lovers0720

PASSPORT'S LAST NAME

8 posts in this topic

I'm kicking myself right now but I hope that this is not a big deal.

I am from the Philippines and is a green card holder (pending ROC) with extension letter.

I'm in the Philippines right now for 3 weeks for a business trip. I totally forgot that my passport's last name is still my MAIDEN name until I was at the airport checking in for my flight here. They let me pass.

Now, my problem is would it going to be a problem when I go back to US and they see that my passport doesn't have the same last name as my Green Card?

I would want to process the name change while I am here but I didn't bring my birth certificate and marriage certificate.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Feb 07 - met my Dream Guy

Jun 08 - arrived in the US

Jul 08 - ♥♥♥ WEDDING DAY ♥♥♥

Jul 09 - Temp GC received

Mar 12 - 10 yr GC received

Aug 13 - Naturalized

do you have the letter for the extension of the greencard? if so, no worries. You should still have the stamp from your entry to the US the first time before you got married right?

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

do you have the letter for the extension of the greencard? if so, no worries. You should still have the stamp from your entry to the US the first time before you got married right?

Yes and yes, I still have both.

Thanks for the response!

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I didn't have a problem with it coming back. The officer at POE checked the copy and original of my marriage certificate. Just have someone send you your marriage certificate if you dont have it.

AOS from B1B2

06/14/10 – Mailed I-130, 485,765,824

06/16/10 – Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/10 – Received texts & email routed to NBC

06/24/10 – Checks cashed for I-130, 485, 765, 824

06/26/10 – NOA1 for I-130, 485,765, 824

07/17/10 – Received hard copy of RFE 485

08/16/10 – Sent RFE response

08/19/10 – RFE delivered to NBC

08/20/10 – Case resumed online

09/24/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

10/04/10 – Received Service request letter

10/27/10 – Infopass Appt. for Biometrics

11/05/10 – Called USCIS for Biometrics

11/22/10 – Called USCIS Biometrics Service Request

11/23/10 – Wrote & Mail Letter to Congresswoman

12/06/10 – Received Biometrics Letter after 5 months…FINALLY!!!

12/14/10 – Biometrics Done!!

12/15/10 - Card Production Ordered - Online Status-YEHEYY!!!:))

12/28/10 - Received EAD Card!!! Yahoo!! :))

12/30/10 - Applied for SSN

01/03/11 - Received SSN

01/06/11 - Received Interview Letter!! Yahoo!! Feb. 8 it is!!

01/08/11 - Interview Approved!Green Card Stamped on Passport!!

01/14/11 - Approval Notice I-130 & Welcome Letter!

01/18/11 - Received Green Card in the mail..

uzKIm4.png

Daughter's CR-2 Timeline http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=aboutme

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Thanks for this. I will have my husband send me a copy cos I didnt bring it with me :bonk:

I didn't have a problem with it coming back. The officer at POE checked the copy and original of my marriage certificate. Just have someone send you your marriage certificate if you dont have it.

Aug 13 - Naturalized

That is why I am glad my wife kept her maiden name. Passport and GC name is the same. Even so, to travel internationally you must use a goverment issued ID and the name on the ticket MUST match the name on government issued ID. For most former K-1 visa holders that government issued ID is the passport of their home country and for the women the name is typically the maiden name. The complication comes when you want to re-enter the US and the GC is in the married name. Most CBP should be able to realize that you are married and accept the GC and passport with different lastnames wihtout too much trouble, but most people recommend carrying a copy of a marriage certificate to help them make the connection.

Having a copy of your marriage certificate will help, but the rules are that the name on the ticket must match the ID used to check-in with, so I would make certain the name on your return ticket is the same as your passport, or you might get some grief to the point of not being allowed to board that flight--depends on the mood of the person you are dealing with.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Oh dang - i hope that's not the case. My port of entry is in Houston though and I live in Austin. I guess worst case is I will have my husband and drive to Houston to give me the original marriage certificate.

I didnt think about bringing the marriage cert :bonk: but I am gonna have my husband send me a copy. Hopefully i wont have any issues in going back to the US.

Actually my I am more worried about my connecting flight through Japan. Though on my way to Philippines, they only checked my Driver's License and not the passport. But Im afraid they will check my passport and it's gonna be my maiden name.

So far I havent heard of this being an issue. So please yall pray for me :innocent:

Anyway, thanks for your response.

That is why I am glad my wife kept her maiden name. Passport and GC name is the same. Even so, to travel internationally you must use a goverment issued ID and the name on the ticket MUST match the name on government issued ID. For most former K-1 visa holders that government issued ID is the passport of their home country and for the women the name is typically the maiden name. The complication comes when you want to re-enter the US and the GC is in the married name. Most CBP should be able to realize that you are married and accept the GC and passport with different lastnames wihtout too much trouble, but most people recommend carrying a copy of a marriage certificate to help them make the connection.

Having a copy of your marriage certificate will help, but the rules are that the name on the ticket must match the ID used to check-in with, so I would make certain the name on your return ticket is the same as your passport, or you might get some grief to the point of not being allowed to board that flight--depends on the mood of the person you are dealing with.

Good luck,

Dave

Aug 13 - Naturalized

UPDATE: I'm back in the US and didn't have a problem at all. The closest one was when I was still in the Philippines and that is because the attendant seems to be a newbie cos she wasn't sure what to do. But in Japan and in my port of entry (Houston), as soon as I showed them my Greencard and Extension letter, I was all good. :dance:

Thanks for the responses again! :thumbs:

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.