Ran4jenny

Magic Jack

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My girl is from Mindinao also, so I know getting her a hard-wire dsl line is a pipe dream. I studied my options carefully, (I have 16 yrs in telecom).

I got her a Tipid Calls phone. here is the deal. I got her a cheap Nokia (UNLOCKED! most cp's are already un-locked, or, "open" as they call them). Tipid calls sent her a sim card (it's owned by oopa/pldt), via LBC pick-up. She cannot make any outgoing calls & the phone only works in her area code, but I call a local access # & can talk to her 24/7 for a flate rate, it cost's 45 buck a month.

http://www.oopacommu.../tipidwireless/

BTW, I been to Butuan couple times, that is cool you been to Mindinao, hit me up some time. All the best to you two!

Leo

oh yeah, they use smart cellular's network for their svc. & most phones sold in the PI are un-locked, obviously that is not the case in the states... Good Luck!

If you both have internet, why are you paying for the magic jack? Why not use skype for free? Or google voice/video ? Both are free, she will need a good internet connection to actually talk/see video. is skycable in her area or pldt? the lowest plans with these arent really good enough

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

OK, here's the story on MJ. Ya either love it or hate it. Ya gotta think it thru why you need this product.

The consensus here is clear that you need a high speed internet connection to begin with to have a successful MJ experience. If you do, then why not just use Skype and video cam? The answer is, if you have Lola who is a computerphobe or totally computer illiterate, then using a standard phone to communicate with loved ones using MJ may be for you.

Ask yourself, "Why pay for MJ with my high speed connection, when I can skype video chat for free?"

Good luck!

:star:

Well, a couple advantages of MJ. You pay a one time 39.99 dollars then 20 dollars every year. They also have like 5 years for 100 dollars. Remember is unlimited call... One of the best part of having a Magic Jack, you can call anybody who has a US numbers, Canadian numbers or VOIP, whether landline or cell phone numbers, no 911 or 311 and 1800 numbers..

My wife always calls me at my work phone number, at home, and most of the time on my cellphones...every weekend, we video skype while using MagicJack... hehe!

When i didn't have MJ, i spent like 100-200+ almost every month on phone cards...

Edited by rhenzhen

05/08/2010: Married
03/18/2011: I-130 Sent
03/21/2011: NOA1 noticed date
05/27/2011: NOA2 noticed date
06/28/2011: NVC finally received our case!
06/30/2011: Case number received!
07/01/2011: Received DS-3032 from NVC
07/04/2011: Wifey e-mailed DS-3032 form to NVC
07/06/2011: Paid AOS bill
07/09/2011: DS-3032 received/processed by NVC
07/11/2011: IV bill received :
07/22/2011: IV bill paid
07/25/2011: AOS/I-864 packet mailed
07/27/2011: AOS/I-864 packet delivered to NVC
08/02/2011: DS-230 packet mailed to NVC
08/03/2011: DS-230 packet delivered to NVC
08/08/2011: Medical Exam Taken
08/09/2011: Medical Results: PASSED! Yehey!

08/10/2011: Case Completed / Sign In Failed

08/12/2011: Interview date assigned : September 19, 8:30am @ USEM... Yay!
09/19/2011: WIFE'S VISA APPROVED!!!
Thank YOU Lord!
09/23/2011: Wife picked up her VISA..
10/24/2011: POE: J.F.K.-NY

ROC

08/26/2013: i-751 mailed

08/28/2013: i-751 received per USPS tracking...

08/29/2013: NOA receipt date

10/04/2013: Biometrics appointment

Well, a couple advantages of MJ. You pay a one time 39.99 dollars then 20 dollars every year. They also have like 5 years for 100 dollars. Remember is unlimited call... One of the best part of having a Magic Jack, you can call anybody who has a US numbers, Canadian numbers or VOIP, whether landline or cell phone numbers, no 911 or 311 and 1800 numbers..

My wife always calls me at my work phone number, at home, and most of the time on my cellphones...every weekend, we video skype while using MagicJack... hehe!

When i didn't have MJ, i spent like 100-200+ almost every month on phone cards...

But you can do the same thing via google for free, i call usa cell phones and landlines all the time and talk as long as I want for free via google. But I think thats usa calls only. Also most smart phones have skype and text free apps where you can text/im/call for free over wifi/3g

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As they always say . . .

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. You have to check which is the best option for you giving biggest consideration of course to the quality of service you guys will be getting.

