states (three months). I was advised to get married and then have my fiance apply for a K3 once I leave the states, but it seems from the posts I've looked at on here that the CR1 maybe is the better option?

I don't want to do anything dishonest, I'm just a little worried about coming into the states, cause I've heard horror stories of people who are denied entrance to the USA and cannot attend their own wedding. I'm completely open to eloping before the actual ceremony in order to avoid customs issues. I can't even find out online if she can obtain a marriage license if I'm Canadian..

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

CanuckGuy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K3 is a waste of time and money.

CR-1 is the rout you want to go.

All she needs to do is go to the county court house and pick up a marriage license. You need your passport and most likely your birth certificate. She will need to book the person to officiate the wedding and find out of there is a wait period after getting the license till you can get married.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply. That's good to know, do you have any insight into traveling into the United States before the wedding? I'll be traveling with her from Canada. Should I bring with me proof of a return flight? Or my Letter of Employment from work? I haven't applied for the K1 because it will take way too long.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply. That's good to know, do you have any insight into traveling into the United States before the wedding? I'll be traveling with her from Canada. Should I bring with me proof of a return flight? Or my Letter of Employment from work? I haven't applied for the K1 because it will take way too long.

Thanks!

Having your round trip ticket and proof of employment is a good idea. The nice thing about Canada-USA is that it is easy to visit while you go through the CR1 process. Just always answer the questions at the airport/border honestly and there should be no problem.

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

10/20/14...N-400 mailed to Phoenix
--/--/14.. N-400 packet received
--/--/14... Check cashed
--/--/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)
---/---/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --/--/14)
---/---/14... Early walk-in for Biometrics (Tampa FL)
---/---/14... In line for interview
---/---/14... Interview completed
---/---/14... Oath letter received
---/---/14... Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.