steveg333

marriage in Colombia

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

This question pertains more to getting Married in Colombia via civil service (notary)

The situation is that I am an american citizen living in the U.S., but was born in the U.K. (England). I became naturalized in

the U.S. when I was a teenager, so I have that official document. The notaries require a birth certificate to be apostilled.

1) Do I order the certificate from the UK and have it "apostilled" here in the USA? and then send it to Colombia

2) Does it have to be apostilled from where it was issued? .....not sure if I can get them to do this.

3) I happen to have my ORIGINAL birth cert from the UK (from the 70s!). Can I use that or, as I understand it, it has to be a

"fresh" copy of the certificate by the UK govt issued within 3 months?

Advice from anyone with knowledge in this matter would be extremely appreciated,

Steve

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Where in the U.S.? Is there a UK consulate (or the embassy) nearby? You should be able to get the UK-issued BC apostilled there, I would think...

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Or, now that I think of it, maybe the issuing authority in the UK has the option of having it apostilled before it is sent to you?

That's how they do it where I was born here in the states. When requesting my BC, I'd have to specify that I need it for apostille and it would be forwarded to another office to do that before finally being sent to me.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was in a similar situation. I was born in Mexico but now a US Citizen. I could not get a Birth Certificate from the Mexican consulate and apostilled in Dallas. I had to go to Mexico and get it done. I got my Birth Certificate and then took it to a different department and got it apostilled. You might be in the same situation.

USCIS: CR-1

02/8/2011: Sent I-130 via USPS

2/18/2011: Received hardcopy of NOA1

5/18/2011: Received hardcopy of NOA2

NVC:

5/23/2011: NVC received petition.

5/25/2011: Called NVC received BGT# & Invoice#, gave emails

5/27/2011: Received email, DS-3032, AOS fee invoice

5/28/2011: Sent DS-3032 by email, Paid AOS fee online.

6/02/2011: AOS fee shows as Paid online, printed coversheet & Sent AOS to NVC, Recieved DS-3032 confirmation by email.

6/03/2011: Received IV fee bill by email

6/04/2011: Paid IV fee online

6/07/2011: IV fee bill shows as paid online

6/08/2011: Sent DS-230 packet to NVC

6/09/2011: NVC received IV packet per USPS

6/22/2011: False RFE for IV packet

6/23/2011: SIF.

6/24/2011: Case Complete

8/01/2011: Interview date assigned.

9/16/2011: Interview

A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D

9/22/2011: CR1 Visa received.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

hi newbie,

actually if you were born in the UK, you must get document apostille in the UK. An apostille seal is only done by the government who issues the document. you cannot have a UK doc and have it apostille by the U.S. government. I used a service that was very helpful in my process, you can email me and i will send you contact if you want. good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.