MY HOPE

supporting

3 posts in this topic

hello guys tell me are the moneygram reciepts are good evidances as well to show on the interview date beside the affidavit of support ?

Marriage (if applicable): 2012-02-04

I-130 Sent : 2013-02-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-04

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2013-10-15

NVC Received : 2013-10-31

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2013-11-23

Pay I-864 Bill 2013-11-29

Receive I-864 Package : 2013-12-03

Return Completed I-864 : 2013-12-06

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2013-12-19

Receive IV Bill : 2013-12-25

Pay IV Bill : 2013-12-25

Receive Instruction Package : 2013-12-27

Case Completed at NVC : 2014-02-20

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

The affidavit of support shows that you are willing to take financial responsibility of your spouse for 10 years, once they become a lawful conditional and later permanent resident. They are supposed to ensure that the new permanent resident will not become a financial "burden" to the US (be on welfare, state help, etc). In it the petitioner(US citizen) basically shows they he/she has good employment history and earns 125% of the poverty line in the US, which would ensure ability to support the new spouse in case the spouse can't find a job for a while.

I am not sure what moneygram receipts you are talking about. But the way I read it, you have been sending your spouse abroad money to financially support them. Now be careful with this scenario because it can easily be misconstrued as something it is not. It doesn't look good to the USCIS if the foreign spouse has been sending you money (in a sense paying to marry...) It needs to be a bona fide marriage to get any immigration benefits.

Correct me if I am going off on a different subject or give more info to be able to get more accurate help! Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In general, keep in mind that the whole point of the K-1 visa is to establish that 1) the petitioner and beneficiary have met at least once in the last two years, 2) that there is evidence of a bona fide and legitimate relationship, and 3) that the petitioner (or cosponsor) can meet the minimum requirements of the affidavit of support.

If your fiancé(e) -- the U.S. citizen -- is sending you money, that can be included as evidence to support the application. But more important is airline boarding passes from visits, passport stamps, photographs of you together, a few emails, letters, etc. -- that sort of thing.

The affidavit of support itself is not "evidence" -- it is the necessary proof that the petitioner or cosponsor can support you well enough to prevent you from becoming a public charge if you are granted the K-1.

There are a lot of threads on this if you use the search button. I'm not sure of the specifics for Morocco, but a lot of people front-load the K-1 application with evidence so that the consulate has it already when the interview comes around.

Good luck.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.