jimmysmitts

High School Diploma

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Working on getting my fiancees transcripts and getting her admitted to college. WES requires the transcripts to be sent directly to them which based on the trouble we are having with her school in ph it does not seem possible. Anyone else have this problem? Are there are other organizations that are as recognized as WES and will just take the transcripts delivered from us?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Working on getting my fiancees transcripts and getting her admitted to college. WES requires the transcripts to be sent directly to them which based on the trouble we are having with her school in ph it does not seem possible. Anyone else have this problem? Are there are other organizations that are as recognized as WES and will just take the transcripts delivered from us?

What is WES? My wife's about to attend university here and had to get her official transcripts from the college and university she attended back in the Philippines. It was a bit of headache - she had to call the school up herself and then get family members to go directly to the school. As far as I understand it, each college or university will require the official transcripts directly from the school.

You mention that she's still your fiancee - is she state-side yet? Even more important than getting her official transcripts, you'll want to get married first and apply for AOS (2 year Green Card), mainly to establish her residency. Out of state tuition is outrageous enough, but trying to go to college as a foreign student is incredibly expensive. My wife just waited a year (we moved to this state just about a year ago), for her in-state residency to take effect. The difference is in the thousands of dollars.

Timeline

What is WES? My wife's about to attend university here and had to get her official transcripts from the college and university she attended back in the Philippines. It was a bit of headache - she had to call the school up herself and then get family members to go directly to the school. As far as I understand it, each college or university will require the official transcripts directly from the school.

You mention that she's still your fiancee - is she state-side yet? Even more important than getting her official transcripts, you'll want to get married first and apply for AOS (2 year Green Card), mainly to establish her residency. Out of state tuition is outrageous enough, but trying to go to college as a foreign student is incredibly expensive. My wife just waited a year (we moved to this state just about a year ago), for her in-state residency to take effect. The difference is in the thousands of dollars.

She is currently in the USA with me and the wedding is next month. https://www.wes.org/ is the organization most colleges us to evaluate foreign transcripts and degrees. She is going for a medical assistant certificate which has no discount for residency and is a one year cert.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

She is currently in the USA with me and the wedding is next month. https://www.wes.org/ is the organization most colleges us to evaluate foreign transcripts and degrees. She is going for a medical assistant certificate which has no discount for residency and is a one year cert.

Most of the schools and Universities in my country do not mail transcripts. They just issue them to students. The system is different from States so there is no way my Uni will mail it to WES. So what I did was when i picked up my transcript, I asked the admin people to seal it in an envelope. I went to DHL, told the lady to put University address under the 'FROM' column. Everything went smooth. Not sure if this will work for you. Good Luck!

Best wishes,

moSu

April 11th 2011 - Got Married in NY City Hall

May 16th 2011 - Text/Email receipt confirmation by USCIS

May 19th 2011 - Received NOA for I-485, I-130 & I-131

May 31st 2011 - Received NOA for I-765

June 4th 2011 - Received NOA for Biometrics 6/24/2011

June 24th 2011 - Done with Biometrics, Hopefully with no mistakes

July 5th 2011 - Online updates, EAC and AP approved

July 15th 2011 - Received EAD/AP card

Sept 26th 2011 - Online updates, Interview on Nov 1st

Sept 26th 2011 - Received Interview letter (Nov 1st,Federal Plaza,8:15am)

Nov 1st 2011 - Interview ~ Approved!

Nov 4th 2011 - Online Update ~ Card Production :D

Timeline

Ah, ok. I'm currently working in the medical field and I would recommend not spending the money on getting a medical assistant certificate because they are worthless. For one, many medical offices will hire someone without any experience or training. For example, my wife currently works at an orthodontist's office as an assistant. Although she was actually a practicing dentist back in the Philippines, most of her co-workers had little to no experience when they were hired. Also, it's a pretty dead end job - good to hold while attending school, but not something anyone should pay to get certified for.

