dukespecial

When is the best time to return to the US and I-864 queries!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

We are intending to make the move to America well myself (UK) with my wife returning earlier in the process to prove domicile and get work.

Our situation is that we expect to apply in January next year and then delay sending back the documents to meet our timescale, however after the I-130 is approved then my wife would be able to move back to the US?

If this is correct then what is the best time to this in order to prove domicile and income. How many months before should she return to the US before I will have my interview?

Also in regards to the I-864 we expect to begin with income will only be at $12000 a year so we intended to bridge that gap with assets, so with income of $12000 am I right in my calculations that the minimum we would need to save is about $20000 in cash assets?

One final question is how do you prove income, is it wage slips and bank statements and over what time period. It seems no matter what information we try to find on visas, most of it is conflicting!!

Any pointers would be great, thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. Technically, your wife can move back as soon as the I-130 is filed. It's better to wait until it is approved though, just in case there are problems. She doesn't need long in the USA to prove domicile, a couple of weeks to get a lease/ buy a home and get some bills in her name is enough. Getting a job may take longer of course in the current economy!

2. If it is just the two of you, and you have $12'000 income (how do you know this already?), you will need about $7000 x3 = $21'000 in assets.

Wages (if the job hasn't been long enough to have tax statements) are proved by payslips and a letter from the employer. A couple of months worth are ideal, but it all depends on the consulate and CO.

Keep in mind there are major changes for DCF come August: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=2b2a3e70369ff210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply!

Firstly that is great new, I thought it may take longer to prove domicile, and definitely to the job thing which is why we are thinking going back about 4 months early may be the way to go!

We are basing the income off her previous position as it is likely she could just step back into the same job which is why I stated $12000, thank you for confirming that it is correct, if we knew we could cover it would a joint sponsor still be useful?

Seems fine about the wage situation too, we plan to have at least 3 months so that should be all good!

Those major changes are just in case there is not an office in your country, we are in the UK so it does not affect us and we still file to London?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You are correct, London has a USCIS office so nothing will change right away, but it may, so do keep an eye on any policy changes. Another thing to keep in mind is that currently, the London website warns that processing even of DCF cases can take up to 10 months, so even without you delaying things on your end, it may take a while to get the interview/ visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.