pinkhonu

DMV License / Learner's Permit

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

got a question on the license.. just passed my written test at the DMV today...

i was told by a lady before that i didn't need a learner's permit and just have to take the written test and the driving test...

i scheduled my driving test next week.. but the guy that handled my case only gave me a CLASS E learner's permit..

i already have a foreign driver's license... so i thought i wouldn't need a permit..

i'm trying to find the answers on the website.. and tried calling them too.. but no one was picking up. sigh..

anyway, i'm getting frustrated trying to find answers on their website... just going over and over the same pages and still couldn't find the answer.

maybe somebody can enlighten me about this matter.

just in case you would be asking too.. they didn't let me take a course coz i already have a foreign driver's license.

so they only let me took the written test which i passed.

i just want to know why i have to go through this.

because i think it's silly ---- no... not because i already have a license... it's silly because i would have to pay another $48 for the CLASS E license since they're giving me a CLASS E learners license (which i would still have to wait for 30 days for) right now i just have a piece of paper that serves as a driver's permit.

THANKS in advance! i know if i can count on anyone it's the VJ members! ;)

just want to add also.. that they won't let me take the driving test next week yet... :/ i don't know why exactly.. i need clarifications on that too.

i do know you have to have 50 hours on your learner's permit before you can have a driver's license... but i don't understand this policy... :wacko:

IR-5 Petition Parent (this is going to be a long journey)

02.12.2018 - I130 form sent (via USPS) 

02.21.2018 - I130 form delivered (via USPS) mail shipment delayed delivery

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

02.24.2018 - Text Notification received 

03.05.2018 - NOA1 Received

10.05.2018 - NOA2 Received (NOA date 10.02.2018) -- Petition approved.  Petition sent to NVC in Portsmouth, NH  

Timeline

updated:

this might shed some light... just read this...

First Time Driver

Anyone getting their first drivers license in Florida must take the required DATA course and DMV Test. This applies to adults and teens alike. If you are over 18 you would do the following to get your first drivers license:

Complete the first time driver course (DATA)

Take a DMV Test preperation and practice test course

Complete the DMV test - at this point you can get your learner permit if desired

Take the Behind the Wheel driving test at your local DMV

Get your Operators License

i didn't take that DATA course, by the way.

i think i still have to have this learner's permit no matter what... sigh...

i'll call them again tomorrow to clarify this.

but if anyone else had the same experience.. please do share it with me. thanks :star:

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

10.05.2018 - NOA2 Received (NOA date 10.02.2018) -- Petition approved.  Petition sent to NVC in Portsmouth, NH  

You just passed your written test? You must practice driving many hours before taking the road test. Going to a 6 hr professional driving school is highly recommended, both for your driving skills AND the relationship.

ScreamingMan.jpg

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

You won't get a full driving license until you've taken and passed the road test. The driving element with an examiner. The permit you have been issued with allows you to drive with a qualified license holding driver.

Don't know which state you're in, but some of them allow you to be your own qualified license holder by using your foreign license, sometimes for up to a year. That was really useful for me when I was in Hawaii and hubby was deployed, until I actually took the road test. You'd need to confirm with your local DMV office what the rules are for your state.

Hope this helps! :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Timeline

ummm... i'm not sure if you've read what i wrote... but i am a licensed driver abroad.. i drove a manual... standard h BIG suv for more than 5 years... driving here specially with an automatic gear wouldn't be a problem. i just want to be able to drive "legally" :)

because a learner's permit would only let me drive with a licensed driver in the car... how will i be able to legally drive to work then?

Edited by Chris and Ainee

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

Timeline

You won't get a full driving license until you've taken and passed the road test. The driving element with an examiner. The permit you have been issued with allows you to drive with a qualified license holding driver.

Don't know which state you're in, but some of them allow you to be your own qualified license holder by using your foreign license, sometimes for up to a year. That was really useful for me when I was in Hawaii and hubby was deployed, until I actually took the road test. You'd need to confirm with your local DMV office what the rules are for your state.

Hope this helps! :)

thanks britroad.. yes i do know that.. my only problem is.. they wont allow me to take the driving test YET... that's what i want to know.

yes they do that.. you can drive here for a year.. if you have entered as a tourist.. otherwise you can only drive for 30 days with your foreign license.. not unless if you have also brought an international driver's license with you. :)

i am in florida. :)

Edited by Chris and Ainee

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

Timeline

"the relationship?" what was that suppose to mean boing? care to elaborate on that?

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

Timeline

they didn't let me take the DATA course because i already have a foreign license. just to clarify. :)

if anyone here who has a foreign driver's license.. you don't need to take the DATA course in Florida to get a license. ;)

i just want to know why i need a learner's permit to be able to take the driving test when they didn't even require me to take that DATA course when it's one of the requirements too for getting their US driver's license for the first time.

the reason why i'm asking here is because i've been calling them for months now before receiving my gc in the mail to verify what i needed to do to acquire a driver's license. mind you the information was always different every time i called. one associate would tell me something then another associate would tell me otherwise. sigh...

tip: if you haven't received your GC yet and you apply for a driver's license or just an ID from your local dmv using your EAD card, then they will register you as a non-immigrant and you would still have to go back and apply for another driver's license or ID so that they can update the information and indicate that you are now an IMMIGRANT. going back to the DMV and getting a new license or ID means you would have to pay them another $48. i made sure that i wouldn't have to do this that's why i made sure than when i went to our local DMV office i already have my gc with me. but none of those so called associates informed me of any learner's permit since they said i already have a foreign license.

i just really need to know if anyone else had this inconvenience.

i will still call the DMV office tomorrow and wait for 15 minutes on the line before being able to talk to an associate again.. which would probably have a different answer when I call them again 15 minutes later. sigh....

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

then escalate your call.. look for a supervisor or manager and tell him/her that you asked same question but everytime you call their associates have different answers.

Timeline

i now have an update on this issue.

i have finally spoken to a really nice lady who have been patient with me even with all my questions.

she should have because i have waited 30 minutes on the phone listening to the automated messages.

they do warn you about the estimated time though... and yes... they said that the est. waiting time would be 30 minutes.

anyway, this is what i got from her.

basically... i don't need to wait for my learner's permit card to take the driving test because...

1. i have taken the road rules and road sign test and have passed.

2. i am already over 18 years old.

3. i have my temporary driving permit in hand

i just hate that i cancelled my appointment because i thought i wouldn't be able to take the driving test next week.

but then again you can just do a walk-in and just wait in line :)

02.23.2018 - NOA1 Date 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.