jwbthailand

Have SS number but says with DHS approval on it!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well we got our ss number a couple weeks ago and she got a job shortly after! I was told by the SS agent that all I had to do was show her passport and I-94 form and she could work for 90 days! After reading alot of posts on this I'm just confussed. Any ideas will the DHS come after us? With all the stuff around my valley with imigration I'm scared somewhat!

David

Filed: Other Timeline

The employer is actually legally required to ensure their employees are legal to work in the US, and it is the employer who will be fined if they hire illegals.

However, AFAIK, as your wife has a K1, she is only eligible to work until the expiration date on her I-94. After that, she no longer has DHS authorization, and she'd have to quit her job until she receives her EAD.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Well we got our ss number a couple weeks ago and she got a job shortly after! I was told by the SS agent that all I had to do was show her passport and I-94 form and she could work for 90 days! After reading alot of posts on this I'm just confussed. Any ideas will the DHS come after us? With all the stuff around my valley with imigration I'm scared somewhat!

David

the agent told you correctly

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
The employer is actually legally required to ensure their employees are legal to work in the US, and it is the employer who will be fined if they hire illegals.

However, AFAIK, as your wife has a K1, she is only eligible to work until the expiration date on her I-94. After that, she no longer has DHS authorization, and she'd have to quit her job until she receives her EAD.

She could also get into a little trouble, but the Employer is the one who fills in the I9.

I am surprised because CO has had a big crackdown, all over the news.

I am assuming she did not enter via JFK and obtain the temp EAD stamp, sems unlikely.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

rch,

Maybe. Maybe not. Can't know without being told whether there's an 'employment authorized' stamp on that I-94.

Yodrak

David

the agent told you correctly

Timeline

She doesn't have a EAD. She has a K-1 visa, ss# with this written on it"valid for work only with DHSauthorization" However, I was told by the SS officer that with a K-1 visa she could work until her I-94 was expired. Should she quit her job?

David

Timeline

She could also get into a little trouble, but the Employer is the one who fills in the I9.

I am assuming she did not enter via JFK and obtain the temp EAD stamp, sems unlikely.

She got her job from a mom and pop store in my valley. They asked her if she had a SS# and we said yes! I still haven't given them the paper work for the Employment Eligibility Verification or the W-4 forms most use to get work. After reading about the lot of this I'm worried. My timeline in the matter:

Went to SS office to get SS# and was sent to us within 10 days of her entering the Country! The SS officer told us she could work after she had her ss# and showed her I-94. 3 days later we got her a job! After 2 weeks of working I read in the newspaper about all the busting of illegals. I got worried and decided to check out my fiance papers to make sure in the event she somehow got tangled in this stuff I had my ducks in a row. I realize they may not be and the information the SS agent told me was wrong or so it seems from everyone feedback!

So to clarify if my Fiance has a SS number, K-1 visa and a I-94 she still needs a EAD card to work legally?

Since, the paperwork (w-4 and employment eligibility verification) was never filled for her to get "paid" so to say she is ok she was asked if she had a SS# but it wasn't given yet to her employer!

Also, to clarify why this information hasn't been sent in is due to my heavy work load and the inability to help my fiance with filling it out. This laziness on my part will have saved me in the end if we are in fact illegally employing her.

Should she quit her job?

She shouldn't fill out any paper work?

Thanks

David

Timeline

What would a EAD on the I-94 look like?

David

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.