Sign in to follow this  
Andrew_Qin

changes on I-864 just prior to interview

4 posts in this topic

I just discovered that my ex-wife, whom I sponsored many years ago, has recently become a US citizen. Because of this, I am not required to list her on my I-864 as a member of the household (line 21b). I have notified NVC of the change but they advised me that my wife's case has already been forwarded to the Guangzhou consulate that that I would have to address the matter to them. I sent them an email to Guangzhou and they replied that the adjustment can be made at the interview. My question is, can my wife simply make this correction with a pen on the original I-864 I had previously given her, or do I need to print out a whole new I-864 and immediately express it to her so that she receives it in time for her interview?

A further question: I saw the document for my ex-wife's citizenship, but I do not have a copy of it. Would the visa officer insist on a copy (may be hard to get from her), or would he accpet my word?

Unless there's an actual need for the correction, like your income is borderline, I would simply do nothing about updating the affidavit. No need to add complication by bringing it up. If there IS a need, then execute a new affidavit and have your wife explain that the reason for the new one is the Naturalization of your former spouse. You signed under penalty of perjury both times so no reason not to believe you. If you can obtain a copy of the Naturalization Certificate, by all means do so and include it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Unless there's an actual need for the correction, like your income is borderline, I would simply do nothing about updating the affidavit. No need to add complication by bringing it up. If there IS a need, then execute a new affidavit and have your wife explain that the reason for the new one is the Naturalization of your former spouse. You signed under penalty of perjury both times so no reason not to believe you. If you can obtain a copy of the Naturalization Certificate, by all means do so and include it.

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.