Instead, I'd recommend looking into her getting a CNA license (nurse assistant). She can take just a semester to do it and then be able to work at a hospital, office, or long term care facility, and then if she wants, she can gradually work towards becoming an RN.

Just be wary of these for-profit, vocation schools. They cost way more than they are worth and you can find many similar certificate programs at your local community college for a fraction of the cost. A semester for the CNA at a community college would be about $1,000, including books and supplies.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Most of the schools and Universities in my country do not mail transcripts. They just issue them to students. The system is different from States so there is no way my Uni will mail it to WES. So what I did was when i picked up my transcript, I asked the admin people to seal it in an envelope. I went to DHL, told the lady to put University address under the 'FROM' column. Everything went smooth. Not sure if this will work for you. Good Luck!

Best wishes,

moSu

She can ask a friend or relative to mail it for her. That's if there's no other choice.

April 11th 2011 - Got Married in NY City Hall

May 16th 2011 - Text/Email receipt confirmation by USCIS

May 19th 2011 - Received NOA for I-485, I-130 & I-131

May 31st 2011 - Received NOA for I-765

June 4th 2011 - Received NOA for Biometrics 6/24/2011

June 24th 2011 - Done with Biometrics, Hopefully with no mistakes

July 5th 2011 - Online updates, EAC and AP approved

July 15th 2011 - Received EAD/AP card

Sept 26th 2011 - Online updates, Interview on Nov 1st

Sept 26th 2011 - Received Interview letter (Nov 1st,Federal Plaza,8:15am)

Nov 1st 2011 - Interview ~ Approved!

Nov 4th 2011 - Online Update ~ Card Production :D

Timeline

Ah, ok. I'm currently working in the medical field and I would recommend not spending the money on getting a medical assistant certificate because they are worthless. For one, many medical offices will hire someone without any experience or training. For example, my wife currently works at an orthodontist's office as an assistant. Although she was actually a practicing dentist back in the Philippines, most of her co-workers had little to no experience when they were hired. Also, it's a pretty dead end job - good to hold while attending school, but not something anyone should pay to get certified for.

Instead, I'd recommend looking into her getting a CNA license (nurse assistant). She can take just a semester to do it and then be able to work at a hospital, office, or long term care facility, and then if she wants, she can gradually work towards becoming an RN.

Just be wary of these for-profit, vocation schools. They cost way more than they are worth and you can find many similar certificate programs at your local community college for a fraction of the cost. A semester for the CNA at a community college would be about $1,000, including books and supplies.

Thanks for the reply I will let her know, she just noticed one of the commercials on TV and decided to find out more info. The entire course is 1k so not very expensive, regardless she will need it for employment right? Or will most offices accept a foreign high school diploma?

Im going to grad school next month. What I did was I went to my school and had them seal my transcript in their university envelope and address it to WES but they gave it to me and I was the one who mailed it. I got the evaluation with no problems. She can ask a friend or relative to do it for her as long they have some kind of authorization letter and her id, you can just scan it for them :) goodluck!!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Thanks for the reply I will let her know, she just noticed one of the commercials on TV and decided to find out more info. The entire course is 1k so not very expensive, regardless she will need it for employment right? Or will most offices accept a foreign high school diploma?

Nope. She could get a job at a dental office with little to no experience and no training. It depends on where you live and the place she's applying at. There is no state requirement to be certified as a medical assistant that I'm aware of. You can check with your state, but IMO, the whole certificate thing is a ploy to get naive people to pay a chunk of money for training they don't need.

What kind of pay is she looking or hoping for? Because most MA jobs aren't going to pay any more than if she worked in retail. A CNA license is legit though because it is required by the Feds for quality of health care professionals, however, some long term facilities will hire Caretakers and they can do certain, limited tasks. There's a whole slew of jobs in the medical field that she could potentially get hired for, and most of the entry level don't require any formal training or certification. Save the money or use it on something that is legit.

