krista_nourdin

Marriage during Ramadan

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Any suggestions for getting married in Morocco during Ramadan?

I know it is a crazy idea. I need to know if it will be possible to do and within a 3 week stay. I have not gotten my tickets yet, but would need to get them within the next week. My next opportunity to go to Morocco will be around the holidays, and I still will only have 3 weeks. :crying: I know that a 3 week stay is not the preferred amount of time to get married in Morocco, without throwing Ramadan into the mix, but it is all that I can do.

Some have suggested to prepare as much as possible in advance. What can be done in advance to speed up the process? Can the translated documents be done from copies or do they have to be done from originals?

The website for the US Embassy in Morocco says that "An American police record must be obtained from a police department in the state where you last resided or from the FBI". However it then says "U.S. citizens who would like to obtain their police records are required to contact the FBI." Which is it? A police report from the local police station or the FBI's criminal history record? I have not done this yet, so if the answer is that it must be the FBI report, then I do not have enough time to get it.

Thank you for any insight or suggestions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

well...i dont know about ramadan, ..i live in morocco thou but dont know if one can get married in ramadan, im not sure...but i'll ask for u..and ask my husband, cz he was once married to an american here in morocco..

Edited by miss191209

08/12/2010 received NOA1

09/05/2011 received NOA2

20/05/2011 Called the NVC get NVC number and gave our emails

21/05/2011 DS3032 email Sent /

23/05/2011 paid the AOS fee Bill

25/05/2011 AOS statut PAID

25/05/2011 Sent Request to clear the error in my name (ughhh)

27/05/2011 PAID the IV BILL -statut in process

28/05/2011 got the response for my request to modify the error in my name..== OK

31/05/2011 AOS Package sent via usps express

01/06/2011 IV bill statut " PAID "

03/06/2011 AOS Package received by NVC

03/06/2011 IV Package sent via usps express

05/06/2011 IV Package received by NVC

05/06/2011 fingers crossed

17/06/2011 second stupid FALSE RFE for missing DS230

24/06/2011 SIF SIF SIF SIF YES SIIIIF (Sign In Failed) and Case complete ( CC)

NVC journey ended after 34 days***

28/07/2011 medical passed===> OK

10/08/2011 interview date==>ok but there is a missing document

21/08/2011 Visa in hand

27/08/2011 POE at CHICAGO O'Hare

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband and I did all of our papers during ramadan and you could do it all in 3 weeks if you don't take a single day off u just keep ontop of the papers!I know a couple who did it in 12 days! but u can for sure do it during ramadan just when you go to the consulate the hours change during that time and you have to call and make appointments now! if you have more Questions please feel free to ask! Anything u need to know about papers just ask! I still have the list from the adul of papers and documents needed. :) God bless and good luck with everything!

From my experience, it was difficult enough trying to get people in the government offices to do their jobs quickly when it wasn't Ramadan. I think it'd be very difficult during Ramadan to get done in a timely manner.

We had everything translated ahead of time, and we went right to the US consulate from the airport & we were able to be married within 2 weeks. That was in Casablanca. Not sure the time frames in other cities etc. I think you may have mentioned your fiancé is a farmer. If he lives in rural area time frames may be longer.

Timeline

My husband and I did all of our papers during ramadan and you could do it all in 3 weeks if you don't take a single day off u just keep ontop of the papers!I know a couple who did it in 12 days! but u can for sure do it during ramadan just when you go to the consulate the hours change during that time and you have to call and make appointments now! if you have more Questions please feel free to ask! Anything u need to know about papers just ask! I still have the list from the adul of papers and documents needed. :) God bless and good luck with everything!

Can you send me the list? I want to make sure we have everything. What can I do ahead of time to prepare? How do I get everything translated ahead of time? Can they translate from copies, or do they have to be originals?

Yes, he is in a rural area. Between Tiflet and Khemisset.

I feel so frazzled. I do not like feeling rushed, but yet I don't want to wait until December to see him again. There are so many pros and cons to either going during Ramadan or in December.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Isn't there a rule about no sex during Ramadan as well? Would kind of blow to have a wedding, with no wedding night.

It's true during the day u can not kiss or anything lustful but if u are married u can have sex after the sun is down but you have to wash before sunrise!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know it is a crazy idea. I need to know if it will be possible to do and within a 3 week stay. I have not gotten my tickets yet, but would need to get them within the next week. My next opportunity to go to Morocco will be around the holidays, and I still will only have 3 weeks. :crying: I know that a 3 week stay is not the preferred amount of time to get married in Morocco, without throwing Ramadan into the mix, but it is all that I can do.

Some have suggested to prepare as much as possible in advance. What can be done in advance to speed up the process? Can the translated documents be done from copies or do they have to be done from originals?

