JETA

Employer Change on J-1

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am currently in the USA on a J-1 work and travel visa. CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) is my sponsor. Before arriving to the USA I was hired by Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio. I also worked for Cedar Point through CIEE last summer. I have found another job in the US and would like to cancel my employment with Cedar Point but am being told by Cedar Point and CIEE that I am required to work for Cedar Point for the length of my stay and that I cannot quit or my sponsorship and legal status in the US could be revoked. I understand from reading CIEE's website that if they approve another job for me that I can leave my current position and legally obtain another position and stay in the US.

See the following link which explains changing employers: http://www.ciee.org/wat/work/changing-employer.aspx

I am still being told that I must work for Cedar Point and cannot change employers. Is there any way around this? What would happen if I did not receive CIEE (my sponsor)'s approval and began to work for another employer under by J-1 visa?

Thank you for your help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am currently in the USA on a J-1 work and travel visa. CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) is my sponsor. Before arriving to the USA I was hired by Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio. I also worked for Cedar Point through CIEE last summer. I have found another job in the US and would like to cancel my employment with Cedar Point but am being told by Cedar Point and CIEE that I am required to work for Cedar Point for the length of my stay and that I cannot quit or my sponsorship and legal status in the US could be revoked. I understand from reading CIEE's website that if they approve another job for me that I can leave my current position and legally obtain another position and stay in the US.

See the following link which explains changing employers: http://www.ciee.org/wat/work/changing-employer.aspx

I am still being told that I must work for Cedar Point and cannot change employers. Is there any way around this? What would happen if I did not receive CIEE (my sponsor)'s approval and began to work for another employer under by J-1 visa?

Thank you for your help!

I dont know anything about the J1 visa but maybe these sites can help you figure out if you can change

Do you have a specific sponsor? this site below covers that topic

http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel/

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html#4

06/10/11 Embassy Interview ( Said we were approved but, no visa due to birth certificate correction )

07/12/11 New Appointment to hand in the Original Birth Certificate Finial Approval

07/25/11 Still waiting for Visa to be received

08/04/11 POE at Orlando International

08/20/11 Married

Filed for AOS

Sent AOS,EAD & AP in same package 3/19/2012

Package Tracking Shows it was received 3/21/2012

Check cashed 03/26/2012

Waiting for NOA

Received EAD & AP May 28 2012

Received 2yr green card Sept 15 2012

Thank you for your help!

Hi, i was here in 2007 on the same program but with a different company, all i know is that you shouldn`t change your job without CIEE`s approval because you might have problems later if you wish to return to US. I have heared of people being denied entry because they changed jobs without the company`s approval.

Try contacting CIEE give them the reason why you want to change jobs and wait for their approval before you do.I do not advise you to change your job without their approval as you might have problems if you wish to return to US in the future.Good luck!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Filed: Timeline

if you "cancel your employment with Cedar Point" then your sponsor has the responsibility to cancel your visa sponsorship, health insurance and non-immigrant status in the states. In all likelihood you signed an agreement to work at Cedar Point and that led to you being eligible to get a J-1 visa. You are expected to uphold your end of the deal unless the employer is not doing their part (enough hours or paying below minimum wage for example).

Be responsible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.