Edited by DFH

Timeline

Nope. She could get a job at a dental office with little to no experience and no training. It depends on where you live and the place she's applying at. There is no state requirement to be certified as a medical assistant that I'm aware of. You can check with your state, but IMO, the whole certificate thing is a ploy to get naive people to pay a chunk of money for training they don't need.

What kind of pay is she looking or hoping for? Because most MA jobs aren't going to pay any more than if she worked in retail. A CNA license is legit though because it is required by the Feds for quality of health care professionals, however, some long term facilities will hire Caretakers and they can do certain, limited tasks. There's a whole slew of jobs in the medical field that she could potentially get hired for, and most of the entry level don't require any formal training or certification. Save the money or use it on something that is legit.

Hello. Do you think a BS in Nursing graduate (not RN) could get a job within the medical field even if no work experience? Just wondering.

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

Timeline

I think if the person wants to apply for a CNA or RN license in the state he/she intends to have a license with, then WES might not be a good service for credential evaluation I think.. I would suggest to check on the BON website of the state the applicant wants to have a license with (for RN license, LPN, CNA,...), they have lists of reccommended credential evaluation services like ERES, CGFNS, etc..

But if you simply just want to study in the US (non-medical field courses), WES might be great to have your credentials evaluated.

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbs:

Sam's CRBA, US Passport, and SSN Journey

Nov. 2010: CRBA and US passport application sent(via Air21)

Dec. 08, 2010: Interview(DNA was recommended)

April 04, 2011: CRBA and US passport on hand

April 2011: SSN Application sent (mailed original docs thru 2GO)

April 29, 2011: SSN card on hand

My K1 Visa Journey

March 05, 2011: I-129F packet sent

March 14, 2011: NOA1

May 20, 2011: NOA2(approved in 67 days from NOA1, with no RFEs)

June 24, 2011: NVC received approved petition from USCIS

June 29, 2011: Approved original petition left NVC to US Embassy-Manila

July 15, 2011: Eligibility letter received from US Embassy-Manila(dated July 11, 2011)

October 26 - June 5, 2012: SLEC trap!!! (DOT tx to vaccine administration)

June 7, 2012: Interview (APPROVED!) :)

June 18, 2012: Visa picked up at the embassy

June 20, 2012: POE in Detroit

proud of my family

:)

Timeline

Hello. Do you think a BS in Nursing graduate (not RN) could get a job within the medical field even if no work experience? Just wondering.

You mean from the Philippines? I believe you have to pass an exam here to work as a nurse, but I'm sure there are places that will someone without experience.

Timeline

I think if the person wants to apply for a CNA or RN license in the state he/she intends to have a license with, then WES might not be a good service for credential evaluation I think.. I would suggest to check on the BON website of the state the applicant wants to have a license with (for RN license, LPN, CNA,...), they have lists of reccommended credential evaluation services like ERES, CGFNS, etc..

But if you simply just want to study in the US (non-medical field courses), WES might be great to have your credentials evaluated.

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbs:

After talking with my wife about this (trying to get your high school transcripts evaluated) she said it would be a lot easier to just take the equivalency test (GED).

WES = World Education Service, if I remember right. My wife had to have her transcripts evaluated through WES specifically, to get her teachers license here.

She could get her CNA certification with just a personal copy of the transcripts. Here in Tennessee (and elsewhre) training is maybe 4 weeks long, 2 weeks classroom and 2 weeks on the floor. There are many places that give the CNA training at no cost, and no obligation to work for them in exchange, such as at some nursing homes and hospitals. Once she would complete the training she would be able to apply to take the test for certification, both written and practical exam. Then her certification is good for 2 years, and all you have to do every 2 years is show that she worked something like 5 hours in that 2 year period. Can renew the certification online or by phone. In the mean time she can go to school if she wants, as her work allows.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.