Gizzy

BEST WAY TO TEACH MY FILIPINA TO BUDGET

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

WONDERING HOW TO MAKE MY FILIPINA ABOUT BUDGETING....SHE SEEMS TO HV NO IDEA OF WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE MONEY AN BE ABLE TO SAVE OR BUDGET... SOMETIMES I THINK SHE THINKS MONEY JUST FALLS FROM TREES HERE... BELIEVE ME,,I NOT THE BEST WITH MONEY BUT I KNOW WHAT AN WHEN THINGS NEED TO BE PAID... IF I ASK HER WHERE THE MONEY WENT,,MOST THE TIME SHE GETS MAD BECAUSE I DONT TRUST HER WITH MONEY SHE SAYS... THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS....GREG

I was working way back when my then fiance (now husband) and I were in the process of doing K1. Since I was the breadwinner in the family, I never really had enough money for myself -- just getting by, but very hardly. When my then fiance offered to help me financially, I opened a bank account and put there whatever money he gave me. I got myself a log book of credits versus debits, so that at the end of the month, I can see where the money went. My then fiance never asked for what I did with the money, but when we visited me again for the second time, I showed him my log book. He was truly impressed and amazed of my system. He also found out how frugal I was. Now, when I got here, it took awhile for him to hand over the budgeting to me, only because there were so much to learn. Then when he thought I was ready to take over, he just let me do all the paying bills, banking, etc... It's never hard to budget whatever money you got if you list things and prioritize. Bills are paid as soon as we got the income, then live on whatever's left in the bank. We got all of our bills automatically deducted first week of every month. That way we don't miss any due dates.

Your fiancee needs to learn how to handle money wisely. When she gets here in the states, she will then realize that money, was in fact, hard to earn.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

i sense a red flag. especially when someone uses the "you dont trust me" line aka guilt trip. i really hope im wrong though.

i-129f sent - 5/25/11

noa1 - 6/1/2011

approved! - 1/26/2012

23h2kc4.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You can use some free tools that are available online where you can record your every expense and at end of month, some of these tools have good charting capability which can give you good visual where you spent the money.

The only thing is both of you will have to enter your expense in it, if you just ask her to enter her expense and not your expense then your trust issue will come back in game.

I think visual at the end of month should help both of you to see where you guys spent most and where you can control.

here are couple tools, Mint.com, Buxffer.com

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she's in the Philippines, send only enough to cover what is needed to be paid. Have her list down all her expenses and more importantly, tell her how hard you worked for the money you are giving her.

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Ask her to find a job, maybe this way she will find out how hard to earn money. Show to her all the bills you're paying and remind her that you both need an "emergency money" in the bank just in case something happen (God forbid). Get a notebook and list all your expenses and bills payment , she may not know how to budget but you can start and teach her how.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Just thinking about how my husband almost lost his life in line of duty one time too many was enough for me to know how to spend wisely and carefully. :yes:

Edited by David-and-Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I pay my fiancee so she does not work and we chat 8 hours a day while we wait for the K-1. She spends on average $10 a day in Thailand and emails me a daily record. She also lives with her aunt, so no rent, but I pay the electric for thhe house and internet. I gave her a BIG credit card and she charged $0.00 on it and she knows I make a few bucks and we have enough for about anything in life we would ever want. :D

While illegals invade the USA and get free benefits, we wait paying fees and filling out forms while the illegals fill out zero-thank you US politicians!

Waiting on interview now in BKK, started Jan 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greg/Gizzy--Yes, we all can always learn more about budgeting. I am still learning, too, but between an engaged couple, so many relationship situations--including financial handling--seems to be a matter of mutual learning, mutual trust, and clear communication.

I agree with walls1010 that an important first step is for you to communicate clearly to your fiance your personal income/outgo--not only to show your expenses but also as an example of how you manage your own personal budget. [Also, you might convert the expense amounts to pesos for clarity.] And, yes, don't forget to always try to set a percentage aside for those unexpected items, potential emergencies.

Second, instead of asking what happened after she has spent money which you have freey given, instead perhaps do the following: you and her, together,--before you send money--agree on a budget where a specific amount of what you will send is to be spent on specifically designated items/categories. You can even designate a certain portion to be a "freedom fund"; a portion of the budget which is not allocated to specific items but designated for her to use in whatever way she wants, no questions asked. Yes, she will later have to tell you if the amount(s) in the other categories were too much or too little but this is not a question of trust but rather realistically meeting needs and wants as best one can. Try this approach for a couple months and see how it works--you may have to adjust categories or amounts somewhat but at least you will be developing mutual trust, communication, and hopefully will be a learning experience.

I suspect your fiance is a very generous person, perhaps wanting to care for her friends, immediate family and extended family in action, time, and perhaps monetarily. If you set the combined monetary limits and flexibility in the approach suggested above this allows your fiance to still be generous but work within the limits of realistic budgeting. Plus, gives you both a chance to practice mutual money handling skills before your marriage. The above suggested approach is based on personal experience. No, the approach did not personally work out 100% perfectly, especially at first but seemed to work out pretty well after awhile. I am not even saying this will work for you and your fiance. I am just presenting a possible idea for you to consider. You and your fiance will have to discover what works best for the both of you. I sincerely hope that others here have and will share additional ideas that might work for you and Madelyn but most of all, sincerely, wish you the best in all things as a couple, your relationship, and your life together.

--RK

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ask her to find a job, maybe this way she will find out how hard to earn money. Show to her all the bills you're paying and remind her that you both need an "emergency money" in the bank just in case something happen (God forbid). Get a notebook and list all your expenses and bills payment , she may not know how to budget but you can start and teach her how.

Walls where you at in San berdoo????

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Show her your salary and then your list of bills so she sees where the money goes and why its important to be thrifty. Hopefully she will understand

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Yes, you need her to be involved with the monthly budget. So she sees what you pull in every month, and then list ALL the bills each month. Maybe collect all the monthly receipts and send them to her to tally and add up together.

When she sees all the expenses versus your income, then it will register in her brain what it means to live within a budget, that includes monthly savings for the future and retirement.

Good luck.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

WONDERING HOW TO MAKE MY FILIPINA ABOUT BUDGETING....SHE SEEMS TO HV NO IDEA OF WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE MONEY AN BE ABLE TO SAVE OR BUDGET... SOMETIMES I THINK SHE THINKS MONEY JUST FALLS FROM TREES HERE... BELIEVE ME,,I NOT THE BEST WITH MONEY BUT I KNOW WHAT AN WHEN THINGS NEED TO BE PAID... IF I ASK HER WHERE THE MONEY WENT,,MOST THE TIME SHE GETS MAD BECAUSE I DONT TRUST HER WITH MONEY SHE SAYS... THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS....GREG

Well that is the most common mistakes we filipinas NOT ALL think especially when we are still in our country. We think money in america just grow on trees...lol( that's what i thought at first too).

My fiancee who is my husband now sends me and my family every month but whatever he sends me every single month may it be 100 or 1000.. is considered mine then he would and never asked me how i spent the money but i have to say it's all budgeted to last for a month.

When i got here and got a job of my own i know how to budget and prioritize things. BILLS first. Needs first before wants.

Walls where you at in San berdoo????

Fontana

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.