Matty A

My Interview YesterdayL!!!!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I had my interview yesterday at the American Embassy in London and just wanted to share my experiences with you all about the day.

Firstly, I broke my ankle on Saturday so after arriving by cab from Victoria station, I hobbled over to Gould's Pharmacy to drop off my blackberry which I had taken with me. Even on crutches it is literally 30 seconds away. £3 later my phone was in a security bag and the guy gave me a raffle ticket as my number.

My appointment was for 8.30am but I arrived at about 7.45. I joined the que at the security gate which consisted of about 45 people already. The lady saw me hobbling in the line and moved everybody out of the way and pushed me to the front of the line, I did say I was early but it seemed to be fine. Next I saw a very friendly chap who checked my passport and appointment letter. Again he moved everybody out of the way and I was first at the security hut. My bag and everything out of my pockets (and crutches) went through the x ray machine, the crutches were handed back and went though the metal detector (obviously going off). The security guard said I was fine and after some friendly banter with the guards about breaking my ankle they asked me to follow the signs for Visas. I tried to say hello to the policeman with the sub machine gun but he just nodded at me.

Once in side at reception the lady checked appointment letter and stuck a label to it and said go up the stairs to the left and check the TV screens for your number, mine was I-909. After about 45 minutes and listening to the drone of the TV screens going off I hobbled up to booth 14. A very grumpy lady who really did not want to be there asked me for my receipt that I had paid the fee, passport, police certificate, birth certificate and affidavit of support. My affidavit consisted of the last 3 years tax returns and W2's, 6 months worth of pay slips and a letter from her employer. My Fiancée is well over the poverty line so I was happy this would be enough. She then asked me for copies of my police certificate and birth certificate only, nothing else. She then asked me for 2 US sized passport photos. She then took my fingerprints for the left and right hand, four fingers first followed by the thumbs. After she realised that I had everything that she has asked and everything was in order, she started to lighten up a little bit and became semi friendly. She then explained that my passport would arrive back via a courier and I was not to open the envelope that came with it. She handed me the courier form and asked me to complete where I would like the passport returned to (work or home address is fine as long as you have ID to sign for it). She asked me to take a seat and wait for my number to be called again and wished me luck. The overall process with her had taken about 15-20 minutes.

After about another 40 minutes I was called again and hobbled up to booth 15 this time. I was greeted by a very nice and very friendly American lady. She asked me about my ankle which calmed my nerves a little bit. She then made me hold up my right hand and swear that the information I had given was as true to the best of my knowledge, obviously I said that it was. She then asked me where me and my fiancée had met. I told her in detail and gave as much information as I could. she then asked when the next time I saw her was after the initial meet, again I elaborated and she listened to my story of travelling back and forth between the UK and US for the last 4 years. The last question she asked was when is the wedding, I told her that it would be at the local courthouse initially and then next year in the summer we would have a blessing so my family and friends could come over. She said that was a good idea and then said she was done and we are finished here. My reaction was to say "is that it" to which she responded yes as all of our paperwork was in order and she was happy. She did ask me if my ankle required surgery to which I said no the cast is coming off on Thursday (she will never know that it has only just been put on). She then made me put my fiancée's name down and sign my name on I think was the DS-156 (I could be wrong), this was the second part that you never completed when filing your paperwork before your interview had been scheduled. The lady asked me to got to go to the courier desk a the back of the hall. We exchanged goodbye's and she wished me luck. All very easy!

At the courier desk they again sent me straight to the front of the que and I said sorry to everybody as I had just massively jumped the line. I paid my £14.80 by card as they do not accept cash, it's card only. She instructed me my passport will be back in about 5 working days. She even open the door for me on the way out. By 10.30am I was on my merry way with a huge smile on my face. I tried to say goodbye to the policeman with the sub machine gun on the way out but he didn't even bat an eyelid!!

The things I learned about the day are:

Everybody is friendly and willing to help you out. You have already been approved so there is no need to panic at all. Try and get there early as this does help. It seems to be a first come first served basis. Be prepared to sit about and wait for a while. Do not take any electronics at all. Watches are ok they will just have to be put through the x ray machine. I took every piece of paperwork I had and you do not need to, only take what is on the US Embassy site.

I hope this helps out and gives you some information that you need. If not then I just hope you enjoyed my very long story.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hey congratulations!! ..best of luck for your future together.

..and I hope the ankle repairs quickly... :yes:

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hope this helps out and gives you some information that you need. If not then I just hope you enjoyed my very long story.

Thank you for sharing! My fiance will have His interview at the London office, and this helps us to know what to expect (minus the broken ankle =p)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.