6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I had my biometrics done a while ago, but it just occurred to me that I meant to post a heads up to others about something that happened at my appointment.

Firstly, as an aside, my mom and sister were visiting from the UK and were with me at the time. The rules said no phones, so I left my phone with my mom and they took a walk while I was attending the appointment.

This was pretty inconvenient, as I then had no way to contact them when the appointment was over, and they ended up having to wait outside for over half an hour to ensure we could meet up after.

There were six other people in the waiting room with me, all with friends/relatives, and ALL using their phones without security batting an eyelid.

Anyway, ont o the main point:

I was wearing ear rings. I am a body piercer, and thus was wearing proper body jewelry in my ears, which requires the use of pliers to remove.

The security guards told me that I would have ro remove them because they would be taking my photo for my work permit.

I explained to them that removing them would require the use of pliers, and they told me that I would have to go home and remove them and reschedule my appointment.

I told them that it had cost me over $40 to get there in a taxi (no public transport available) and that nowhere on the letter did it say that jewelry wasn't allowed.

Eventually, I went to the bathroom and managed to get the rings out.

I did so by removing my shoelaces and threading them through the rings to get enough leverage to prise them apart. It took nearly half an hour and I think I only managed it at all because of the desperation I felt at the idea of having to reschedule.

I had my fingerprints taken, and they took the photo and stamped my appointment letters, so in the end it was ok.

So, the moral to this story is: don't wear jewelry to your bio appointment even though this (or even the fact that you will be having your photo taken) is not mentioned anywhere on the letter!

Timeline

Incidentally, in case anyone is laughing at the body piercer who needs to use pliers, these were 3mm x 12mm segment rings.

Anyone who knows about these things will understand what a feat it was to remove four of these without any tools...

I have been piercing for 15 years, and I honestly did not believe I'd be able to do it.

It's amazing what can be accomplished through sheer desperation :D

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Incidentally, in case anyone is laughing at the body piercer who needs to use pliers, these were 3mm x 12mm segment rings.

Anyone who knows about these things will understand what a feat it was to remove four of these without any tools...

I have been piercing for 15 years, and I honestly did not believe I'd be able to do it.

It's amazing what can be accomplished through sheer desperation :D

I cannot believe you did all that in the bathroom. Good job!

I brought my phone, put it on silent mode. I have a nose ring on. The lady didn't comment on it. Maybe it is small? I was more concerned about the information she entered into the system, whether information is correct or any typo.

Edited by moSu

April 11th 2011 - Got Married in NY City Hall

May 16th 2011 - Text/Email receipt confirmation by USCIS

May 19th 2011 - Received NOA for I-485, I-130 & I-131

May 31st 2011 - Received NOA for I-765

June 4th 2011 - Received NOA for Biometrics 6/24/2011

June 24th 2011 - Done with Biometrics, Hopefully with no mistakes

July 5th 2011 - Online updates, EAC and AP approved

July 15th 2011 - Received EAD/AP card

Sept 26th 2011 - Online updates, Interview on Nov 1st

Sept 26th 2011 - Received Interview letter (Nov 1st,Federal Plaza,8:15am)

Nov 1st 2011 - Interview ~ Approved!

Nov 4th 2011 - Online Update ~ Card Production :D

Timeline

I left my phone because I had the impression that I would have to go through a security checkpoint, but it turned out that it was just a desk. If I'd known, I could have spared my mom, sister, and baby daughter from standing around in the hot sun for ages.

Incidentally, the lady next to me having her prints taken was wearing a pair of large plastic ear rings. The cynic in me wants to say that security gave me a hard time because I'm pretty heavily tattooed, but life's too short to worry about that kind of thing too much...

Man that sucks....but also wow, I am impressed - with your skills that is. Pulled off a McGyver in the bathroom.

Glad that you got it done and over with.

Hope they don't give you a hard time at interview of that - though they are not supposed to discriminate you by a person's style and looks

I guess they still more approve of a business casual, job interview like look of the applicants.

Good luck on the rest of your AOS journey

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

I had to remove my nose ring as well and, sadly, I couldn't get the *insert expletive* thing back in again :(... It was a fairly new piercing. Now I have to get it redone. That was a very sad day for me...

our timeline

27jan11 - AOS filed
22jun11 - Green Card

27apr13 - ROC filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.