And if I was to decide, it would not really matter what the cost will be. I mean I think it should all just boil down to one goal - TO BE ABLE TO GET IN TOUCH AND KEEP IN TOUCH! NO MATTER WHAT THE COST!

Y'all agree?!

:thumbs:

11/05/10 - I129 Packet Sent

11/08/10 - NOA1

03/15/11 – Touched! NOA2!!!

4/4/11 - NOA2 APPROVED!

4/8/11 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

4/11/11 - NVC received our case

4/13/11 - NVC mailed case to USEM

4/18/11 - Per DHL tracking, USEM received case

5/3/11 - Email sent to Manila IV Correspondence Unit inquiring about case

5/10/11 - We got our Philippine Passport!!!

5/11/11 - Received reply from Manila IV Correspondence Unit that they received approved petition from NVC and we are eligible to schedule a visa interview...Yippeeeee!

6/2-3/11 - Medical - WE PASSED!

6/14/11 - Interview - APPROVED!

6/15/11 - CFO Seminar

6/14 - 6/30 Now just waiting for our passports with VISA.

6/30 - Email received from USEM - VISA Issued

Now waiting for txt from 2go that VISA's ready to be picked up

AOS Journey:

1/24/12 - Mailed AOS packet to the Chicago Lockbox

1/25/12 - USCIS received packet

1/25/12 - NOA1

2/1/12 - USCIS confirmation receipt received via txt @ 2:46 pm!

2/6/12 - Received NOA letters

2/9/12 - Received Biometrics Appt Letter

2/27/12 - Biometrics Appointment

4/3/12 - EAD Received!

You can text for free from USA to PI and PI to USA

In USA get a MetroPCS (if available in your area) it gives you unlimited talk, text (includes interntional), internet for $45 per month, Taxes and included.

Get a International Roaming SIMS card from PI, and put it in a unlocked phone in USA.

Send free international text from your MetroPCS cellfone, and receive free from PI on your unlocked cellfone......

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Well, I have to say that since we are both typically in front of a computer anyway, the Skype or Gmail video chat works well for us. Connections are bad most days, particularly since I am in a satellite connection, but as mentioned above, the price is right... $FREE.99!!

We do have phones that can be used in an emergency, say when the internet is down, but 99.9% of all our calls are via Skype or Gmail. Personally, I just don't see the need to buy one more piece of equipment to plug in to talk. And if you don't like actually sitting in front of a computer, get a bluetooth headset so you can be mobile with Skype.

:secret: Why waste the 19.95..... yes 19.95 A YEAR!!!

When you both can talk over yahoo messenger if you both have a microphone and speakers. Plus Yahoo is FREE!!!!

:secret: Why waste the 19.95..... yes 19.95 A YEAR!!!

When you both can talk over yahoo messenger if you both have a microphone and speakers. Plus Yahoo is FREE!!!!

Agreed

Plus with Yahoo Messenger you get to use the webcam and thats when the fun really starts................................

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know much about the other services as I have used Magic Jack for years. What I like is not having to be tied to a computer to call the Philippines. We can be hiking/camping, or just driving; call a local number on our cell phone and it rings in the Philippines.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

There are several reasons to use a VOIP product/service like Magic Jack but in my opinion the best one is that it doesn't tie the US side to a single location or phone number. With MJ my wife was able to call my office home or cell phone.

The biggest drawback is that you need to have a computer turned on for MJ to work. Of course Vonage and Packet8 eliminate that issue.

There is another service that eliminates the need for a PC and is 63% cheaper than Vonage, it's called NetTalk. The service quality is comparable to Vonage and it only costs $100 per year! We've been using NetTalk for almost 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't know much about the other services as I have used Magic Jack for years. What I like is not having to be tied to a computer to call the Philippines. We can be hiking/camping, or just driving; call a local number on our cell phone and it rings in the Philippines.

When my fiance and I first met and she was calling me using Magic Jack, it shows up as a local number. Well I figured I get unlimited calling in the US and Canada using my cell, so for the month I was calling her.............OMG when my bill came in!! I went thru the roof. $650.00 cell bill. I need to find a way around that.

When my fiance and I first met and she was calling me using Magic Jack, it shows up as a local number. Well I figured I get unlimited calling in the US and Canada using my cell, so for the month I was calling her.............OMG when my bill came in!! I went thru the roof. $650.00 cell bill. I need to find a way around that.

Get a monthly prepaid cell phone in your area. MetroPCS , Cricket, Boost Mobile, WalMart TalkPhone.

They all run about $40 per month with unlimited talk, Text, Internet...........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.