kristydarling

Canadian citizens renewing passports from the US

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Are there any Canadians that have tried to renew their passport from the US? I am a little worried because I sent in my renewal along with new photos, but as I'm reading the photo requirements (after the fact), I understand that Canada doesn't accept the American 2" x 2" photo style?!?!?! What the heck?!!? Has anyone had their passport renewal rejected because they sent in 2x2 photos?? So frustrating...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are there any Canadians that have tried to renew their passport from the US? I am a little worried because I sent in my renewal along with new photos, but as I'm reading the photo requirements (after the fact), I understand that Canada doesn't accept the American 2" x 2" photo style?!?!?! What the heck?!!? Has anyone had their passport renewal rejected because they sent in 2x2 photos?? So frustrating...

I renewed my Canadian passport from the US last year, I went to a photo store and had regular passport pictures taken and then we tried to cut them more to Canadian requirement size. I know that my pcitures were not exactly the size Passport Canada asks for, but I got my passport without any problems.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife renewed her passport last year from the states. We found a place locally that would do Canadian passport photos - we went to an independent place, but I think I remember that Sears would do it, too. They'll cut to the right proportion and sign the back of one. It might be easiest to just find some place locally to get the photos taken correctly the first time. Good luck.

Edited by sciencenerd

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Timeline

My wife renewed her passport last year from the states. We found a place locally that would do Canadian passport photos - we went to an independent place, but I think I remember that Sears would do it, too. They'll cut to the right proportion and sign the back of one. It might be easiest to just find some place locally to get the photos taken correctly the first time. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll check out Sears if my application gets rejected. :/

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm in the process of doing mine. For the photos I went to Walgreen's. Their machine will let them frame and size the photos to Canadian specs (though it took them 3 tries with the camera to take the picture so there was the right amount of space above and below my face), but they only had the 2 inch by 2 inch cutter. So they just left the pictures uncut. I had them sign and address-stamp the back of one of them per the Canadian specs, then I cut them using the paper cutter at my work to get them to come out the right size. World class pain. In. The. Rear. :)

[speaking of pains in the rear, then I had to Fedex the application to Passport Canada, because of the postal strike, and the Fedex lady didn't tell me I needed to fill out an extra form, so the whole thing got held up for 3 extra days until I could fax them the form they needed. But that's another story.]

They received the application on the 7th, and processed the CC payment on the 14th, so I'd probably have heard by now if they rejected the application for out-of-format photos. But I was pretty careful. The only deviation from the specs was that the stamped and signed photo didn't say "Walgreens" on the back, because the printer printed that on a different part of the paper. I included the piece of scrap (after cutting) that had that printing on the back. I'm virtually certain the application will go fine, but I'll let you all know if something comes up.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Thanks for the info Heatdeath.

My passport got rejected, again. This time because they didn't feel the background was uniformly white. So much for my trip back home this summer. Haven't seen my family in 2.5 years. Guess it'll have to be next summer. bleah@!!

Timeline

Kristy,

What is your status in the US? It says K-1 but you have been in the US for 2 1/2 years so I am suspecting you just haven't updated your profile and you are a permanent resident, yes?

If that is so, is it feasible for you to fly to a US city close to where you want to go in Canada so you can then cross at a land border crossing? That way you won't need to use your passport. You can use your US id to fly, then cross the border with a birth certificate. Canadians who are permanent residents in the US are allowed to rent cars in the US to drive into Canada. While in Canada you can then visit a Canadian Passport Office, apply in person for an expedited passport and have it in time to fly back home - either directly to the US or by reversing your arrival process and using a land border crossing.

I doubt it will help any but the majority of rejected passport applications from within Canada are also rejected due to photograph problems. US passport photographic standards are not as stringent as the Canadian ones are so many US passport photographers are not used to taking the degree of attention to detail that Canada requires.

Like others here did, when I filed for my passport from the US, I had a local photography studio do the photographs to Canadian standards (they took the image at 1 x enlarged from the US standard then used their Kodak printer to print it 'sideways' which got the head and shoulders to the right size, then custom cut the exterior dimensions to the Canadian requirements. I brought the photograph sheet with me - it took them 4 tries to get it right.)

It cost more but I couriered it to the Passport Office in Quebec and it was couriered back to me - turn around time was about 10 days - so you may still be able to get a Canadian passport processed in time to travel as well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Hi Kathryn:

Yes, I am a permanent resident now. Just haven't gotten around to updating my profile!

Unfortunately, I need a passport to cross a land border as well. A birth certificate is no longer sufficient. The alternative would be to apply for a NEXUS card which would take more time than the passport.

Wow, your turn around time for your passport was quick. There still may be hope. I called Sears, as one person suggested, and sure enough, they do Canadian style passport photos.

Thanks for the info.

Timeline

Hi Kathryn:

Yes, I am a permanent resident now. Just haven't gotten around to updating my profile!

Unfortunately, I need a passport to cross a land border as well. A birth certificate is no longer sufficient. The alternative would be to apply for a NEXUS card which would take more time than the passport.

Wow, your turn around time for your passport was quick. There still may be hope. I called Sears, as one person suggested, and sure enough, they do Canadian style passport photos.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, you don't need a passport to enter Canada as a Canadian - you just need proof of your citizenship. You may be required to show a passport to board a plane travelling to Canada or face a delay with the identification you do have. Here is the published link from Canadian Border Services about what is required: http://www.cbsa-asfc...6-eng.html#s2x1 .

And here is from a CBSA news release regarding 2011 summer travel plans:

</h3>

<h3>Have proper identification

Make sure you are carrying proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you in the vehicle. A passport is not mandatory for entry into Canada, but it is a preferable piece of identification. If you are a Canadian or American citizen or a permanent resident of either country, other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's licence, a birth certificate with accompanying photo ID such as a regular driver's licence, a permanent resident or green card, a citizenship card or citizenship or naturalization certificate, or a certificate of Indian Status.

Keep in mind that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is now in effect. This is a U.S. law requiring all travellers to the United States to present a valid passport or other approved secure document.

Consult the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) web page for more information.

http://www.cbsa-asfc...05-17b-eng.html

Your green card is supposed to be sufficient to allow you re-entry to the US but many of us have had our passports requested as well. If you do decide to renew your passport in Canada, however, you would have it on your return to the US along with your green card.

Yes, I found couriering my application to Canada not only got it there faster (especially now, ha! with the postal strike on) but I was able to see exactly when it got there. Passport Canada then couriered it back so it was really quick. I also used Wolfe's Camera btw as someone else mentioned above.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

FYI, my passport showed up this morning.

They received the application (via Fedex) on the 7th.

They charged the CC on the 14th.

The issue-date on the passport is the 21st (10 business days after they received the application, half their stated timeline of 20 business days. Good on them.).

They Fedex-overnighted it back to me on the 27th (which they may not do anymore - their website reports that they're back to business as usual now that Canada Post has been legislated back to work), and it arrived this morning.

Apparently my photos were good enough. :D

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Additional note:

I had requested my old passport be sent back to me. It arrived with two punches, symmetrically spaced close to the corners, through the front cover and id page, but not all the way through the passport book, which seemed interesting. The page opposite the id page, while not punched through, had a "Canceled" stamp in blank ink applied in the center.

The big cardboard envelope contained just the two passports and the standard little information flyer they include telling you to sign the new passport, etc. There was no receipt for the fee. Which is relevant to me because my work is reimbursing me for the renewal fee since I need the passport for work related travel. So it's good that I've already received the CC statement with the charge, as it seems that's all the records you get for the passport renewal fee.

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.