qwertyko26

American with filipino fiancee

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

To start things off im sorry, i tried looking around the forums to find the best place to post this so if indeed it is in the wrong place please move it. (thank you)

my name is Jason.

Actually i was born in las vegas so im an american, i moved out here to the philippines in 2005 when my father died, i met this girl and we've been together ever since. I want to bring her back to America with me but the only problem is, when i do go back to america ill be going back to nothing (starting over completely) i have half brothers that live there though i dont talk to. i have about $30,000 to my name. i am 22 years old.

my question is what is the fastest way to get her to america? is it

fiancee visa/spouse visa/tourist visa? or anything else?

i know that when i arrive i have to land myself a job first, get a place etc. i plan on getting my fiancee to go to singapore and other nearby countries to help her pass the visa exam or whatever (read about it online).

i am indeed willing to put the $30,000 that i can spare in her name. actually i really dont want to spend that much time away from her.

if its a faster process if we are already married then i will marry her here.

i dont think the proof that weve been together thing will be a problem because we are crazy about pictures and she has my name tattooed and i have hers.

i hope someone can help me out by telling me which way is the fastest, the estimated cost all in all and the estimated time it will take.

hi jason..

timelines really vary depending on the case. i am a filipina wife with a naturalized USC husband. from what i have been reading through the forums here, you really need to establish domicile ( length of stay, if i am not mistaken ) and tax returns will be asked from you, lenghts of which maybe like from 3 years back. i assume you are now in the philippines, fiancee and spousal visa takes the same timelength, i assume.

one concern that i think is about your financial capacity to sponsor, and since you will be back there on a fresh start, that -i think would be a concern. another option is a co sponsor. many forums here on the website have been posted about it...

i hope you will find your answer thru our most reliable senior posters here from the site.. research much first on the forums here before you make a decision so u have a lot info about it. i regret not getting across this website before we filed our papers, but so far, this site has been a great source of info..

best regards to u and ur girlfriend :D

SERVICE CENTER : California

CONSULATE : Manila

MARRIAGE : Feb 15, 2010

I -130 SENT : April 26, 2011

NOA 1 : May 1, 2011

TOUCHED : May 5, 2011

NOA2 : August 1, 2011

Our I-130 was approved in 92 days from our NOA1 date.

CASE NUMBER ASSSIGNED : Sept. 12, 2011

EMAILED DS3032 : October 6, 2011

AOS FEE BILL PAID : October 11, 2011

IV FEE BILL PAID : October 24, 2011

NVC received AOS and IV packs = Nov. 3, 2011

NVC RESPONSE = Nov. 8, 2011 - RFE for missing proof of relationship with co-sponsor

Mailed RFE file = Nov. 9, 2011

NVC received RFE = November 14, 2011, 9:54 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

CASE CLOSED = Nov. 18, 2011 :D

MEDICAL EXAM = Dec 20-21, 2011 = PASSED!!!

INTERVIEW DATE = January 6, 2012 = APPROVED!!! ----Our interview took 250 days from our I-130 NOA1 date.

VISA PRODUCTION = January 6,2012

VISA DELIVERY = January 11, 2012

POE = Feb.18, 2012

SSN Received = Feb 25, 2012

GC received = April 5, 2012 (incorrect data entry :((, sent back April 9, 2012)

CORRECT GC RECEIVED = August 22, 2012, granted IR1 (10 year gc)

that's where our USCIS process ends for now.. will wait for the next 3-4 years what we'll do next...

9choykrk1el55.png

um4z3ia1n.png

event.png

Thank you for the reply.

ive been researching online and was also thinking that may be a problem the tax return etc. i should be able to find a co sponsor who has been working for a while, will that resolve the issue? i plan on going back before her (obviously) to find a job etc so i can meet the 125% poverty line rate.

what other bases do i need to cover?

and another question, will an immigration attorney really help speed up the process and or raise the possible passing %?

ive read really crazy stories about couples being apart for years.

Hi, and welcome to VJ!

Should you have paid taxes? If not, simply write a letter explaining why you were exempt from paying. If your case is as straight forward as it seems, a lawyer isn't really necessary, will not speed the process up at all, and sometimes slows it down. If you read the guides listed at the top, you should be able to 'do it yourself'.

Edited by Married2009

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Also - a lawyer doesn't raise the chances of getting the visa.

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

She cannot immigrate to the US on a tourist visa. It's illegal to enter the US on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate.

Some people believe it is quicker to bring a fiancee to the US than a spouse. However, the fiancee route ends up costing more than the spouse route because of an extra step - a person entering on a fiancee visa must adjust his/her status which is not required when a spouse enters the US on a CR1 visa. Is a few months worth spending a few thousands? You decide.

In addition to establishing you have a bona fide relationship, you may have a few additional hurdles.

First, you need to show a history of steady income that would allow you to support yourself and your wife. Since you are just returning to the US to look for a job, you will not be able to show a steady history. You will need a joint sponsor - a US citizen or LPR over age 18 who is willing to reimburse the US government if your wife receives certain government benefits.

Second, you need to have file US federal tax returns for the last 3 years, or provide an explanation as to why you did not have to file. US citizens are required to file US tax returns on their worldwide income even when they reside and work completely outside the US. You will need to file those back tax returns if you earned more than the minimum amount required to file.

Third, you need to establish a US domicile (i.e., resident) to petition for your wife/fiancee.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.