Sign in to follow this  
cmoore25

Background Checks - freaking out a bit!!!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

So - I'm slightly freaking out right now!!!

I was cleaning out old files and came across a letter I had never opened from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue...this letter is from 2009 and was tucked away in another letter!! Anyway! The letter says that I owe them a little over $100 b/c my tax payment for 2009 was $100 low...I'm on hold with them right now to fix the problem (I would like to know why I haven't gotten another letter from them in the 2 years since...strange!!!)...

Anyway...will this affect our chances of getting a visa? I am at the 3.5 month mark and according to Igors list should receive an NOA2 anytime...but now I'm freaking out that this will possibly show in the background check and we will be denied b/c of a simple overlook on my part 2 years ago.

As I stated, I'm trying to fix this issue now, but it might be too late if the background check is already done...

Thoughts?????

I don't think debts count against you. It's not a crime where your fiance will be in danger if he leaves his country to come live with you. And it's a state issue and not federal government. I don't think USCIS talks to the IRS, much less the state of MA. Just guessing that there is no problem.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thanks - I'm hoping you are right. I'm still on hold to take care of the situation. When I read this letter the first thing that came to mind was the visa - I got so sick to my stomach thinking that my overlook 2 years ago could cost us an NOA2 - and that we might be denied b/c of it...strange thing is - I filed the following year and got a return!

I saw a post below about bankruptcy and a denial and freaked b/c I didn't know if this would show up on a background check too...

BTW - I wanted to thank you again for the packet of info you emailed me regarding the process after the NOA2...I think you emailed it to me in April or so...we are now almost complete prepping everything and owe the smooth sailing to your email!!!! So thanks! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.