sharky

N400 form; filling out dates of departure over last 5 years

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've just come back from a two week trip to visit family in the UK and found that in 2007 I went back to the UK for a short visit. I don't, however, remember the dates and was wondering of this would be a problem when I fill in my N400 form next month. I was going to ask the immigration officer when he swiped my green card if he knew the dates when I came back this time, but he was soooooo miserable I couldn't be bothered getting him more annoyed :whistle:

anyhow I'm sure lots of people can't remember the exact dates for trips out of the country for the last 5 years, but I'd be interested in knowing VJ's opinion on this one!

:thumbs:

Hey everyone,

I've just come back from a two week trip to visit family in the UK and found that in 2007 I went back to the UK for a short visit. I don't, however, remember the dates and was wondering of this would be a problem when I fill in my N400 form next month. I was going to ask the immigration officer when he swiped my green card if he knew the dates when I came back this time, but he was soooooo miserable I couldn't be bothered getting him more annoyed :whistle:

anyhow I'm sure lots of people can't remember the exact dates for trips out of the country for the last 5 years, but I'd be interested in knowing VJ's opinion on this one!

Actually everything transaction you have made was on your passport.here how it works.just count the days those previous travel for the past 5 years "2006-2011".then calculate all days..so be sure not over 190 days prior for citizenship..IO are very strict onto this.if IO will asked you WHY during on your day interview ?it should be a valid reason..answer them straight and be specific.. Most of the things that need to be concerned are: Tax Year, Travel Time Outside US which is Your Residency if its stable,Identity background and also you need to past the Civic Test(Reading,Written,Speaking).

Actually everything transaction you have made was on your passport.here how it works.just count the days those previous travel for the past 5 years "2006-2011".then calculate all days..so be sure not over 190 days prior for citizenship..IO are very strict onto this.if IO will asked you WHY during on your day interview ?it should be a valid reason..answer them straight and be specific.. Most of the things that need to be concerned are: Tax Year, Travel Time Outside US which is Your Residency if its stable,Identity background and also you need to past the Civic Test(Reading,Written,Speaking).

Hi Mex,

Thanks for the information. Yes you are right, that information would have been on my passport, BUT I have a new one, the old one is gone and so the information pertaining to the 2007 trip is gone too! I know I haven't been out of the country for more than 190 days in the last 5 years, but I also know I was out in 2007 for 2 weeks but can't remember when!

What I need to know is how can I get this information, and if I don't include this on the N400, will that be a problem?

cheers

Paul

Any family who would know for sure, maybe they keep their diaries? Any record of the tickets? Email? Ask the airline or travel agent you arranged your travel with? Check your bank statements to see who who bought the tickets from...?

Yeah Joan has a point..those are one of your option.Okay pertaining of your old passport that has to be keep.but you said is gone .what you can do is try to ask the airline costumer service if you still remember the airline.For sure they would have all your records for travel.if you do have Airline Miles you can check that online to track all of your travel dates.Remember Think twice or more till you'll catch up!!!good luck

Yeah Joan has a point..those are one of your option.Okay pertaining of your old passport that has to be keep.but you said is gone .what you can do is try to ask the airline costumer service if you still remember the airline.For sure they would have all your records for travel.if you do have Airline Miles you can check that online to track all of your travel dates.Remember Think twice or more till you'll catch up!!!good luck

Thanks to both of you for that, have checked Expedia (but they don't have those details that far back) diaries, family etc and no one can remember the dates. I'll check with my bank statement to locate the airline, that may help.

There is one way of actually getting the details the official way however, that I found out. It seems USCIS doesn't actually keep this information, but customs and border protection does. You can fill out a form to request all the dates you left the country, BUT it takes 8-10 weeks (quickest time) and there's no way of expediting it. This doesn't work for me because I am filing my N400 next month and I can't wait for this form to come back.

SO what I would like to know is, what would be the consequences if I just didn't included this trip and just said at the interview, "I think I went back to the UK in 2007, but I just can't remember the dates" in my N400 interview? Would that cause problems?

Paul

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since they only want to know your trips for the last five years, one thing you can do is to start a new five year cycle and this time keep track of your trips, employment, and addresses.

Can only share experiences on the expired passport, wifes' IO wanted to see it as well as her current foreign passport, but this is not to imply your IO would also want to see yours.

Maybe I spoiled my wife and stepdaughter, they left their home country and everything behind it, made a promise to them I would learn and handle their immigration so kept their records as time went by. By simply asking one simple question at our AOS, what is ahead of us? Was told the I-751 and N-400, so when we got home, downloaded the forms and all the instructions. Even printed out a large sign that was pasted to our refrigerator door so we would meet those dates. Even had most of those forms filled out, but had to do some copying and pasting for the latest updated forms.

Ha, use to be a boy scout, first thing they taught us was to be prepared. Still a bit brainwashed from the USCIS, if something comes in the mail, is this evidence I should save? I definitely need therapy after seven years of this #######.

Your IO may not only want correct dates, but proof of those dates, only a crystal ball can tell what they want. How do you do that if you pitched your old passport? Wife was going to pitch hers, said, NO, you need that.

Since they only want to know your trips for the last five years, one thing you can do is to start a new five year cycle and this time keep track of your trips, employment, and addresses.

Can only share experiences on the expired passport, wifes' IO wanted to see it as well as her current foreign passport, but this is not to imply your IO would also want to see yours.

Maybe I spoiled my wife and stepdaughter, they left their home country and everything behind it, made a promise to them I would learn and handle their immigration so kept their records as time went by. By simply asking one simple question at our AOS, what is ahead of us? Was told the I-751 and N-400, so when we got home, downloaded the forms and all the instructions. Even printed out a large sign that was pasted to our refrigerator door so we would meet those dates. Even had most of those forms filled out, but had to do some copying and pasting for the latest updated forms.

Ha, use to be a boy scout, first thing they taught us was to be prepared. Still a bit brainwashed from the USCIS, if something comes in the mail, is this evidence I should save? I definitely need therapy after seven years of this #######.

Your IO may not only want correct dates, but proof of those dates, only a crystal ball can tell what they want. How do you do that if you pitched your old passport? Wife was going to pitch hers, said, NO, you need that.

OK I've read the N400 and am familiar with the naturalization guidelines (read on VJ) and NOWHERE does it say "keep your old passport" once it has expired!!! So no I didn't keep my old passport, why should I? It would only have the date of return to the US stamped in there anyway.

SO my question again is, will it be a problem if I can't remember a 2 week holiday back to the UK in 2007, when filling out the N400? Of course I realize that each IO will be different, but if they see that I did indeed go back in 2007 and that I didn't include it, ask me about it in the N400 interview and I am simply tell them the truth and say that I didn't know the EXACT dates, would that be OK?

It's not like I am trying to be deceitful or lie about something, I just simply can not remember the dates and have NO way (apart from G639 form) of knowing whether I did indeed travel or not.

I appreciate answers that begin "in hindsight you should have collected everything...." but it doesn't help me make my next decision

Edited by sharky

Filed: Timeline

Please do NOT worry about your 2 week travel.

Its not gonna be a problem.

Either state an approximate time like feb-march 2007 on the N400 or

use a separete sheet and inform them that u dont have the excact date but

u know it was in 2007 for 2 weeks or

tell them at the interview.

You should NOT have any problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.