hellomms

Can I get Schengen Visa from The Netherlands?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Wife (USC) and I (US Perm. Resident) are planning a Europe trip in September of this year. We land in Barcelona, spend 3 nights there then fly to Paris and spend 5 Nights there, then to Amsterdam and spend 5 Nights there. Fly from Amsterdam back to Barcelona to spend a night and catch the flight back to the US.

Originally I was planning to get visa from Spain but turns out there is a 2 month wait period to get the interview (and I fly early Sept this year), freaked out a little as we have already made all reservations including European travel and travel in less than 2 months. Did some research and found that I need to apply the Schengen Visa through the European country where I spend the most nights and if I can not determine that then obtain the visa from the country I enter through (Spain).

Since I dont have time to wait 2 months to get visa through Spain, I am planning to apply the Schengen Visa through the Netherlands embassy here in NYC that does Walk-ins everyday. Since we spend equal amount of nights in Paris and Amsterdam, would the Visa officer say that I apply through Spanish Embassy? Or would I have problem landing in Spain with the Visa issued by the Netherlands?

Although we have train tickets from Paris to Amsterdam, I extended the hotel reservation for a night in Amsterdam to show 6 nights. Would that help?

Most of them don't assist Non-US Citizens. Already checked a couple

The length of stay in any country can change once you are there, no one will actually count how many days you were in any country and at the beginning of the trip, no one can tell for sure what will happen. Schengen visa can be used for entry in any country of the area. A walk-in to the Netherlands embassy is maybe the best shot, but, in case that does not work and it is possible to make some itinerary changes, You might be able to land in London and get the visa there, or in Switzerland (both not in the Schengen area)

And, extending the reservation in Amsterdam can get you through the rules if you happen to run into some stickler. You can always change reservations later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The length of stay in any country can change once you are there, no one will actually count how many days you were in any country and at the beginning of the trip, no one can tell for sure what will happen. Schengen visa can be used for entry in any country of the area. A walk-in to the Netherlands embassy is maybe the best shot, but, in case that does not work and it is possible to make some itinerary changes, You might be able to land in London and get the visa there, or in Switzerland (both not in the Schengen area)

And, extending the reservation in Amsterdam can get you through the rules if you happen to run into some stickler. You can always change reservations later.

Thanks, that was helpful. I got an interview appointment at French consulate for mid-August just in case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.