Max1gk

Italian citizenship and passport for US citizen

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

is there any US citizen of Italian descent that applied for Italian citizenship and passport in any Italian consulate in the States here? My soon to be wife(she's the petitioner) has an Italian-born mother and her father's parents were both Italian citizens straight from Italy. By looking on the website of the Italian consulate in Newark I found out that,by presenting the right documentations,she's eligible to get Italian citizenship. I was wondering if there's anyone who did the same cause I'd be very interested in them sharing their experiences. Thanks :)

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Eligibility for Italian citizenship is hinged upon whether or not it was previously renounced by the ancestor. Depending on time period (after 1946?)- there are exclusions from that also.

One other thing- make certain you understand all the positives and negatives of dual citizenship with Italy. For one- you are automatically excluded from ever having a security clearance here in the USA, etc. Also- there might be tax implications in the future.

Timeline

Eligibility for Italian citizenship is hinged upon whether or not it was previously renounced by the ancestor. Depending on time period (after 1946?)- there are exclusions from that also.

One other thing- make certain you understand all the positives and negatives of dual citizenship with Italy. For one- you are automatically excluded from ever having a security clearance here in the USA, etc. Also- there might be tax implications in the future.

Yes both her parents were born well after January 1st 1948 and her mother never renounced to her Italian citizenship. About tax implications there are no problems as long as she's resident in the US..still for her It'd be a chance to be a EU citizen too,you never know in the future.

hi max,

i'm not how soon she wanted/needed italian citizenship, but she can easily apply for italian citizenship after 3 years of being married to an italian citizen (you, i'm assuming :)) - she could apply after 2 years if she was an italian resident during those two years. be sure that your marriage is registered with the anagrafe to make sure it is in italian public record and you'll be fine!

applying for citizenship via jure sanguinis (through her parents), will involve a precise and sometimes tedious application process, and sometimes could take just as long.

if you want to save yourself the hassle, just wait out the 3 years! if you want more info on getting italian citizenship through jure sanguinis, have your wife check out: expatsinitaly.com. there are a lot of italian citizen hopefuls that are going through the process and they share their experience here!

good luck!

Timeline

hi max,

i'm not how soon she wanted/needed italian citizenship, but she can easily apply for italian citizenship after 3 years of being married to an italian citizen (you, i'm assuming :)) - she could apply after 2 years if she was an italian resident during those two years. be sure that your marriage is registered with the anagrafe to make sure it is in italian public record and you'll be fine!

applying for citizenship via jure sanguinis (through her parents), will involve a precise and sometimes tedious application process, and sometimes could take just as long.

if you want to save yourself the hassle, just wait out the 3 years! if you want more info on getting italian citizenship through jure sanguinis, have your wife check out: expatsinitaly.com. there are a lot of italian citizen hopefuls that are going through the process and they share their experience here!

good luck!

Thanks for your input Katie, Yes I'm the Italian citizen :) I was aware that after 3 years she can technically apply for citizenship through our marriage,and exactly because of the wait I prefer to have her apply via jure sanguinis to shorten the amount of time. Nor that we're gonna go anywhere in the next future apart from living in the States anyway..It's that kind of things that her parents should have done many years ago,but apparentely some first generation immigrants tend to forget too early and too easily from where they come from and cut the bridges with superficiallity..wrong, considering how important now instead is to have an IT or other member state passport in the reallity of the European Union nowadays. I'm gonna check out that website,thank you :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.