8 posts in this topic

We received our biometrics appointment letter a few weeks ago, scheduled for the one week my husband will be out of town since he moved here (of course) on June 15th. We're going on our honeymoon next week. He went to the center last Friday and they refused a walk-in, and took his letter and said they would file for a reschedule for him. This was over a week ago and all we received was an identical notice to the first one with the same date (June 15th) today. Did anyone else get two of the same notices in the mail?

We're getting very worried! We're not sure if this is a duplicate notice or if they scheduled us again for the same day. We only have 1 more week until we leave and we don't know what to do. He's going to mail the letter again tomorrow with a cover letter saying that we received another notice for the same day and that we weren't sure if this was the rescheduled appointment and that we need a different date. We're not sure if the reschedule is still in the mail. We tried calling USCIS and typically they were no help. I also tried to make an Infopass appointment but the website says I can't do that unless our EAD is over 45 days pending. Is this true?

He going back to the center first thing on Monday and pleading his case. What should we do? We can't reschedule the honeymoon this late in the game and we're terrified they've mixed something up and if he doesn't show to his appointment on the 15th they'll reject our application. :help:

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Can't speak to the reschedule notice but I'd head on back to the ASC and ask again - perhaps (with sugar and honey) ask to speak to the center's manager/supervisor.

If they're not swamped, there should be no real reason not to let you take the biometrics then and there (it's maybe a 15-minute thing after all). At the very least, they should be able to tell you about the rescheduling.

What should have happened is that you were to make a copy of your biometrics appointment letter, or it would have been nice for them to do this for you, before using the form to schedule another appointment. If you have a concern regarding an AOS application case, on that form it recommends for you to call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5282. There you will share with them your concern regarding your biometrics appointment. If all goes well during the call, you should then be given a case number. Remember, when you call you must “both” be present during the call, and you need to have your biometrics I-797C application number. This number was listed on your form. In fact, when you call you will be required to type this number in via the telephone pad. This should get you a good start. As well, there is a possibility that they are in the process of rescheduling your appointment. Normally, the biometrics appointments are scheduled in advance, thus this should not hinder your trip. At least you will have some peace of mind after you call the USCIS NCS line and get a case number.

What should have happened is that you were to make a copy of your biometrics appointment letter, or it would have been nice for them to do this for you, before using the form to schedule another appointment. If you have a concern regarding an AOS application case, on that form it recommends for you to call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5282. There you will share with them your concern regarding your biometrics appointment. If all goes well during the call, you should then be given a case number. Remember, when you call you must “both” be present during the call, and you need to have your biometrics I-797C application number. This number was listed on your form. In fact, when you call you will be required to type this number in via the telephone pad. This should get you a good start. As well, there is a possibility that they are in the process of rescheduling your appointment. Normally, the biometrics appointments are scheduled in advance, thus this should not hinder your trip. At least you will have some peace of mind after you call the USCIS NCS line and get a case number.

We did make a copy of the original letter. My husband made copies before bringing it to the center. They took the original at the center and said they'd send it in for us to reschedule. We also called USCIS already (the number on the biometrics letter), per the above post. All they told him was to send the biometrics letter back in to reschedule (what we had already done). We did not receive a case number. They were completely unhelpful. It's been over a week since the center supposedly mailed in the request and all we've gotten was an identical June 15th biometrics appointment letter (same notice date, it looks to be a duplicate).

My husband wrote a detailed cover letter today explaining everything and sent another copy of the form back in this morning just to be on the safe side. He's also going back to the center with a copy of our flight itinerary and begging them to let him do a walk-in. We shall see.

I'm just worried we won't get a reschedule notice before the 15th and they'll file us away somewhere in a black hole when he doesn't show up to the originally scheduled appointment. :(

Edited by gap1

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Just wanted to say that I am really praying that they let you do a walk-in. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Goodluck :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Depending on the office you might be able to walk-in. Based on our biometrics, we searched the JV site to see if others were successful at a walk in relating to our specific office, and discovered that no one had been allowed in early. Thus, we just maintained the actual scheduled date. You indicated it has just been one week since you submitted your reschedule. Unfortunately, nothing seems to happen fast with the USCIS or maybe on very rare occasions. The good news is you most likely will attend your trip, and then when you get back, hopefully a letter will be in the mail box. At this conjuncture, you seem to be taking all the proper steps. While you may be delayed a bit, you are still on your AOS track. The best recommendation here is to set an appointment for an “Info Pass” when you get back from your honeymoon. With the “info pass” you will get a chance to talk face-to-face with a USCIS representative. Again, this process is slow, with the exception of an inquiry regarding your “GC.” Nevertheless, the important perspective here is to stay on track. Maybe others will chime in with more options, but for now, enjoy your trip and have fun. Both of you will be in our prayers.

Oh, I forgot to share something with you. Not that it will make you feel any better, but just to share our story. We recently went to our AOS interview on May 26, 2011. We passed the interview with flying colors. The officer called us about an hour and a half later on our cell phone and reaffirmed our approval. However, stated that he could not see our digital biometrics information in the computer. Thus, we have not received an approval letter as of yet, and we are in “limbo” regarding our “GC.” Not to mention we closing on a contract for a new home and the lender might apply a condition to the contract that my wife must show proof of permanent residency. Therefore, we feel your pain! (Smile)

Thanks for your input, everyone! We took a two-pronged approach. My husband express mailed another reschedule request with a detailed cover letter on Friday (so it arrived this morning). He then waited until late afternoon and showed up at the center again, this time with our flight reservation confirmation. Since they received his request this morning they were able to see that he had already gone through the paperwork and they were not nearly as busy as the first time he tried. After some sad faces they finally let him do a walk-in and he's officially processed! :dance:

They just don't make anything easy, do they?

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.