nottoolong

Thai passport question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone,

We're almost 4 months since receiving the NOA1, and the questions are mounting. I have to double check with my fiance in Thailand, but I'm not sure about her passport to come here. What is the usual time frame to receive a Thai passport? I have to see if she has the required 6 months from when the visa could be issued. Then, I'm not sure if she has to get a new one or just renewed. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Renewing a Thai Passport would entail receiving a new one. The process can be expedited. My wife received a new Thai Passport in less than four hours.

Once in America, it can be renewed at the Thai Embassy in Washington DC or at one of the consulates.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone,

We're almost 4 months since receiving the NOA1, and the questions are mounting. I have to double check with my fiance in Thailand, but I'm not sure about her passport to come here. What is the usual time frame to receive a Thai passport? I have to see if she has the required 6 months from when the visa could be issued. Then, I'm not sure if she has to get a new one or just renewed. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

It took a week to get mine. If hers will expire within a short time ( 6 months ) of arrival I would have her get a new one there. I know people that got them in L A & it was a real pain.

Timeline

It took a week to get mine. If hers will expire within a short time ( 6 months ) of arrival I would have her get a new one there. I know people that got them in L A & it was a real pain.

Thank you ThaitoUSA and Ning. That doesn't seem too long to wait. I still haven't spoken with her tonight, but I'll check. The big thing is when it will expire of course, so I want that to be all set. Would she have to go to Bangkok to have this done, or just in her hometown? I'm sure she knows, but I'm just curious until I talk with her. There are so many things that need to be done after I receive the NOA2 (hopefully soon!), but I'm just trying to get things in line now.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you ThaitoUSA and Ning. That doesn't seem too long to wait. I still haven't spoken with her tonight, but I'll check. The big thing is when it will expire of course, so I want that to be all set. Would she have to go to Bangkok to have this done, or just in her hometown? I'm sure she knows, but I'm just curious until I talk with her. There are so many things that need to be done after I receive the NOA2 (hopefully soon!), but I'm just trying to get things in line now.

You are doing fine & this will all be ok. Anything you may have missed wont be a show stopper. There are places around Thailand where she can get her passport taken care of. I went to Khon Khen for example. Its easy to do.

Timeline

You are doing fine & this will all be ok. Anything you may have missed wont be a show stopper. There are places around Thailand where she can get her passport taken care of. I went to Khon Khen for example. Its easy to do.

Thank you again Ning. I know things will all work out in time. I'm glad there are more places where she can go other than Bangkok for the passport. All that's coming up can be overwhelming (Vaccinations, physical, police certificate, forms), but we'll get there. Just have to get that NOA2 first!

You answered a question I had about vaccinations a couple weeks back, thank you. Once the NOA2 is received she can go for the physical and to obtain the police certification in Bangkok. It's a 5 hour drive, so she can get both done while there for a couple days. I've have her obtain the necessary vaccinations either before, or soon after I receive the NOA2 locally to save some money, like you suggested. I saw on the Embassy's website that physicals are only in those two hospitals in Bangkok (or Chiang Mai). Has that changed? That will be ok though, as she needs the police cert. in Bangkok anyway.

Thank you once again.

Nottoolong, you are correct. There are only 2 places in Bangkok and 2 places in Chiang Mai you can go for the medical. Here is link to the 4 hospitals where it can be done. My link. I emailed both BNH and Bumrungrad about making an appointment and Bumrungrad wanted me to make an appointment and BNH said we could just show up. I went with Pui back in April to BNH it took about 3 hours or so. When Pui got her police report she had to go back and pick it up a few weeks later but I have heard of some people having it mailed to their house.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

Nottoolong, you are correct. There are only 2 places in Bangkok and 2 places in Chiang Mai you can go for the medical. Here is link to the 4 hospitals where it can be done. My link. I emailed both BNH and Bumrungrad about making an appointment and Bumrungrad wanted me to make an appointment and BNH said we could just show up. I went with Pui back in April to BNH it took about 3 hours or so. When Pui got her police report she had to go back and pick it up a few weeks later but I have heard of some people having it mailed to their house.

Sounds good Andy. Where did you get the instructions in your link? Is this something that will come when I receive the NOA2? That's good to know about the two hospitals in Bangkok. I wish I could go with her, but she'll bring one of her friends or family members. That would be nice if they mailed the police report.

About the instructions in the link, it says to take the attached forms. Are these more documents that will come when we receive more instructions for the medical exam? And I apologize for this last question. This also says to bring 3 1 x 1 1/2 in. photos for the exam. Are these dimensions really required? For the interview, the 2 photos required are 2 x 2. Seems they should be able to accept the same passport style photos?

Thank you again.

No problem. To get those instructions I just typed this in a google search "packet 3 bangkok". That should have all the info that will be needed for packet 3, the medical, and the police report. Yes, that is the info you will need to do after you get your NOA2. I can only say about our experience at BNH, you do not need to bring pictures because they took her photo when she checked in and they also provide the documents to be filled out for the embassy. I did not look at the detailed bill when we were done so I do not know if they charged for the pics and the documents. Oh yeah, the price it says for the medical is just for the medical, if you have to get shots or other things it will cost more but if you get the shots at a local hospital and bring the records to the medical that I am guessing would be cheaper.

This talk of passport pics reminds me I need to call Pui and now just make sure she two 2x2 pics for her interview next week.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

No problem. To get those instructions I just typed this in a google search "packet 3 bangkok". That should have all the info that will be needed for packet 3, the medical, and the police report. Yes, that is the info you will need to do after you get your NOA2. I can only say about our experience at BNH, you do not need to bring pictures because they took her photo when she checked in and they also provide the documents to be filled out for the embassy. I did not look at the detailed bill when we were done so I do not know if they charged for the pics and the documents. Oh yeah, the price it says for the medical is just for the medical, if you have to get shots or other things it will cost more but if you get the shots at a local hospital and bring the records to the medical that I am guessing would be cheaper.

This talk of passport pics reminds me I need to call Pui and now just make sure she two 2x2 pics for her interview next week.

Thanks Andy. I will do a search and check that out. I'm glad about the photos. It seems a bit more confusing when they want a different dimension than what's needed at the actual interview. I'll keep BNH in mind for sure though and watch for any additional charges. That's ok though. I'm aware of the prices of the medical only. I'll surely have her bring the records of the shots when she goes to the exam. Good luck to the both of you next week!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.