one...two...tree

Down but not out: Voices of the long-term unemployed

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

By the way you just identified another reason not to hire someone with experience.

That they are smart enough to tailor their application to the job?

What exactly do you have against people getting educated and working? Do you hate that people are independent? Why do you keep saying people "can't" do something? That they CAN'T even get a job at a grocery store. Do you really have so little belief in people?

Do you think that myself and Alla and our 4 sons are just "lucky" ?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

If accurate thats one step closer to single payer I suppose.

Me personally? Sure I would dumb down my resume. However, for many that is unethical.

You mean for the ones that stay at home and collect money confiscated from working people? It is unethcial for them? For the ones that make their family struggle on less money than they COULD have if they got off their @ss and worked? Unethical for those people? :lol:

I have to admit, your posts on the subject are nothing if not funny.

whay are you so against people working?

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

That they are smart enough to tailor their application to the job?

What exactly do you have against people getting educated and working? Do you hate that people are independent? Why do you keep saying people "can't" do something? That they CAN'T even get a job at a grocery store. Do you really have so little belief in people?

Do you think that myself and Alla and our 4 sons are just "lucky" ?

Not sure where you are getting any of that. I did say that if a grocery store sees you have experience they probably won't hire you for the examples you provided earlier. Hiding degrees on a resume is an ethical question for some. For me personally, its not.

As to whether or not your lucky I would say yes. I too am lucky. I would say anyone with stability in the present economy is lucky. Experience and work ethic only go so far, everyone needs a bit of luck.

Timeline

So basically, people should lie about their experience on their job applications in order to get a job for which they are over-qualified. Sounds like a winning strategy.......

People should market themselves in a way that best benefits their family and themselves. Big surprise. You prefer people just collect unemployment?

Do you not present a resume or cover letter that is geared to the job you are applying for? Really? Are you serious? You do not try to higlight those parts of your experience that apply to that position and then not even mention the things that are not important? Can you even be serious?

So I am an engineer and if I am unemployed should I clutter my resume with jobs I had when I was 16 years old? 18 years old? How far do you take this? Where do you raw the line on what must be revealed? YOU MUST LIST ALL EXPERIENCE OR YOU ARE A BAD PERSON! :rofl:

People who hate independence, education and working for a living are quite funny in what they will say to defend their position.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You mean for the ones that stay at home and collect money confiscated from working people? It is unethcial for them? For the ones that make their family struggle on less money than they COULD have if they got off their @ss and worked? Unethical for those people? :lol:

I have to admit, your posts on the subject are nothing if not funny.

whay are you so against people working?

You only find them funny because you read things that do not exist. For instance, where have I said I am against people working? Personally, I'd like everyone who wants to work to have a job.

Timeline

Not sure where you are getting any of that. I did say that if a grocery store sees you have experience they probably won't hire you for the examples you provided earlier. Hiding degrees on a resume is an ethical question for some. For me personally, its not.

As to whether or not your lucky I would say yes. I too am lucky. I would say anyone with stability in the present economy is lucky. Experience and work ethic only go so far, everyone needs a bit of luck.

I make my own luck.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If accurate thats one step closer to single payer I suppose.

Single payer doesn't improve the health care provided - it just shifts the cost to the government.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

You only find them funny because you read things that do not exist. For instance, where have I said I am against people working? Personally, I'd like everyone who wants to work to have a job.

It seems you have an excuse for everyone that sits on their @ss. Sorry if I misinterpretted. Have you told your unemployed friend he can make more money working at the grocery store and can even supplement the unemployment?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

People should market themselves in a way that best benefits their family and themselves. Big surprise. You prefer people just collect unemployment?

Do you not present a resume or cover letter that is geared to the job you are applying for? Really? Are you serious? You do not try to higlight those parts of your experience that apply to that position and then not even mention the things that are not important? Can you even be serious?

So I am an engineer and if I am unemployed should I clutter my resume with jobs I had when I was 16 years old? 18 years old? How far do you take this? Where do you raw the line on what must be revealed? YOU MUST LIST ALL EXPERIENCE OR YOU ARE A BAD PERSON! :rofl:

People who hate independence, education and working for a living are quite funny in what they will say to defend their position.

Yes of course I tailor my resume and I've stated twice before that I would have no problem leaving off degrees. However, as I've said before, for some there is an ethical question as to leaving it off.

Lets create an example. Your around 60 right? Lets say you worked as a civil engineer with the same company for 35 years and did no other work. How would you tailor your resume? Would you create fake positions to cover that 35 year period...or say the last 5 years of it?

Timeline

It seems you have an excuse for everyone that sits on their @ss. Sorry if I misinterpretted. Have you told your unemployed friend he can make more money working at the grocery store and can even supplement the unemployment?

I don't think I do. I did have a friend who was wasting her life draining her savings and scraping by on UI without applying for work. Frankly I don't talk to her any longer because I can't stand her. She is pathetic.

So basically, if I have spent the past 15 years of my career in senior management I should explain my experience during that time as "window washer" or "copy girl" in order to get a job bagging groceries? Let's see how that works out when Safeway decide to call my references. Or I guess I should say I haven't been working since the last time I took such a job some 20+ years go. I'm sure that's an equally good strategy to secure gainful employment

By the way, if I have spent the past 15 years earning good $$$ and find myself unemployed due to a corporate whim you bet your bippy I'm going to collect unemployment after paying taxes during that period.

90day.jpg

Timeline

Your around 60 right? Lets say you worked as a civil engineer with the same company for 35 years and did no other work. How would you tailor your resume? Would you create fake positions to cover that 35 year period...or say the last 5 years of it?

No. I am around 53. :lol: After 35 years I would tell them to KISS MY @SS and walk out! Whats the point?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So basically, if I have spent the past 15 years of my career in senior management I should explain my experience during that time as "window washer" or "copy girl" in order to get a job bagging groceries? Let's see how that works out when Safeway decide to call my references. Or I guess I should say I haven't been working since the last time I took such a job some 20+ years go. I'm sure that's an equally good strategy to secure gainful employment

By the way, if I have spent the past 15 years earning good $$$ and find myself unemployed due to a corporate whim you bet your bippy I'm going to collect unemployment after paying taxes during that period.

You do what works for you. I am just guessing anyway as I have never been unemployed. I would collect unemployment AND work. I would probably try to get at least SOME work under the table if I could. My ethics begin at caring for my family, everything else takes a backseat. That's just me.

If you think that Safeway is expecting a long term commitment from a cashier, I think you will find they have a pretty high turnover in those positions. Again all just excuses for lazy people.

Gary And Alla