Paul H

What is required to send in for pkt 3

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For anyone that is sending in forms prior to receiving pkt 3 in the non-existent Canada post. There are two conflicting web pages on the Montreal consulate website on what is required to send in for pkt 3.

This page is what I went by (see 2nd half of page for k-1):

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=immigrant_visa

The other page here has a couple additional requirements to provide 2 passport photos and the biographic passport data. We did not include that and when we received pkt 4 there was an additional letter asking for them.

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=visa_pkt3

The good news is that even though those items were missing they still said it was ok to schedule the interview.

Why they can't wait for the interview to receive them I don't know. I didn't see others including those in the list of requirements for pkt 3, but apparently they want them now.

fyi,

-Paul & Jenni

My fiance received the exact same letter for the passport photos although I initially thought I was supposed to bring them to the interview, I mailed them in through DHL as requested to not cause any problems with my case.

Thanks for this! I think it's good information.

I was told to not bother sending the photos and the biographic page by some posters here and I'm glad I went with my gut and listened to the consulate's website instead. :)

The instructions I got from others were all in good faith and were based on what they had done and had no problems with, but I know that the consulate can and does change the way they do things. :)

Edited by Andy and Kayla

Our Journey

The Beginning

Early 2009 -- Met on WoW

September 2009 -- Fell in love

May 14 2010 - Officially engaged! smile.png

K1 Journey

September 17, 2010 - NOA1

March 14, 2011 - RFE

April 18, 2011 - NOA2

August 12, 2011 - Interview - Approved!

August 20, 2011 - POE

September 10, 2011 - Married!

AOS Journey

November 17, 2011 - AOS packet sent

November 21, 2011 - NOA1

December 14, 2011 - Case transferred

December 28, 2011 - Biometrics appt

January 18, 2012 - EAD/AP approved! Card production ordered!

January 28, 2012 - EAD/AP card in hand

July 2, 2012 - AOS approved! Card production ordered!

July 7, 2012 - GC in hand

Removal of Conitions

April 29, 2014 - Packet sent

May 6, 2014 - NOA1

I sent passport photos with Packet 3 as well, but I was also asked for three more at the interview. Just a heads up. :) I don't know if this is common, but I'm glad I had extras.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent passport photos with Packet 3 as well, but I was also asked for three more at the interview. Just a heads up. :) I don't know if this is common, but I'm glad I had extras.

They asked for 3 more at the interview? I thought they only needed 2 at the interview and 3 at the medical. They are so inconsistent.

-Paul & Jenni

They asked for 3 more at the interview? I thought they only needed 2 at the interview and 3 at the medical. They are so inconsistent.

Yup. I originally wasn't going to take any because I sent some with packet 3, but on the off chance that stuff got lost, I took a few extra. I'm glad I did because it was one of the first things they asked me for.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow I thought they only wanted two as well. I even sent two with my packet 3 and I have two photos currently but I think I'll get some extra ones just in case.

I sent in photos and the biographic information page photocopy with my Packet 3. Others didn't do this and still got approved though, and the consulate website certainly is confusing with those two contradictory pages! Better to err on the side of caution I say.

The good thing is that Montreal has a photobooth for passport pictures right in the waiting area before going up to the main floor where you do your interview. So if it's not something you have at the time, no worries.

The other page here has a couple additional requirements to provide 2 passport photos and the biographic passport data. We did not include that and when we received pkt 4 there was an additional letter asking for them.

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=visa_pkt3

fyi,

This is useful info for future packet 3-ers. After sending in my packet 3 I received a letter asking for 2 photos and my passport bio page. I couldn't schedule the interview yet because they were also asking for my DS-156 again (I'd filled it in by hand the first time, oops!). Based on what some people are saying, it also seems like a good idea to bring passport photos with you to the interview even if you sent some with packet 3, because you never know what they're going to ask you for even if you already sent it. Ahh, bureaucracy... :no:

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

06/??/2011 - NVC received

06/14/2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal

06/20/2011 - Packet 3 sent from Mtl

06/27/2011 - Sent Packet 3 back

07/07/2011 - RFE for Packet 3 sent from Mtl

07/18/2011 - RFE sent to embassy

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

07/25/2011 - Packet 4 sent, interview date made

10/31/2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

11/11/2011 - Visa ready for pickup

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/14/2012 - AOS, EAD, AP forms sent

05/21/2012 - NOA1

08/13/2012 - AOS interview...APPROVED!

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The good thing is that Montreal has a photobooth for passport pictures right in the waiting area before going up to the main floor where you do your interview. So if it's not something you have at the time, no worries.

Ah, great tip. Thank you! I didn't want to waste any more money on photos.

Ah, great tip. Thank you! I didn't want to waste any more money on photos.

I can't remember the cost of the photobooth at the consulate, but it wasn't much. I guess you can wait and see if they ask you for any.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.