nikolacolada

DS-260 Mistake

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I filled out the DS-260 for my fiance and when it came to the question of if he had lived in any other address since the age of 16 I, not thinking, put "NO"... although he has used the same address as his permanent address since he as 15, he has in fact rented other apartments.

His permanent address, the one that shows on all of his ID's and any official document including bank statements, has been the same since he was 15 and he still uses it for mail and lists it as his address for any official document

but I am now in Mexico with him and for the past few years we have rented an apartment together.

I guess my question is: is my putting "no" going to cause a problem since he obviously has had another address even if he doesn't receive mail here... and if it is going to cause a problem is there any way to remedy the situation? -- our interview is July 6th..

I can't believe I put "no" when it should have been "yes" :bonk: I'm worried I messed everything up!

Timeline

I found this transcript of a chat with Laurel Scott

Laurel(A) One HUGE disadvantage of the new DS-260 is that it is very difficult or impossible (I haven't done it enough times yet to be sure it's impossible) to send it to the client for review before submitting. We as attorneys have to come up with a new form that we create ourselves so that we can show it to the client before copying the information on the new online DS-260. This represents double the work of the old DS-230. There hasn't really been enough time yet for us as attorneys to develop such a new form. The DS-260 is too new. I'm not making excuses for your attorney. While it's almost impossible not to make ANY mistakes on the new DS-260 [it's just too much detailed, mundane information to be typed in without client review and not make any errors in the spelling of names and addresses and the numbers on passports and various dates], it does sound like there were some key errors in what was submitted. Just write down on a separate sheet of paper what needs to be fixed and give it to the consular officer at the beginning of the appointment.

So I guess this is what I'll do since no one else seems to have a suggestion-- just posting this here in case someone else ever runs into a problem.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I filled out the DS-260 for my fiance and when it came to the question of if he had lived in any other address since the age of 16 I, not thinking, put "NO"... although he has used the same address as his permanent address since he as 15, he has in fact rented other apartments.

His permanent address, the one that shows on all of his ID's and any official document including bank statements, has been the same since he was 15 and he still uses it for mail and lists it as his address for any official document

but I am now in Mexico with him and for the past few years we have rented an apartment together.

I guess my question is: is my putting "no" going to cause a problem since he obviously has had another address even if he doesn't receive mail here... and if it is going to cause a problem is there any way to remedy the situation? -- our interview is July 6th..

I can't believe I put "no" when it should have been "yes" :bonk: I'm worried I messed everything up!

Yeah well you can't fix it now so just have it all written out on paper and take with you to interview. It may not even come up but if it does just tell the truth and explain what happened and have the other addresses he has lived at. Should be ok people make mistakes all the time on forms.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Yeah well you can't fix it now so just have it all written out on paper and take with you to interview. It may not even come up but if it does just tell the truth and explain what happened and have the other addresses he has lived at. Should be ok people make mistakes all the time on forms.

yeah we're just going to write down on a piece of paper the other addresses and he can give it to them at the interview. Hopefully it will all be ok.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I dont think it will cause a problem, I have lived in A LOT of different addresses since the age of 16 (apartments specially when I was in college) but I did not mention them all, there were too many!!! and Just like your fiance, I have always have the same permanent address and all my ID's show it.

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Timeline

I dont think it will cause a problem, I have lived in A LOT of different addresses since the age of 16 (apartments specially when I was in college) but I did not mention them all, there were too many!!! and Just like your fiance, I have always have the same permanent address and all my ID's show it.

did you write them all down on the DS-260 or leave them off? I left them off only because they weren't ever his permanent address..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

did you write them all down on the DS-260 or leave them off? I left them off only because they weren't ever his permanent address..

No, I completely omitted them. I dont even remember the addresses!

I just wrote:

2009 -now: my current permanent address,

2008-2009: the 3 addresses where I live in the US (because I am sure they have it on file and I actually wrote them too on the Bio info) and finally,

1985-2008: (current) permanent address.

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.