The website for the US Embassy in Morocco says that "An American police record must be obtained from a police department in the state where you last resided or from the FBI". However it then says "U.S. citizens who would like to obtain their police records are required to contact the FBI." Which is it? A police report from the local police station or the FBI's criminal history record? I have not done this yet, so if the answer is that it must be the FBI report, then I do not have enough time to get it.

Timeline

My husband and I got married and had certificate in hand in 10 days, however it was not during Ramadan and we worked on it everyday. We had all the documents translated before I got there, the translator however would not release his copies until I arrived and provided the original copy but he did the work beforehand. The police certificate for us was just a local police report stating I did not have any outstanding crimes etc. I got the police report in Puerto Rico but my state of residence is Texas (military). I don't think they check too closely they just want a report. We married in Khemisset and had no issues. The biggest hold up for us was the interview with the local police department getting a hold of an Investigator was a task. Everything else we did in only one day, we expedited our marriage certificate as well the man who registered our marriage personally went to Rabat and registered our marriage certificate (original and certified copy) and returned it in two days rather than waiting 10 days. I left Morocco after 17 days married with my original marriage certificate in hand. I translated the certificate once I returned home. Things come up as you go through the process as well. We both had to give statement attesting to our religion and all documents have to be stamped at a separate office before submitting the marriage request to the judge. Actually, we never saw the judge the lawyer at the courthouse took our packet and brought it back signed then we delivered the entire packet to the police department. The interview is suppose to be reference the marriage but the Investigator only asked me military questions that I refused to answer, he had no need to know. First stop the embassy with your passport, fill out intent to marry letter get certified copy of passport, next stop Rabat to get a police certificate on you. Next collect all his documents your fiance also needs a intent to marry certificate, birth certificate, police report, religion statement all the same documents you provide. Get them all stamped then go to the courthouse, the police department is next, finally come back to courthouse to get married (not a ceremony) they fill out the marriage certificate you both sign and they send it off to get registered officially in Rabat. Most important information you need 4 copies of everything before the documents are logged and stamped, the court keeps a copy, police department another, they provide one to office in Rabat and you keep one. I made 5 to ensure both my husband and I kept a copy. Hope this helps, as you can see it is a long process but it can be done Ramadan will make it a bit more challenging.

MIBEN

Timeline

My husband and I got married and had certificate in hand in 10 days, however it was not during Ramadan and we worked on it everyday. We had all the documents translated before I got there, the translator however would not release his copies until I arrived and provided the original copy but he did the work beforehand. The police certificate for us was just a local police report stating I did not have any outstanding crimes etc. I got the police report in Puerto Rico but my state of residence is Texas (military). I don't think they check too closely they just want a report. We married in Khemisset and had no issues. The biggest hold up for us was the interview with the local police department getting a hold of an Investigator was a task. Everything else we did in only one day, we expedited our marriage certificate as well the man who registered our marriage personally went to Rabat and registered our marriage certificate (original and certified copy) and returned it in two days rather than waiting 10 days. I left Morocco after 17 days married with my original marriage certificate in hand. I translated the certificate once I returned home. Things come up as you go through the process as well. We both had to give statement attesting to our religion and all documents have to be stamped at a separate office before submitting the marriage request to the judge. Actually, we never saw the judge the lawyer at the courthouse took our packet and brought it back signed then we delivered the entire packet to the police department. The interview is suppose to be reference the marriage but the Investigator only asked me military questions that I refused to answer, he had no need to know. First stop the embassy with your passport, fill out intent to marry letter get certified copy of passport, next stop Rabat to get a police certificate on you. Next collect all his documents your fiance also needs a intent to marry certificate, birth certificate, police report, religion statement all the same documents you provide. Get them all stamped then go to the courthouse, the police department is next, finally come back to courthouse to get married (not a ceremony) they fill out the marriage certificate you both sign and they send it off to get registered officially in Rabat. Most important information you need 4 copies of everything before the documents are logged and stamped, the court keeps a copy, police department another, they provide one to office in Rabat and you keep one. I made 5 to ensure both my husband and I kept a copy. Hope this helps, as you can see it is a long process but it can be done Ramadan will make it a bit more challenging.

MIBEN

It is good that the translator can work from copies. Is it best for my fiance to give them the copies to start on, or is it okay to email them to the translator? I was told the Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry from the consulate had to be translated into Arabic before presenting it to the place in Rabat. I thought in Rabat they certified the affidavit, but they issue a police certificate? Oh, is it some kind of paper allowing us to procede to the next step? Where does my fiance get an intent to marry certificate, or should he already know this? You say to "get them all stamped". Where at? You say I need at least 4 "copies" of everything before the documents are logged and stamped. Does this mean I should have 4 sets of originals or 4 sets of photocopies?

Thanks!

