jac_chappin

K-1 nterview on 7/14/11

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi!

I hope everyone is doing well.

My fiancee's interview is on 7/14 @ 9:30 and I plan to fly out on Friday 7/8 to be there for her and prepare for interview

We have been preparing.gathering docs for the last few months and have the following evidence:

1. Pictures of my 4 trips to VN since 4/21/10 (when I met her)

2. Boarding passes, receipts, chat logs, phone bills, skype logs

3. Relationship Time line

4. Last three year tax transcript

5. Letter from employer

6. Pay stubs

7. Notarized letter from my family about relationship and signed letter from her's

8. Receipts for Dam Hoi and engagement ring

9. Original forms submitted

10. All required forms and docs (police record, vaccine medial, fee receipt)

11. Money transfer receipts

I think we have everything covered.

The only red flag could be that I'm 40 and fiancee is 22.

Any other advice?

It's much appreciated!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look like you have most of the stuffs...and here are a few more to add to your list:

NOA2

Appointment Letter

Visa photos

Her ID card (CMNN)

Her Passport

Household registration book – Ho Khau

Birth Certificates

Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 w/Letters of Intent

Hand-written letters

Have a safe flight back and good luck on the interview..

good luck!!

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Your list looks really solid Jac. I'm sure you guys will do great!

I had some questions on a few things on your list that I don't hear about as often.

1) Letter from Employer

Is this just a letter verifying your employment or something else?

2) Notorized letter from your family and signed letter from hers.

Do others have experience doing this? For those who have, has it helped you? Jac, were you going to frontload this in your originals folder during the interview?

3) I-134 with letters of intent

Can someone explain the letters of intent part?

As a precautionary measure, you could prepare the notorized 10 year residence timeline for you and the SO just in case it comes to that. That holds true for the list of her relatives in the states.

Our interview is the following week, maybe we can get together?

Wishing you guys nothing but PINK!

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Timeline

Hi!

Everything on your list looks good. The only thing is, I would still bring the money transfer receipts but tell your fiance not to voluntarily give it to the CO. I have heard some crazy things about money transfers and K1 visas. Bring it to the interview, but only show the CO if they ask for it. Everything else looks great. Good luck and keep us posted ok? :)

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Timeline

Hey,

Recently a friend of mine had an interview. He also went back to Vietnam to be with her for the interview.

They ask her if she had anyone that came along with her for the interview. She said her husband came along.

They then proceed to ask him to come in and interviewed both separately while comparing answers. So make sure that you guys prepare answers and practice plenty.

My fiancee's interview is on the 13th of July, just a day ahead of you. I have pretty much everything you have as far as evidences.

I think it's a good idea if you include a 10 years proof of residence just in case. I really don't get why they need it. But apparently some get blue bc they don't have it.

Best of luck!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hand-written letters

Do couples nowadays really still use hand written letters as a form of communication? We already video chat, talk on the phone, email, instant message so why would the consulate think that having hand-written snail mail letters make it appear more serious other than just putting on a show?

Just asking...

Timeline

I think it's not about putting on a show. The VN consulate is one of the toughest consulate so to provide a wide variety of evidence would be best to increase the chances for pink. It is overkill but it will much better position to have extra then to not have it. Having 2 letters a month or so mailed doesn't seem so bad. Especially documents that consulate give blue slips for have to be ready during the interview. You can never know what they will or will not ask for. The goal is to achieve pink and to have that extra is always a good thing.

Timeline

Khoa - I see your point, but has anyone been asked for hand-written letters by the CO? How would you answer if they CO asks why do you send snail mail letters when you already use IM, email, video chat etc - just to trip you up? It could go both ways.

Edited by tcTTct

Doanh, they brought your friend "in"? By "in", is their a separate meeting room or are you saying he just was interviewed at the counter? That sounds like a straight up stokes interview if he was brought in. Interesting...

If you could give the group some specifics of the interview like how long was their respective interviews, what questions were asked, and what was their result, that would be very helpful for the group.

Cheers!

Hey,

Recently a friend of mine had an interview. He also went back to Vietnam to be with her for the interview.

They ask her if she had anyone that came along with her for the interview. She said her husband came along.

They then proceed to ask him to come in and interviewed both separately while comparing answers. So make sure that you guys prepare answers and practice plenty.

My fiancee's interview is on the 13th of July, just a day ahead of you. I have pretty much everything you have as far as evidences.

I think it's a good idea if you include a 10 years proof of residence just in case. I really don't get why they need it. But apparently some get blue bc they don't have it.

Best of luck!

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

Do couples nowadays really still use hand written letters as a form of communication? We already video chat, talk on the phone, email, instant message so why would the consulate think that having hand-written snail mail letters make it appear more serious other than just putting on a show?

Just asking...

I still do think that hand-written letters are old-fashioned but very romantic...especially for fiancee or spousal visas. If I pursue a family/relative visa, then I would not..but this is your half-way-around-the world love-of-your-life. Can you feel how the CO look at it from their point of view?

In this electronic age..yes..it is much more convenience to communicate online, but letters IMO would add a more personal touch to the relationship that you're trying to prove..

At Hang's first interview, the CO asked for any hand-written letters between us. She handled over and they kept it throughout the AP and gave it back just before they approved her visa.

If someone put on a show..I think it's much harder to put on one with hand-written letters than email/chat. Try to sit down and write few pages letter..I don't know about most but for me..it does take a long time to put the thoughts together, especially after just getting off the phone or logging off the IM with her.

Like others have said, you want to give your case a better chance to pass..and whatever little extra effort you think will help..wouldn't you do it!??

Also, I bet your SO would appreciate it when she calls and let you know that she has received your letter today :thumbs:

Timeline

I still do think that hand-written letters are old-fashioned but very romantic...especially for fiancee or spousal visas

Which is probably why Marc included letters from our first time as a couple nearly a quarter of a century ago ;) Those were the ones I kept at my mother's house - my fiance burned hers with her friends when we broke up.

May I ask what was the reason they put you guys in AP?

Edited by tcTTct

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.