g+y

Packet 3 for K-1 Visa (Cuba)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I posted this question in a reply within a similar thread, but it was a bit off-topic so I'll start a new one.

Regarding the somewhat atypical K-1 Visa process for someone in Cuba to travel to the US to get married, I would like to find out what is included in the "Packet 3" (also called "superpacket") that the beneficiary picks up from the US Interests Section in the Swiss embassy in Havana, Cuba. I am referring to the packet that the beneficiary picks up after the petitioner has called the special number to buy the pin and has obtained the interview appointment (for 8-9 months later :angry: ).

The reason I ask is that my fiancée lives in Santiago de Cuba, so instead of traveling all the way to Havana to pick up the packet (it can't be mailed), we just got "all" the forms and info from the web sites. (She has free email and internet access because she works as an editor for a web site, so it was relatively easy for me to email her everything as attachments.) I read some posts here from previous K-1 visa couples in which it was stated that everything in the packet you pick up in Havana can be downloaded. I don't remember how old the posts were, however, which is why I wrote "all", because perhaps this is no longer the case. If you know, or if anyone else recently picked up the packet, would you mind posting a description of exactly what it contained and if there is anything that needs to be turned in prior to the interview? Is there anything we need or need to do that is mentioned in the packet but not on the following web page? http://havana.usint.gov/family_based_immigrants.html Thanks in advance! :)

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

From the Cuban Interest Section website:

Each applicant must present the following documents:

Valid passport and photocopy of pages where issuance and expiration dates as well as the passport number appear.

Form DS-230, Part I and Part II

Please note that K visas will also need to bring forms DS-156, DS-157, and DS-156K at the time of their interview.

Photos, (2) color photos on white background of the beneficiary facing the camera and measuring 50 mm x 50 mm taken within the last six months.

Birth certificate.

Civil status certificate stating whether the beneficiary is single, married, divorced, or widowed.

Criminal Records from Cuba and any other country where the beneficiary has lived starting at age 16.

Medical examination. Beneficiaries need to check the list of hospitals where they can have their medical examination. On the day of their medical appointment, they should bring this list along with the letter from the National Visa Center indicating their case number.

Affidavit of Support, form I-864 must be completed by the petitioner and sent to the National Visa Center. If the petitioner does not send this document, the beneficiary will need to submit this form at the time of the interview along with a copy of the petitioner’s income tax from the previous year.

Please note that K visas do not require form I-864, but should bring proof of the petitioner’s economic solvency.

Relationship evidence. Only in the case of visa categories K-1, K-3, IR-1, CR-1, and F2-A. This includes photos of the marriage or relationship and any other evidence that demonstrates that the relationship is bona fide.

IV processing fee. If the petitioner did not pay the IV processing fee at the National Visa Center, the applicant will need to pay the corresponding fee at the time of the consular interview. If the petitioner previously paid the IV processing fee of $325 USD, the beneficiary will be responsible for paying a surcharge of $42 convertible pesos.

4/1/2011 - Mailed I129F

4/4/2011 - I129F received by USCIS (Priority date)

4/5/2001 - Post Office Return Receipt signed by USCIS

4/6/2011 - USCIS receipt date

4/7/2011 - Received e-mail/text NOA1

4/8/2011 - Touched

4/12/2011 - Receipt received via snail mail (I797C)

8/29/2011 - Received email/text NOA2

9/2/2011 - NVC received (no NVC # assigned yet)

9/2/2011 - Received hardcopy of NOA2

9/6/2011 - NVC Havana case number assigned

9/16/2011 - NVC forwarded case to Havana

9/19/2011 - NVC generated informational letter to me

9/23/2011 - Received letter from NVC via snail mail

10/6/2011 - Packet received by US Interest Section in Havana

10/18/2011 - Amel received telegram advising him when to pick up packet

12/05/2011 - Amel had blood work and x-rays done in preparation for medical examination

12/12/2011 - Amel picked up packet of forms at the USINT in Havana.

01/10/2012 - Amel had his medical exam today.

03/01/2012 - Interview: APPROVED!

03/20/2012 - Visa received.

3/23/2012 - Carta blanca, etc. requested

Timeline

From the Cuban Interest Section website:

Each applicant must present the following documents:

Valid passport and photocopy of pages where issuance and expiration dates as well as the passport number appear.

