delidana

URGENT! 12 days to interview and NVC asking for attorney of record !

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello VJ community,

I would like to ask if any member here has received a letter from NVC, asking for contact information of attorney of record. The confusing part of this question is that we have never used one to submit our petition.

The letter says "if you wish to continue utilizing attorney of record for this case, please provide us with contact information."

That's it.

I called NVC and they told me the attorney of record's name they need, which was a lawyer that filed my I-130 petition 8 years ago. NVC said apparently consulate in Ankara needs information and cannot reach the attorney.

Now how is it that my 129F has no mention of attorney, I checked the box where I declared I prepared the petition myself, they have an attorney of record for it? I don't understand it. We have 12 days to interview what information could they be asking for....

I know I probably will find out once I call the embassy tomorrow, but the phone consultations are only 1 hr window in a day and that's in 15 hrs. I am curious if any of you experienced this, if there is an oversight I should be concerned of.

Thank you all.

Olcay

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Consuls do background checks just like the USCIS and NVC. They have record of your previous I-130 and now they want to contact the lawyer that was part of it and want information from him as part of the background checks.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Consuls do background checks just like the USCIS and NVC. They have record of your previous I-130 and now they want to contact the lawyer that was part of it and want information from him as part of the background checks.

But even though that was my first gut feeling about what is going on, the letter states " if you wish to continue utilizing the attorney of record for this case, please provide us with his/her contact information" this sounds like they assume there is an attorney of record for this current petition.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Mystery somewhat resolved. It turns out they NVC shows an attorney of record for me because I used a divorce lawyer 9 yrs ago, and he still shows in legal system as my power of attorney. NVC told me all I have to do it write a letter to them and ask this attorney of record to be removed. It's still unknown to me how they got a hold of that lawyer, I don't even know where he lives anymore :) Weird.

Lawyer VJ'ers probably help shed light onto this?

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Got an e-mail today and was assured the wrong "attorney of record" was removed from case and that there were no communication/request for evidence etc. that I have missed out because of this. Relief. !!! Those of you who used an attorney in the past for any reason, unless if you remove them after the particular case is over, they remain in the system as your power of attorney. ( I am told by VCS)

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.