I would say have you fiance find out what is needed in his city/area, have him do all the research and know exactly what needs to be done from Moroccan perspective.

If he was coming here to get married, would you require him to do the research, or would you find it out and know what had to be done when he got here?

I knew the papers I needed to have translated from the consulate website, and scanned and emailed them to my husband. He took them to the translator, and like the person above mentioned, he did the translation but waited for me to get there with the originals to give them to us.

Re: the documents we needed translated from the consulate - we went to the consulate from the airport, got the documents and then went right to the translator, where we dropped them off, went and had breakfast, and then back to the translator where we picked up all of the documents.

I don't know the answers to the other questions b/c my husband did the research about marrying in his country, drove us where we needed to go, and told me what to do with papers, etc in the building I needed to go alone.

The other thought I had about getting married in Ramadan - lots of things are expedited in Morocco by paying extra for it (corruption, bribing, etc - whatever you want to call it). Don't know if that is decreased during Ramadan, which would slow things down even more. Ask your fiance what he thinks about that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We just married in Fez back in may.... It took us 2 and a half months :0( Seems loike this whole process is a ####### shoot and no 2 cases are alike.. Insha'allah you will be able to get everything done within the 3 weeks... Make sure you have all your documents and plenty of copies... And stay on top of it... Take no days off until it is complete... Good luck :0)

8QTYm5.png

FXz7m5.png

Timeline

I sent the scanned copies to my fiance, he provided it to the translator because the translator was not replying to my emails.

We got to the embassy at 8:00 a.m. got the Affadavit of Nationality and Eligibility to marry ($50 or equivalent in dirham), took the bus to Rabat submitted the papers at about noon or so and I was told to return at 3:00 p.m. to get the certifcate. Also you have to buy some stamps and have copies of your ID and passport done before going into the office in Rabat they take all information to include your passport at the gate and tell you to come back. You can get the stamp in an office that sells magazines and office supplies by the Medina and then the copies at another office across from the agency that does your certificate it took us about 45 minutes of walking before we could turn in the paperwork in Rabat. Actually everyone is told to return at 3:00 p.m. they sit you in a lobby and then call your name and return your papers and the police certificate which is in French no need to translate.

The Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry from the consulate did not have to be translated into Arabic before presenting it to the place in Rabat. If I recall correctly the form itself is already in both English and Arabic or French they do issue a police cerificate on you for Morocco not on your spouse he gets his report from his local police department.

The intent to marry certificate he gets from his neighborhood police office, every neighborhood has a small office. We got ours in one hour, not much of a wait.

I had to do most of the research myself, my husband had never been married before so he did not know the process and me being a foreigner only added to the process it quickly became overwhelming for him. What we did is we called on a friend of his that had just gotten married to an American and he was a great help at the court, religion certificate and for the police interview. He was also able to assist us with the attorney. What helped us was that my husband had friends that worked in the courthouse, they pushed us through.

Lastly, not sure about your case but I was previously married and I had to provide both my original divorce decree and a notarized letter from my ex-husband stating I was free to marry that he had no objections. Yes research helps, I only knew that because a friend of mine was denied by a judge for the same reason in Morocco. I checked all blocks to avoid any delays and I was glad because they asked for the letter too.

Good Luck,

Timeline

I will get you a concrete answer on the location of the place for stamps in Khemisset there was two locations and will confirm the place for the certificate of intent to marry. One thing I learned about Morocco is that no two cities follow the same standards. Processes are not standardized across every city. Will talk to my hubby at noon and give you an update.

Timeline

Spoke to my husband and he informed me the office that stamps all documents is called a marriage office in all cities and they have several per city. Also he informed me that if your husband lives in a rural town, he has to go to the closest major city for court services in your case you have to go to Khemisset for marriage.

The office for his affidavit of marriage is called "mokata3a" sorry he does not know the English version for the office name. He has to go the office closest to his home, his name is listed by his residence. My husband stressed that this certificate is only issued once in a person's life for marriage, he cannot loose it. This certificate is now issued because Moroccan law no longer allows for multiple marriages.

Reference the copies, any original forms issued in the states that I provided were photo copies but all got the official stamp. The forms we got there were mostly issued in multiple copies your fiance has to request that, the certificate you get in Rabat is acceptable to make photo copies. His birth cerificate we had multiple copies, his police report issued in multiple copies, physical we made copies. As long as you have one complete copy that goes to the office in Rabat for registration of the marriage. All civil docuements are returned to you (your birth certificate, divorce decrees etc).

Also, you will need to get a physical completed. My husband did his before my arrival and I completed mine once I got there, he made the appointment for me ahead of time.

All government officed in Khemisset during Ramadan are open from 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.

Every office you go to express your time restraints so they can work with your case.

Hope this helps, God bless and good luck...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.