Form DS-230, Part I and Part II

Please note that K visas will also need to bring forms DS-156, DS-157, and DS-156K at the time of their interview.

Photos, (2) color photos on white background of the beneficiary facing the camera and measuring 50 mm x 50 mm taken within the last six months.

Birth certificate.

Civil status certificate stating whether the beneficiary is single, married, divorced, or widowed.

Criminal Records from Cuba and any other country where the beneficiary has lived starting at age 16.

Medical examination. Beneficiaries need to check the list of hospitals where they can have their medical examination. On the day of their medical appointment, they should bring this list along with the letter from the National Visa Center indicating their case number.

Affidavit of Support, form I-864 must be completed by the petitioner and sent to the National Visa Center. If the petitioner does not send this document, the beneficiary will need to submit this form at the time of the interview along with a copy of the petitioner’s income tax from the previous year.

Please note that K visas do not require form I-864, but should bring proof of the petitioner’s economic solvency.

Relationship evidence. Only in the case of visa categories K-1, K-3, IR-1, CR-1, and F2-A. This includes photos of the marriage or relationship and any other evidence that demonstrates that the relationship is bona fide.

IV processing fee. If the petitioner did not pay the IV processing fee at the National Visa Center, the applicant will need to pay the corresponding fee at the time of the consular interview. If the petitioner previously paid the IV processing fee of $325 USD, the beneficiary will be responsible for paying a surcharge of $42 convertible pesos.

Right, that is the information from the link I provided in my original post. I probably wasn't being clear enough. When the NVC sent everything to Havana, I (petitioner) got a letter that included the following statement: "Your fiancé will soon receive a packet with instructions from the consular section on how to apply for the K1 visa at that post and what documents will be required." At this point, the beneficiary is supposed to receive a telegram (although it is not always received by the beneficiary) to go pick up the packet in Havana. Given that web sites are not always up to date, if possible, I just wanted to verify the contents of the packet with someone who recently has picked up the packet. I think we have everything, but it would not be a nice surprise to show up to the interview and find out to the contrary.

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline

The packet 3 my fiancé picked up in Havana has the following:

1 copy - I-156K (Rev. 03-1998) (English on Front, Spanish on Back)

1 copy – DS-230 Parts I and II (Rev. 07-2004) (In Spanish)

2 copies – DS-156 (Rev. 2-2003) (In Spanish)

2 copies – DS-157 (Rev. 1-2002) (In Spanish)

There is a checklist of documents to gather (Police, Birth Certificate, Medical, Etc.)

There is a list indicating the approved hospitals for the medical.

Here’s the kicker…There’s also a cover letter that says this letter needs to be presented at the time of the interview,and it also requests this letter on the document checklist. My fiancé was asked for this letter, when booking the medical appointment, but was eventually able to schedule without it.

If you have K-2 children involved, the packet will contain everything listed above except the I-156K, for each child as well. Also don’t forget to provide the I-134…It’s listed on the documents checklist. You will also need to fill out both copies of DS-156 and DS-157 for each beneficiary. I don’t see a way to attach a document to VJ or I’d go ahead and do it…Sorry, I hope you understand, but I’m pretty protective of my personal email, and don’t want to send it from there 100 times over the next year…ja ja. Hope this helps.

It’s surprising how outdated the documents are in the packet…I’m not sure if we should go ahead, and fill out the forms they gave us by hand, or download more recent documents to type up on the computer.

Oh, and it doesn’t seem that anything needs to be turned in before the interview day.

Its not problem if you take the forms with you I have a friend who did it because they are also from santiago..now they need to be in spanish so in wont be hard for her to fill out because its mostly on her very little about the petitioner (this case you)good luck!

• 1 year later...
Timeline

This question isn't a new one, but I guess I want to ask about people's recent experience with Packet 3 for a K-1 visa in Cuba.

My fiance got a very quick interview date (less than 3 weeks away), but cannot get to Habana before that to pick up Packet 3. We are pretty certain that we have all of the documents we need (we got them from the websites, etc), but is it absolutely necessary to have this "confirmation letter" that is in Packet 3? He will have a copy of the document that I received from NVC. Is that enough (along with all the other necessary documents)?

Thank you for any input you can share regarding this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.