Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

What to do if I have to move during the naturalization process?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I'm currently a greencard holder. I've been a PR for a pretty long time and would like to become a USC ASAP but my husband is in the Army and we have moved so many times that I have never had a chance to file the papers. We just found out that we will have to move again (we haven't been too lucky because this is gonna be our 8th move in 4 years) and I don't know what to do. If we file for citizenship here, how much of a delay will that cause in the application process? Or is it better to wait until we get to our new place? Is it a big deal to get a transfer to another USCIS field office?

As I know, there is a 3-month residency requirement in the new state. Will I have to fulfill that even though this is a move because of the military? Do they put the case on hold for 3 months?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Timeline

Short answer: yes, wait until your move is complete, then file the AR-11, then wait 90 days, then file the N-400.

While it's possible to move while an N-400 is adjudicated, it's like trying to redirect a train that's traveling at full speed. It may work, or it may cause it to derail with much damage. I've personally read cases where applicants were desperately trying to get their case back on track 2 years after they mailed in their N-400. I personally would not take that chance. While I understand that you want to become a US citizen as quickly as possible, here it really makes sense to play it safe.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia

Been awhile since I was in the military, but JAG was more than just a TV show as was the inspector generals office. Never married a gal overseas, but some of my buddies have and I know they got help from these military attorneys as did their dependents. But cannot give you any specifics. Just never got involved with that.

Just seems if the military is bouncing you all over the place, that I can vouch for, they call that the specific military branch, NEEDS. That the USCIS should give you special privileges, after all, your husband is defending their lazy butts and at very low pay at that.

Just something to check into.

They say it never hurts to ask, but you may find that answer very painful.

Practically all military bases have these attorneys, if you don't know who to ask, try your chaplain, they seem to know all that stuff.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...